Ares Games

Thread: Zepplein Staaken Wing Guns

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Default Zepplein Staaken Wing Guns

My Zeppelin Staaken R VI arrived last week. I was surprised by the two wing guns that are supposed to be manned by the mechanics. I cannot find any photos of Staakens with these wing guns, and it looks like it would be a hairy experience for a mechanic to get out of the nacelle and climb a ladder positioned right in front of the propeller to man a machine gun from what appears to be a tub placed in the wing. These guns with their near 180 arc make the Staaken nearly invincible to anything other than a swarm attack. Does anyone know if these guns are historically accurate?

Zoe posted some great pics years ago, yes they did man the guns and do maintenance on the engines in flight. She posted some scary pics! I'll look around . . .

There are also some great video on YouTube of the Staakens in flight and takeoff/landing - very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by shigleym View Post
    My Zeppelin Staaken R VI arrived last week. I was surprised by the two wing guns that are supposed to be manned by the mechanics. I cannot find any photos of Staakens with these wing guns, and it looks like it would be a hairy experience for a mechanic to get out of the nacelle and climb a ladder positioned right in front of the propeller to man a machine gun from what appears to be a tub placed in the wing. These guns with their near 180 arc make the Staaken nearly invincible to anything other than a swarm attack. Does anyone know if these guns are historically accurate?
    Images are hard to find but they are out there & you're not wrong it was a hairy thing to do !

You can just make out the platforms under the trailing edge in this image:

Shown as; Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI (Schul) 28/16. Fitted with upper wing gun position. Photo dated 18 May 1918.

Not all of them had these guns fitted as most images show but some did.

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

David and Dave: Thanks for the amazing photos. I honestly wouldn't have believed it without them! In our culture, it is hard to imagine that a modern weapons system would be developed that would require the operators to take such immense risks just to get into a firing position without even considering the damage the enemy could do. Of course, these were people who went up thousands of feet into the air in kites and fired machine guns at each other, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Happy New Year!

Exclamation

David and Dave: Thanks for the amazing photos. I honestly wouldn't have believed it without them! In our culture, it is hard to imagine that a modern weapons system would be developed that would require the operators to take such immense risks just to get into a firing position without even considering the damage the enemy could do. Of course, these were people who went up thousands of feet into the air in kites and fired machine guns at each other, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Happy New Year!
    If you think that is scary Mark you should see the pics of a FE 2b gunner standing up in the nacelle & fireing back over the top wing to the rear.
    Would post a pic but I am away & cannot access my photo albums.
    However a search on the Forum will bring some up!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    If you think that is scary Mark you should see the pics of a FE 2b gunner standing up in the nacelle & fireing back over the top wing to the rear.
    Would post a pic but I am away & cannot access my photo albums.
    However a search on the Forum will bring some up!
    Something like this...

Now imagine that the aircraft is in flight and the pilot is doing his utmost to avoid getting shot about!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

I wonder if there are any stats on how many aircrew fell out of their planes.

There was a strap worn that was bolted to the cockpit floor to stop this though undobtedly some were lost - there is a story of a gunner being hit and going over the side - the pilot climbed into the front and hauled him back in but he was already dead - the pilot then climbed back into his seat & flew back to base.

"He is wise who watches"

I wonder if there are any stats on how many aircrew fell out of their planes.
    No unfortunately not Mark.
    A lot of stats for this period were not recorded.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-09-2016, 14:29
  2. Spare wing top lewis guns?
    By Hedeby in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-09-2016, 12:05
  3. WSF The Last Staaken
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2016, 03:26
  4. Staaken AAR