Ares Games

Thread: Where did the idea of FUD being fragile even come from?

Question Where did the idea of FUD being fragile even come from?

I just got a highly detailed FUD Felixstowe F.2a Early, and there is a wing droop issue, along with a minor printing issue. (The wing will flex upwards to about where it should be without braking, right out of the box without any hot water or such, and it's cold here, although it would be about at the limit of what I would consider viable. Anything such as hot water or the like I would imagine would bring it well within workable bounds.)

But my first inspection did leave me with one question - how did anybody ever get the idea the FUD is fragile in the first place? Despite its large size, it's clearly durable enough for anything I might ever do with it. It's even slightly flexible (although whether that's a result of it being new I have no idea.) I wouldn't at all consider it "fragile." The only conditions that I can think of where it would break I would expect anything to break. I also wouldn't describe it as "brittle" - it bends slightly before breaking, and frankly it's a lot less brittle than Ares models. My recommendation is you can afford FUD, (and can correct any issues with wing droop), always use it no matter what you are modeling. I just can't conceive how the "fragile" reputation came about.
    Last edited by BraselC5048; 01-10-2018 at 15:33.

Maybe it's better now than it used to be?

Smile

I have a FUD Sopwith Triplane & have never had any problems with it on the Gaming Table! It must be about 5 years old now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGF Sop Triplane in FUD 2.JPG  Views: 41  Size: 69.2 KB  ID: 239101" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

When I can access my computer I can post the sad photos I posted a few years ago. I dropped a Fokker DVII which literally shattered, I made it into mini comming apart in flight, made a cool model. I then had to make an intact copy, made for a fun game piece.

Then there was the tragic HP 0400 disaster, it got dropped and the top wing came off and all the struts broke. Spent a weekend rebuilding it with a brass wing spar to keep the wing from sagging. While painting it it once again fell to the floor, again breaking the lower wing off as well. The final fix was upper and lower wing spars of brass with all the wing struts made from aluminum strips.

The material was flexible to a point, but shattered under a shock. Here in AZ it was not from being too cold either. I am not a fan, prefer wsf after 6 years of Shapeways minis, over 200 so far, with a backlog of another 75. Pics to follow . . .

I had one scout that was dropped and shattered. Also observers are too brittle as they would break just cutting them off of the sprue. I won't buy FUD anymore.

It also depends partly on the design: while WSF specifies that wings must be 0.7mm thick, with FUD you can create wings 0.3mm thick. On one of my early 1:144 designs, I made the mistake of making the wings minimal thickness (0.3mm) -- and that print suffered terribly from wing-droop. When I simply had the WSF design printed in FUD material (0.7mm wings) for the same plane, the problem of wing-droop disappeared. So now I just share the same model for both materials.

That said, I still don't offer FUD as a material choice for things bigger than an average two-seater.

Humm, shatters on impact... Not something I would have expected. Anyway, the current one has a mid-sized print error besides wing droop, so I'll be able to do some drop-testing once it's replacement arrives.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-03-2016, 02:49
  2. Might be a ltte fragile for the next few weeks
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 20:42
  3. Tournament Idea - 2v2
    By Jythier in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 11:58
  4. Yet another Aero Idea!