Ares Games

Thread: WGS: Bomb removal for 109 and Hurricane

Default WGS: Bomb removal for 109 and Hurricane

Hello! Question-I've ordered a new Hurricane and 109 squadron pack, and wanted to know if anyone has tips for removing the bombs from the aircraft?

While they can be taken off with an x-acto knife, David, the bombs on the 109 and Hurricane can be removed easily by hand (unlike the fuel tanks on the Stuka--those require a hobby knife or razor saw).

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post
    While they can be taken off with an x-acto knife, David, the bombs on the 109 and Hurricane can be removed easily by hand (unlike the fuel tanks on the Stuka--those require a hobby knife or razor saw).
    You mean just snap them off? Is it a good or bad idea to apply any glue rebounder before doing so?

I used a fresh X-Acto knife, took them off nicely and left the surface flush.

It does require a bit of force, just be careful with the propeller blades on the Bf.109. I balanced mine on the spinner, nose down, and carefully cut the tank loose. The Hurricanes weren't too big of a deal and came off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbiter View Post
    You mean just snap them off? Is it a good or bad idea to apply any glue rebounder before doing so?
    The 109's bomb can be pulled off without too much effort, while the Hurricane's snap off, especially if yu can get the edge of your fingernail under them. I prefer removing underwing stores by hand where possible because applying force with a knife often puts propeller blades, tail wheels, fingertips, etc. at risk. I have taken off a Martlet's underwing tanks with a razor saw, since they, like the Stuka's were attached pretty solidly. That takes slow, steady effort and care. Whether you snap or cut underwing stores off, it doesn't always result in the surface being flush, which might entail light sanding with an emery board and perhaps a little touch up, although the imperfections are so small as to be almost unnoticeable.

Ok, thanks for the tips. I'm glad debonder isn't needed because I don't want to mess up the paint. I don't mind the bombs all that much, but I'm customizing some Nexus planes to go with them and thought it would be nice to keep them consistent.

I did a repaint of the WoW Russian Hurricane and just popped them off with no problem.

My planes arrived this weekend! Hurricane bombs popped off with just a bit of pressure, 109s was removed with model clippers, and I'm much happier.

Similar Missions

1. The Hurricane
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-20-2017, 11:44
  2. Netflix's removal of the X-files...
    By Dieter W. in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-01-2017, 18:19
  3. Aeres Decal removal / replacement?
    By Rebel in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-07-2016, 17:15
  4. AIR200 Hurricane I (Sea Hurricane in this case)
    By Blackronin in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 04:10
  5. Hurricane II
    By Dark Horse in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 19:15