Ares Games

Thread: Cold Wars 16-18 March 2018

Default Cold Wars 16-18 March 2018

Cold Wars will soon be upon us. Lots of great and varied gaming in Lancaster PA.

A quick look through the event listing, I think I am the only one running Wings of Glory games. I'm running 4, 2 each WWI and WW2, plus one Battlefront W2 15mm game.

Cold Wars web page 'HERE'.

Looks like event registration opens on January 8th.

My event listings are...

F: 297: 15 Clash at Bulson, May 1940 Friday, 3:00 PM, 4 hrs, Players: 4 GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: MA Period: World War II, Scale: 15mm, Rules: Battlefront WW2
    German armor had beaten the French to Bulson by minutes, it didn't mean they had the advantage. FCM 36s leading French infantry encountered Panzer IIs and IIIs and pushed them back. The Germans fed in more armor piecemeal to hold on. When armor and the GD infantry regiment arrived the Germans finally had enough force to attempt to retake the ridge. Will the Germans retake the ridge and protect the Sedan breakout southern flank or will the French roll into the bridgehead threatening the breakout?

F: 294: 20 The Skies Over Khalkhin Gol Friday, 8:00 PM, 3 hrs, Players: 14 GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: MA Period: World War II, Scale: 1/200, Rules: Wings of Glory WW2
    In June 1939 the Kwantung Army executed an air strike on a Soviet air base well behind the lines without permission from IJA headquarters in Tokyo.The Japanese gained a clear victory with this surprise attack. This strike during the buildup of forces on the Manchuria-Mongolia border set the stage for the battles known as Khalkhin Gol. Fly Ki-027 Nates, Ki-27 Sallys and Ki-30 Anns vs Soviet Polikarpov I-16s and I-153s in the sky over Khalkhin Gol.

S: 295: 11 Where's the front? Saturday, 11:00 AM, 3 hrs, Players: 14 GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144, Rules: Wings of Glory WWI
    Knowing the exact position of the front was a high priority for army HQ. With the poor communication systems available and almost non-existent doctrine to pass on this information, it fell to the Air Service to gain this information and get it to HQ. Fly with the 1st USAS Observation squadron looking for the furthest advance of the US Expeditionary Force's infantry or fly with the Deutsche Luftstreitkrafte doing their best to deny the Americans this critical information.

S: 296: 15 Operation Michael, March 1918 Saturday, 3:00 PM, 3 hrs, Players: 14 GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144, Rules: Wings of Glory WWI
    Spring 1918 saw the large German offensive to try to win the war before the full arrival of the American Army turned the tide. Operation Michael introduced new infiltration tactics to break the stalemate of the trenches. Newly designed armored aircraft supported the advancing infantry, strafing and bombing the enemy at low level. This mission will have Germans flying AEG JII, Albatros JI, Halberstadt and Hannover ground assault aircraft while the Entente fly the best they can put up to stop them

S: 298: 19 Midway, the USN attack on the Japanese carriers Saturday, 7:00 PM, 3 hrs, Players: 14 GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War II, Scale: 1/200, Rules: Wings of Glory WW2
    Admiral Spruance didn't wait to coordinate his attack force and sent it in as soon as forces got in the air. Maybe the uncoordinated attack ended up in the USN's favor as the Japanese CAP concentrated on the TBD Devastators carrying torpedoes. While the Japanese were busy down low the Dauntless' came in high from two different directions. Fly for the USN and turn the tide in the Pacific war or defend the Japanese Imperial Navy's strike force with the best veteran pilots in the Pacific sky.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-07-2018 at 09:15.

Hm, wonder if I can make this years Cold Wars. Would be a first for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Hm, wonder if I can make this years Cold Wars. Would be a first for me.
    Try Sam, do try.

Karl (Jager) and Bob (Bobp), our Aerodrome brothers will be there.

Talking with Bob, I am planning on starting a campaign, running a connecting scenario at each convention. The Khalkin Gol game will kick this off for Cold Wars.

I think I'm going as well. Not sure of the details... but I'll figure something out.

Registration is open as of the 8th. Link to convention web page above. Looking forward to this one. Bob and I will field some early planes from a battle in the Khalkin Gol campaign.

All registered in. Peter. Boy, there were a lot of events to choose from. I signed up for 3 of yours, and am looking a a few others. Do events tend to sell out?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I'd say 50% sell out but that doesn't mean you can't get in. I try my hardest to not turn someone away but I have had to at times. Wings is easy to add another player in but other games with 4-6 players can sell out and you can't get squeezed in. I have had lots of no-shows even though my event was sold out. Usually there are walk ups to fill in the gaps.

