Ares Games

Thread: Fairey Hamble Baby Armament?

Default Fairey Hamble Baby Armament?

Looking at the 11/16 version of the Unofficial Aircraft Stats, it shows the Fairey Hamble Baby using an A damage deck. That can't be right, can it? The only armament I've seen for this plane is a single gun (a Lewis, at that). So it looks like the listing should be corrected by changing the Damage Type to B, shouldn't it?

Probably a B. As you, I've only see one Lewis listed. Looking at the photos and drawings I can't see 2 guns.

I'd have thought the same and yet the Notes section has the comment "Some had B armament." ?
    I'm sure someone from the committee will comment in due course but as it could carry a couple of 65lb bombs a second gun could be carried in lieu of one of them. Maybe the loadout should be switched around to B gun with some had A ?

"He is wise who watches"

Digging about I found this image - rather than a synchro Lewis (bad idea) this one seems to have twin Lewis over the wing ..

This is probably an exception rather than the rule but I've also seen suggestions of one synchro, one overwing too though probably only had the one gun when bomb carrying as with other equipment on board (inc anchor) it was struggling !

"He is wise who watches"

Great find Dave. I'll probably go with one gun version when mine get to the sky. I imagine my wife will want the double for her Sopwith Baby Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Digging about I found this image - rather than a synchro Lewis (bad idea) this one seems to have twin Lewis over the wing...
    Peter's right... great photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I imagine my wife will want the double for her Sopwith Baby Dragon.
    Either that or a flamethrower.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Great find Dave. I'll probably go with one gun version when mine get to the sky. I imagine my wife will want the double for her Sopwith Baby Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Either that or a flamethrower.
    Why; it seems she scarcely needs it
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Digging about I found this image - rather than a synchro Lewis (bad idea) this one seems to have twin Lewis over the wing ..

This is probably an exception rather than the rule but I've also seen suggestions of one synchro, one overwing too though probably only had the one gun when bomb carrying as with other equipment on board (inc anchor) it was struggling !
    That is a Sopwith Baby Dave. This is a Hamble Baby

Note that it has one Lewis firing through the prop arc. However, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that someone stuck a couple of Lewis guns on a Hamble in the same way they did on that Sopwith. I do see that when I made my Shapeways Hamble up, I only gave it one gun B firing. A fire or B fire, you pays your money....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Steve with the discerning eye! Good catch. My Shapeways FH Baby has only 1 gun as far as I can tell.

Similar Missions

1. Fairey Battle
    By miscmini in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2017, 05:25
  2. WSF Fairey Barracudas!!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-13-2017, 16:19
  3. Fairey Battle and Russian SB2 Zvezda
    By Dowters in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 1