Ares Games

Thread: Plane stands

Users Country Flag

Name
    Angus
    Sorties Flown

Default Plane stands

I was wondering how people built flight stands for their models that weren’t ‘official’ Wings of Glory models?

I can find third party bases, but these ship from the US which to the UK gets expensive.

Before I dust off the tools in the garage to build something I wondered what other people do to either make their own, or if you’re int the UK where do you buy them from?

Thanks in advance,
    Gus

I reckon that if I have something like 200 official models but I ever only play with handful of models on the table I can use some of the many official stands that are otherwise sitting idly by to mount my various Shapeways and Riviresco aircraft. plus i have a pile of Keith's Aerodrome stands in my boxes of Shapeways models to cover those times when I'm not taking official models to an event.

In my early days with WoG there were few Aircraft available so I printed my own paper ones from juniorgeneral.org and used some cut to size stands from old table place mats. I used the bamboo meat skewers for the peg and it worked until I started to get better models. It was cheap fun.

Try RedVectors on this forum. I am sure he will be able to help.

Wonder if you could get a sheet of like quarter inch thick Plastic clear sheeting. Just cut out proper sized bases and drill a hole for flight pegs. Draw or etch in MG arcs and you are ready to go.

literally years ago i posted thread "building Bomber Bases on a Budget" that utilized inexpensive folded acrylic photo stands, just a bit of easy cutting and a drill and you have them! I think it is still on the site, the photos may have been lost, I will look into it . . .

ah here it is . . .

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...t=bomber+bases

Users Country Flag

Name
    Angus
    Sorties Flown

3mm piece of perspex purchased for testing and now I'm looking for acrylic photo stands, they are a fantastic idea! Thanks everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by awallace View Post
    I was wondering how people built flight stands for their models that weren’t ‘official’ Wings of Glory models?

I can find third party bases, but these ship from the US which to the UK gets expensive.

Before I dust off the tools in the garage to build something I wondered what other people do to either make their own, or if you’re int the UK where do you buy them from?

Thanks in advance,
    Gus
    I don't log into the forum as I've cut back on playing Wings but the following site in the UK supplies bases that are the right size

http://www.figuresincomfort.co.uk/pr...with-pegs.html

The peg hole is too small for a standard peg.
    I glue a standard flight peg to the base.
    You might be able to drill the hole bigger so a standard peg fits.

The web site is not good and if you search the site you can find there are stands with different firing arcs.
    They also used to do altitude dials that fit the standard pegs.

I hope this helps.

Similar Missions

1. New Products: Decal sheets, ACE flight stands, and Custom Flight Stands
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-11-2018, 07:51
  2. Miniatures and stands
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 19:27
  3. the big stands down
    By Jago85 in forum Officer's Club