Ares Games

Thread: Fokker-Leimberger - Now this is a machinegun !

Default Fokker-Leimberger - Now this is a machinegun !

I was looking at cannon related images in response to comments on the tripods thread when I stumbled across this little beauty... a motor powered, multi barrelled machine gun built during WW1 & info that one type of gun was actually tested in combat !
    Anyway, thought I'd post it here for the historical discussion chaps who may otherwise miss it in the other thread.

The Fokker-Leimberger was an early example of an externally powered machine gun of Imperial German origin that predated the M134 Minigun. It had 12 barrels and could fire over 7200RPM The weapon was experimented with during World War I until the armistice with the last development example retained by the late A.H.G. Fokker as his personal property. Most probably he transferred this weapon with other personal belongings to the United States until his death in 1939. Its possible the Fokker-Leimberger was discovered for re-evaluation during the development of the M61 Vulcan.
    http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Fokker-Leimberger

Though how you get off the ground with the ammo required might be a thing but what a kite shredder !

Apparently Siemens produced a similar engine driven weapon that was tested in combat & a kill claimed - fitted to some Jasta 5 & 58 aircraft for testing purposes. RoF given as 1400rpm !
    "Early Aircraft Armament, The Aeroplane and the Gun up to 1918" by Harry Woodman has references if anybody has that book.

The most advanced design was developed in Austro-Hungary; the Gebauer, a twin-barrelled weapon which was successfully tested (on Aviatik D.I, D.II and D.III) and ordered in quantity, but appears to have been just too late to be used in the First World War, although a D.I armed with a Gebauer is claimed to have seen service with the Hungarian Red Airborne Corps postwar. The Gebauer weighed 21 kg and could fire at up to 1,600 rpm.

"Flying Guns – World War 1: Development of Aircraft Guns, Ammunition and Installations 1914-32" by Tony Williams has reference to these weapons also.
    Last edited by flash; 12-16-2017 at 02:18.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Interesting design, but how would it work with synchronization gear?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Karl
    I Would think that a reversal to pushers could be the answer but you would need to pull a glider for the ammo!

Karl
    No idea, they either sorted it or mounted outside the arc - the Siemens weapon, which I cannot find a picture of, was mounted in Alb D.Va & Pfalz D.XII and claimed a victory so they managed that issue one way or the other - it may have worked in a similar manner by stopping the hammer falling; the number of rounds out between prop sweeps would be much greater.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

It wouldn't be the first time that some military S&T has reached a point where it works but someone says "OK, but how do we actually use it?"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    No idea, they either sorted it or mounted outside the arc - the Siemens weapon, which I cannot find a picture of, was mounted in Alb D.Va & Pfalz D.XII and claimed a victory so they managed that issue one way or the other - it may have worked in a similar manner by stopping the hammer falling; the number of rounds out between prop sweeps would be much greater.
    Well, that's true, it did work.
    As or impacting the Vulcan cannon, I think the more likely route is inspiration from the gatling gun.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    It wouldn't be the first time that some military S&T has reached a point where it works but someone says "OK, but how do we actually use it?"
    Oh, many, many times
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Well, that's true, it did work.
    As or impacting the Vulcan cannon, I think the more likely route is inspiration from the gatling gun.

Oh, many, many times
    Karl

If they had reverted to the 'battle plane' concept and mounted them on a twin-engined bomber, they would have been a nasty shock for Entente pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If they had reverted to the 'battle plane' concept and mounted them on a twin-engined bomber, they would have been a nasty shock for Entente pilots.
    But for the engine drive to work, it would need to be fixed, most probably over the engine, no?
    Otherwise, you would have a nightmare of drive belts
    Karl

Learned something today, thanks

They would be formidable anti-aircraft weapons against low flying planes either on land or at sea.

Similar Missions

1. WSF For the Fokker Company's 100th Birthday, a Fokker D.II
    By jbmacek in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 07:34
  2. Fokker D.VII vs Fokker D.VIIF
    By Mike W in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 14:41
  3. Recent Purchases - Fokker DVII (Goering) and Fokker DVII (Schafer)
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 00:53
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 06:16
  5. Fokker DV `The forgotten Fokker`
    By batesyboy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 07:15