Ares Games

Thread: Art for the War Room

Default Art for the War Room

Had a bit of a result when visiting a junk/retro store in Lewes today - managed to pick up a framed print of this image for a tenner, thought it would look nice up in the 'Orderly Room' and it looked familiar.

It's an artwork done by GH (George Horace) Davis in 1919 - apparently called 'Putting Out The Eyes' or something like that - Davis was a British illustrator who created many pictures for the Illustrated London News and who also painted some of the most iconic images of WWI aerial combat as well as technical & cut away drawings many of us will have seen. Later on he added WW2 aircraft and Naval images to his portfolio amongst many other subjects.
    http://downthetubes.net/?p=29350

Well it caught my eye amongst the other treasures and bric-a-brac, I will get a pic of it soon.

"He is wise who watches"

Great find, Dave! I'm not sure that I've seen it before, but something about it strikes a familiar chord.

Thanks for sharing the artist's bio, as well.

Nice find, Dave. I've seen a number of Davis' works, including a couple that were published in Life Magazine in the 60s.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thumbs up

That was a great catch Dave!
    Will certainly enhance the Games Room.

That was a great 'find', Dave! Like Christopher, it seems vaguely familiar to me. Was there a movie poster based on it, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    That was a great 'find', Dave! Like Christopher, it seems vaguely familiar to me. Was there a movie poster based on it, perhaps?
    No idea David, it is described as one of his well known 'iconic' pieces of work though and I recognised some of his other work - this being one of them from the IWM:

This is called 'Closing Up' - A bombing formation of British DH9a biplanes closing up to beat off an enemy formation of Fokker triplanes, 1919 oil on canvas.
    Last edited by flash; 01-17-2018 at 05:36.

"He is wise who watches"

Yep - these are really classy paintings. Nice one Dave

Finally got round to adding the pic of the pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_9775.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	240552
    Worth every penny !

"He is wise who watches"

Looks good; a great addition to the war room.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Very nice atmospheric art.

Thanks, it kinda sets the tone against some of my more frivolous acquisitions for the war room.

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

This sounds like a good topic for a new thread, Dave - or perhaps one already exists? The War Room, or Where I Play Games - you should post pics of your Man Cave for all to see and admire. Then others could do the same, sharing their gaming spaces and decor - I'm sure we'd see some splendid stuff

All the best,
    Matt

That would be a nice thread Matt - between rooms just now myself - decorating before downsizing - though I'm angling for an outbuilding of some sort once we move that I can trick out as my war room with an 8x6 table, storage for all my toys, hammock etc !
    I have the 'Orderly Room' sign from my old unit, some metal posters, a mock RAF sector clock, even have a glass eagle ornament. One day I'll get there.

"He is wise who watches"

Love the print Dave.

A war room thread would be nice to see. At the moment where I paint I call the Man Pit. Soon (by the end of summer!) the whole room will be set up as the Battlefield/War Room/Command Center....

I have 2 WWI prints on the wall with other ACW and Napoleonics. Where is the proper thread for photos?
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-06-2018 at 05:01.

Nice find, Dave.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Perhaps starting a thread under the Officers' Mess would be the place, Peter? I'm sure pictures would run the whole spectrum, from spartan/utilitarian 'focus on the game'-type shots to those with more 'decorated' natures. I would love to see what everyone uses for their gaming space - dining room tables to special outbuildings like Dave hopes to eventually have. I am always after new ideas and love to see what others have as decortion and art. My Man Cave is a section of basement with a ping-pong table as the gaming table/spread-out work space. Posting pics might be the impetus I need to get it organized and up to SWMBO speed...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Perhaps starting a thread under the Officers' Mess would be the place, Peter? I'm sure pictures would run the whole spectrum, from spartan/utilitarian 'focus on the game'-type shots to those with more 'decorated' natures. I would love to see what everyone uses for their gaming space - dining room tables to special outbuildings like Dave hopes to eventually have. I am always after new ideas and love to see what others have as decortion and art. My Man Cave is a section of basement with a ping-pong table as the gaming table/spread-out work space. Posting pics might be the impetus I need to get it organized and up to SWMBO speed...

All the best,
    Matt
    I agree. Seeing what everyone else does would be good for stea....borrowing ideas. War Room wall decorations, gaming table, painting area, display...all would be nice to see.
    Right now I use a pool table. I have to make a cover for it so I can have more table surface. As it is it holds 3 ARES mats but not the nice vista-print mats I have had made.
    Seeing Dave's print...I need something like this too!

It would be fun to show the conversion of my space from crafting to board games to WGS flying. I would also like to see other efforts to create Wings of Glory play areas in tight or multiuse spaces. Start the thread and many will post!

I saw this picture hanging in my Doc's surgery last time I visited - a nice surprise so I had to share it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Docs Mustang.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	243476

It would be a nice addition to anyone's war room... Now I just have to figure out how to get it out without anyone noticing !

"He is wise who watches"

Try walking in in a white coat with a step ladder and a paint brush, pot of paint etc.
    Take it off the wall, and walk back out.
    Just saying!
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Try walking in in a white coat with a step ladder and a paint brush, pot of paint etc.
    Take it off the wall, and walk back out.
    Just saying!
    Sounds like you've been there, got the T shirt Just saying

Similar Missions

1. If you have a bit of room in your garage ...
    By Honza in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-15-2015, 18:42
  2. WGSF TB-6 Bomber! Make a LOT of room!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-27-2015, 02:48
  3. WGF Need to free up some room...
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-14-2015, 17:22
  4. Game Room
    By LGKR in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 15:38