I should have told you that you don't have to sign up for any of my games as you are in if you want to play. Its not like Origins where GMs gather tickets and submit them. You can get tickets and its advised if you want in on someone else's game. Unlike Origins, playing games at Cold Wars, Historicon and Fall In, you don't pay per game entered. Entry fee to the show gets you into any game you want.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-24-2018 at 08:04.

Well, I signed up for yours because I want to play in them
    I have a good chunk of time left, though. Thought I'd see if they had a beginners Bolt Action game. I didn't see any skill/knowledge needed on the descriptions, though.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Just saw this and glad to see Karl will be there. Haven't seen him since Andy was at Origins. I know I can play since I have planes that we need to play. How many SB's do you need ? I have 3 painted for the Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Just saw this and glad to see Karl will be there. Haven't seen him since Andy was at Origins. I know I can play since I have planes that we need to play. How many SB's do you need ? I have 3 painted for the Russians.
    3 should be plenty as the Japanese are on the attack with Ki-21s. I'll have 3, how many do you have? Ki-30s too. I know you have some. I'm trying to have 3.

Hi Peter,
    Sorry i have been AWOL lately on this site -- but I returned from sabbatical to be inundated at work -- Cold Wars comes during my Spring break and I have plans to travel to see my kids so I probably won't be there, but I am definitely planning on being at Huzzah! and hope to see you there. Please stay in touch.
    Bill

Good to see you are back. I was wondering where you had disappeared to. I'm running 4 games at Huzzah, Saturday and Sunday, 3 WWI and 1 WW2.

FYI April 7th I'm running 3 Wings games at HAVOC in Schrewsbury MA. You can check it out 'HERE'.

Sorry you'll miss Cold Wars. I'm planning on going to Historicon this summer, so maybe another chance there.

Wow, Battle of Midway, another scenario with Japanese airplanes, and I see mention of Bolt Action. I wish I lived closer to your neck of the woods...

At the moment I am very heavy into the Pacific. I am slowly building towards Europe but the Pacific is my bread and butter. Khalkin Gol has gotten me into early war Japanese which will lead to China....it never ends.

Peter,
    I do have a good number of Japanese aircraft and a growing number of USN aircraft -- I'll put Havoc on the calendar and hope the fates cooperate for my attendance -- but I will definitely be at Huzzah! --looking forward to seeing you both then.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Peter,
    I do have a good number of Japanese aircraft and a growing number of USN aircraft -- I'll put Havoc on the calendar and hope the fates cooperate for my attendance -- but I will definitely be at Huzzah! --looking forward to seeing you both then.
    Bill
    Good to hear you'll make it to Huzzah.

We have to talk about running some games at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Good to hear you'll make it to Huzzah.

We have to talk about running some games at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome?
    Yes -- I'd love to do that -- I could do the leg work on that since I am so close. I've often thought about doing something in the main hangar museum in the morning and early afternoon before the 2PM airshow.
    B.

Next weekend at this time we'll be in the middle of the US attack at Midway! Can't wait.

Hoping the incoming storm doesn't cause you a bad drive, Peter. Or me
    Karl

The bad weather should be over on Tuesday so by Thursday's drive all should be fine.

I have learned never to use the W word. When I copied Morse Code we used WX to indicate that event. Looking forward to the games and seeing all of you again.

The W word, yeah, we've been getting our share of it lately with some more on Tuesday.

Such a strange winter, where we'll be sunny today, and my sister in NC gets 1-3" of snow
    Karl

Tuesday on the Cape we're supposed to get a foot of snow. I'll dig out late tomorrow and then when the roads are clear enough head up to my wife near Boston to dig her out, another foot. Thank goodness this isn't happening Thursday or Friday. I've been to Cold Wars through major snow storms before, don't want to have to deal with that any more.

I think it was 2 years ago that there was a bad storm. Drove up in 4X4 mode all the way on back roads. Took me 4 hours but got there. I have a number of friends coming down from Mass so looking forward to a good time.

Hoping Peter got dug out; I was thinking of taking the northern route (I-80) to save toll costs, but with the weather, I'll stick to the turnpike and pay the road tax.
    24 hours before takeoff for me
    Karl

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Have a great time, Karl - you deserve it, my friend! Don't spend all your money in one place...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Hoping Peter got dug out; I was thinking of taking the northern route (I-80) to save toll costs, but with the weather, I'll stick to the turnpike and pay the road tax.
    24 hours before takeoff for me
    Karl
    2+ hours with the shovel last night and another 1+ this morning. I'm officially dug out! Ready to go tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Have a great time, Karl - you deserve it, my friend! Don't spend all your money in one place...

