Ares Games

Thread: May, 24th, 1918 Journal of Fliegen Kinderscheißen

Default May, 24th, 1918 Journal of Fliegen Kinderscheißen

The Derflinger was being reloaded by a collier and resupplied by a collier. A small coastal warship was standing nearby, and Rot Skullen had us flying cover over the Battlecruser. Low to the west, I spotted a pair of large dots surrounded by five smaller specks. I turned my Spad to the west and went on. A pair of those new experimental weird single wing D8’s and a trio of more reliable D7, and one of those weird Schusters. That pilot is like his craft. Rot must have had problems with his aircraft, for he entered the area later, well after we had been in the air.

As I got closer, I could identify a pair of large British seaplanes, three of those new Snipes the allies were throwing into the fight, a Breguet and a Spad. The Breguet headed straight for the battle cruiser, Rot and Roland breaking to intercept. One of the seaplanes turn to the supply freighter, and the second to the battle cruiser. I passed head on with the Spad, trading shots, don‘t know if I hit; I saw his machine guns flashing on his cowling, but didn’t see any holes appear in my plane. I pulled the stick to the left and pushed my pedals hard, and banked my plane into the seaplane. I depressed the trigger as I passed I passed close enough to see the holes from my guns put holes in the rear fuselage of the plane. I passed low and behind , trying to avoid the gunners field of fire. I saw a damn weird sight. Torpedoes were slung to the bottom of those planes. Never saw that before, but lots of new things were being tried in this war. My confusion caused me to wander in front of one of those damn Snipes. He stitched me, but the plane was still responsive, he missed anything vital, like the engine or me. I shot back, but didn’t see if my shots strike home, we passed too fast. I banked left again, circling back towards the bomber. It reminded me of a Shepard chasing down a Schnauzer. I shot again, the seaplane ignored me for another fighter was closer, Roland I think. The one seaplane was dropping lower to the water. I heard the roar of the guns from the smaller warship. I quickly scanned to see if a submarine had gotten too close, or another surface ship was closing on the stopped Derfflinger. The guns roared again, and I saw where the shot went, it struck just in front of the bomber, the splash showering the water over the front of the bomber. The Shots were trying to knock the plane out of the water with the fountain from the guns! The battle cruiser opened up, but the second bomber was too high. The first bomber dropped its torpedoes, and I watched the track of torpedoes. One passed under the freighter, the second hit the side, sending a geyser of water went up the side of the ship. The bomber got too close to the ship, and in banking away, clipped the rigging, causing the wings to fold in and the plane dropped into the sea.

I concentrated on the second bomber, I was coming from below, off on his starboard side, I came in guns blazing. Shots fired back, again my plane was still airworthy. I crossed his tail, taking hits as I crossed. I banked to the right. The Bomber dropped to water level, and the guns from the cruiser couldn’t be depressed low enough to strike the water this close to the battle cruiser. I saw Roland Oland Noland in his Schuster and Rot Skullen close in on it. Just as they opened up, the torpedoes hit the water, then a few seconds later, bomber burst into flames, crashing into the bay. A pair of twin geysers leaped skyward at the stern of the ship as the torpedoes struck home. Rot and Noland banked away, to pursue the Breguet. I angled my Spad to cut him off. Noland and Rot shot him down before he got too far. I turned to chase a Snipe, that was leaving the area.

Looking over my shoulder, the Derflinger was afloat, but the freighter was settling in the water by the stern, the crew was putting out lifeboats.

Doc and his wingman in the D8’s plus Ivana Mandicplz were dueling with the Snipes and the Spad, Ivana’s plane caught fire, but he dove and the flames went out. Doc’s wingman, in an attempt at an Immleman, spun out of control and crashed into the bay. I could see the pilot swimming to safety. Maybe there is a reason that planes have two wings. Two of the snipes chose to leave the scene. I continued to chase the third, but then realized I was chasing Benny Hill, with the marking of an old guy getting smacked in the head painted on the side. I didn’t want to tangle with him alone. I banked off his tail to try and angle onto the Allied Spad. Ivana and myself tried to sandwich him in, but the Spad pulled away from the D7, and I just didn’t have the angle. We banked our planes into a turn and headed back to the aerodrome, Leaving the Spad to fly alone into the distance. My tenth kill is just going to have to wait.

After landing at the field, it turns out that the Derfflinger had two engine room hits, causing the ship to be out of action for a while. The Freighter, was sunk, loosing all cargo, but the crew was ok.

Hun in the sun

Nice Post

Cool

Good story, and I like that is a sea battle!!!

Great AAR. Felt like I was right there watching it happen!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Similar Missions

1. May 15, 1918
    By Raffvantye in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 23:43
  2. October 24th History
    By Anav in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 15:03
  3. Bloody September, 1918
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6