Ares Games

Thread: Formation flying

Default Formation flying

Looking for ideas on managing formations in WGS. Trying to plan maneuvers sufficient to maintain a vic of Spitfires is.....challenging at best. What methods have the collective minds tried, and to what effect?

Lightbulb

I have used a simple solution for both Wildcats & Spits & Hurries by using the exact manoeuvres for both Aircraft until combat was joined. Worked OK for me

Since most WW2 aircraft had radios, communication between team members to allow formation flying should be permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Looking for ideas on managing formations in WGS. Trying to plan maneuvers sufficient to maintain a vic of Spitfires is.....challenging at best. What methods have the collective minds tried, and to what effect?
    In WW1 games I've used a simple method for when like planes are in formation - only the formation leader plots movement and the others maintain position relative to it. I tend to use the range ruler centred across the back of the base of the lead aircraft with the 2nd & 3rd machines plotted at each end. When planes leave formation, they start plotting movement independently.
    The 2nd & 3rd planes may not 'move right' but I've found it the best way to move them in formation - should work for WW2 OK too especially with the more flexible speeds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V Formation Flying 2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	239787

You can even adjust the formation by sliding the models in or out.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I use the stands, with each winger touching the appropriate front corner of their stand with a back corner of the lead's stand. Plan only the lead's maneuvers. It is too easy to use, and doesn't distort the movement speed of the wingers too much.

If this seems too close, remember that the planes are way over-scale to the ground/shooting scale. The ground scale of 1/2275 makes this formation huge in reality.

Not a Vic of spits, but this idea works for any formation: Skype Players Forum - WGS Version: Post

The link post formation for a letter of bombers would work for a bomber box, too, if you placed the fourth bomber at the rear center of the formation.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-22-2018 at 09:46.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

LittleDogma

Flash, I like your simple method to maintain the formation by using a WoG ruler. Clever, I hadn't thought of that one.

Similar Missions

1. Formation flying
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2016, 14:26
  2. Airbus Formation Flying
    By Nightmoss in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 03:08
  3. The benefits of formation flying
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 60