All the best,
    Matt
    Of course not; there's at least 3 vendors in the hall , a couple of taverns , and of course the toll road
    Karl

Was good to see Karl at the convention. Had great games, as always, but had to leave the last one to meet up with some other friends, Sorry I missed the Midway game.

I'll try to get some photos up tonight if I can get everything for Havoc settled away.

Cold Wars was great; Peter ran some very good games, and I managed to get some quality game time in.
    Karl

1st game played was Khalkin Gol. I-16s and I=153s vs Ki-27 Natess protecting Ki-21 Sallys.

Japanese deep raid behind the lines to bomb a Russian airfield.
    Name:  DSC_0011.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  193.5 KB

Buddy, the Japanese top pilot.
    Name:  DSC_0012.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  171.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0013.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0015.JPG
Size:  152.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0016.JPG
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0017.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  138.9 KB

2nd game was an American infantry contact patrol. 2 seater's 1st pass would fire off a flare.(a flare gun marker placed on the hopefully friendly below) 2nd pass you would find out if the troops below were friendly, for or in hiding.

Americans flew N28s, SPAD XIIIs, DH4s and Salmson 2A2s. Germans counters with Fokker DVIIs, DR1s and SSW DIIIS.

Name:  IMG_2066.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  250.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2067.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  268.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2068.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  255.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2069.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  270.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2070.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  269.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2071.JPG
Size:  274.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2072.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  259.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2073.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  255.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2074.JPG
Size:  263.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2075.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  262.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2076.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  256.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2077.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  268.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2078.JPG
Size:  231.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2080.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  247.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2082.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  258.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2083.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  254.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2086.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  253.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2087.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  259.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2088.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  255.4 KB
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-08-2018 at 08:12.

3rd game was a German ground support in Operation Michael. Armored AEG JIIs, Hannover CLIIIs, Halbeerstadt CL IIs, grenade clusters and lots of scouts.

Name:  IMG_2089.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  269.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2090.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  279.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2091.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  255.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2092.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  272.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2093.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  231.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2094.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  256.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2095.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  254.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2096.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  256.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2097.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  272.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2098.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  252.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2099.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  231.5 KB

Final game was Midway. Devastators took it on the chin. One did hit a destroyer with a torpedo and Karl's fish came up short on the carrier.

Name:  IMG_2100.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  237.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2101.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  235.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2102.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  281.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2103.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  278.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2104.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  275.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2105.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  225.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2106.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  209.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2107.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  280.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2108.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  246.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2109.JPG
Size:  257.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2110.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  287.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2111.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  251.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2112.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  219.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2114.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  223.4 KB

Karl drops his egg on the Akagi soon followed up by Ken.
    Name:  IMG_2115.JPG
Size:  263.7 KB

Great looking action, Peter.

Sure wish I lived closer to you guys ...

P.S. I assume the non-dive bomber aircraft that are vertical are demised ?

Pete, you are correct. Any plane you see that is not a Dauntless in a nose down position is not having a good day. I didn't have time to caption each photo as I was packing up for Havoc. Getting on the road in a few minutes for my 2 hour drive and will be starting there at 9am. Havoc photos will post on Sunday.

Nice round of action: and the American infantry contact patrol looks majorly brutal for the defenders, there.

Peter,
    Great photos !! Sorry I had to miss it -- will you be running games down in Lancaster for Historicon ???
    Bill

Great photos Peter. And as always great games. Looking forward to Historicon.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Peter,
    Great photos !! Sorry I had to miss it -- will you be running games down in Lancaster for Historicon ???
    Bill
    The plan is to go to Historicon and run 4 Wings games. I have to submit soon. Anything you'd like to fly in particular?

I am also running 4 games in May at Huzzah.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Nice round of action: and the American infantry contact patrol looks majorly brutal for the defenders, there.
    Yes, in this one the Germans had the cards against them in the air. On the ground though one sector looked like the Germans were heading for Paris!

Looks fantastic Peter, well done fellah

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. National: Cold Wars 2017
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-27-2017, 18:40
  2. National: Cold Wars 2016
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2015, 04:36
  3. Cold Wars
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 15:02
  4. Anyone going to Cold Wars this weekend?
    By Carlos von C in forum US Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 19:18
  5. Cold Wars
    By BobP in forum US Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 09:19