Ares Games

Thread: Recommendations on which designer for...

Default Recommendations on which designer for...

Lots of different designers. Decapod, RAF, etc. Any favorites for...

Fokker E.III
    Airco DH.2
    Sopwith Pup
    Fokker D.II

Edit in: or just in general.
    Last edited by Dawn Patrol; 01-15-2018 at 15:58.

Had models from various manufacturers in the past Bruce, no particular preferences as I've found them all to be good. I based selection from the model images on S/ways, model availability, and price. I've not been disappointed.

"He is wise who watches"

Had real good luck with Reduced Aircraft factory but then he is also a active board member and has taken to using images of my painted stuff. Best suggestion is to get one of each and see what you like.

Thanks all, that was helpful!

Decapod, jbmacek, Colinwe (wow on S/ways ?), Kampflieger are also forum members though not necessarily so active these days. I have had good models from all of them.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Decapod, jbmacek, Colinwe (wow on S/ways ?), Kampflieger are also forum members though not necessarily so active these days. I have had good models from all of them.
    Yes I will second Flash's comment.

Beyond general modeling quality and detail, a few other decision-points are:
    • models with built-in crew vs. no crew
    • models with propellers you can mount in different positions vs. one-piece models
    • models with the WoG peg built-in vs. glue-on-your-own (or other-than-peg mount)
    • materials available
    • price

I can only echo others comments, though I do like RAF models for the different types and have a soft spot for .jb and Kampf as they brought out first two models I really was after, a MS BB and my all time favourate a Roland fighter

My recommendation is to click on the little circle 3D icon on the top right of the picture on the shapeways product page.

That lets you view a pretty good approximation of what's you'll receive - you can use the mouse to zoom in and move around the model.
    Changing the material (WSF or FUD) also alters the detail on the view.

Then it's just down to personal choice.

Hi Paul, your AFB-1's still get an outing on occasion & hopefully the birthday fairy will be ordering some FE2b's from you in the near future

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dave - The AFB1 was one of my first - Jan 2013 - 5 Years ago now!!!

It's been over a year since I did anything WW1 (Fokker E3) - all WW2 and ships recently

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    My recommendation is to click on the little circle 3D icon on the top right of the picture on the shapeways product page.

That lets you view a pretty good approximation of what's you'll receive - you can use the mouse to zoom in and move around the model.
    Changing the material (WSF or FUD) also alters the detail on the view.

Then it's just down to personal choice.
    Don’t see any “3D”button anywhere. iPad not friendly?

Read some of the threads on WSF vs FUD, and it seems most prefer the WSF as the more practical gaming solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Beyond general modeling quality and detail, a few other decision-points are:
    • models with built-in crew vs. no crew
    • models with propellers you can mount in different positions vs. one-piece models
    • models with the WoG peg built-in vs. glue-on-your-own (or other-than-peg mount)
    • materials available
    • price
    Alas, these aren’t all obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Cheers Dave - The AFB1 was one of my first - Jan 2013 - 5 Years ago now!!!

It's been over a year since I did anything WW1 (Fokker E3) - all WW2 and ships recently
    Blimey is it that long ago ! I have both versions & they get used for Zep hunting & other HD type missions they have also been used in 'prototype' games where the new type is on test & bumps into Jerry. As it's make believe I'm thinking of using them with a canon mounted (like the SPAD XII) should I get invited to play against the Martian invaders.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. National: Special greetings to the game designer
    By Marechallannes in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-17-2017, 05:39
  2. Ogre - Designer's Edition
    By jbmacek in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-08-2013, 17:38
  3. General Help the Noob choose the right designer's planes. Please?
    By Sanguinary Dan in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 08:20
  4. WSF New Designer - WWII 1/200 Experimentals
    By Zoe Brain in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 10:23
  5. Rare one by a famous WWI designer
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 17:20