Ares Games

Thread: Deepcut 6x4 mats

Default Deepcut 6x4 mats

Anyone got one of these?

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product...l-battlefield/

I was wondering what they were like. They look a bit dull and faded on the website but they do seem to fit our game.

Front Line Games makes similar product and are local so I buy from them but there are two unique ones made by Deepcut that I have wanted and will likely purchase one in 2018.

This one I have seen in person and it looks great: Beach

The other one that looks great but I haven't seen in person: Aerial

I only use mousepad material mats for WoG because they provide the most gentle landing for inadvertently toppled aircraft.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Wow, guys - these are beautiful! A tad bit pricey, but that beach mat is really spectacular...I could see splurging on something like that

Thanks for sharing the site.

All the best,
    Matt

That aerial mat is pretty killer, too. Would serve as a great Battle of Britain mat.

Nice looking mats but pretty pricey for the mousepad version.
    (although they are almost twice the size of the Ares mats)

That would be ideal - well worth it for a one off purchase - at 6x4 it is actually two and a half times the size of the WoG mats so comparable price wise. If I wasn't so heavily invested in WoG mats already I'd get one.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Wow, guys - these are beautiful! A tad bit pricey, but that beach mat is really spectacular...I could see splurging on something like that

Thanks for sharing the site.

All the best,
    Matt
    It's pretty comparable to what Luis charged us for those mats we use: Cliffs of Dover, Wake Island etc.
    I'd be worried about shipping
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, Karl, I had thought about that, too...but you and the others are right about the cost vs. size aspect of things. Things to think upon They are very pretty...

All the best,
    Matt

Like this a lot. The Print-O-Map section, for mousepad game mats, also looks very tempting. Gives control to the purchaser of the image they want to upload. Not sure of the cost of that though. Think I might take this further. Thanks for sharing Gary.

PS UK Price for 1 6' x 4' Mousepad gamepad = 64.90 euros + 14.90 euros shipping = 79.80 euros. At current exchange rate, approximately Ł71.00. Given that they are quite a bit larger than two WoG mats, they seem to be a good buy, if the quality matches.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 01-02-2018 at 10:56.

That is a great looking mat. Here in the states CIGARBOX makes similar type mats. I have one of theirs, I won it in a raffle, and it is nice. I have an idea to use it in a wings game.

Thank you Bob, that is also nice. Shipping from a US location is going to be cheaper too! The great thing about cloth is it will not bulge on the edges if draped across the table sideways to create a 4x4 beachhead. Why would someone want that? To extend an additional 2' area on the green side for a larger jungle/coastal instalation area or perhaps extend the water for additional Naval action.

Scott that is a shot of that mat. If you go to their site you can see all the others they have.

http://www.cigarboxbattle.com/

Thanks Bob. Nice selection for many different uses. I see the Beachhead Progression offered as a 3 map set. I wish there was a large enough WGS playerbase in the area to justify purchasing a 12'x6' map set for huge air battles...

After thinking about it for 5 days I just ordered the cloth Aerial Battlefield one. If the wife doesn't break both arms when she finds out, I should be able to give an assessment when it gets here in a few weeks.

For those others thinking about it. The deciding factor for me was that if I bought just 1 WoG mat from Rival sky it would cost me $81.90 including postage so for $111.90 I get one 6 foot by 4 foot to cover the whole table.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    After thinking about it for 5 days I just ordered the cloth Aerial Battlefield one. If the wife doesn't break both arms when she finds out, I should be able to give an assessment when it gets here in a few weeks.

For those others thinking about it. The deciding factor for me was that if I bought just 1 WoG mat from Rival sky it would cost me $81.90 including postage so for $111.90 I get one 6 foot by 4 foot to cover the whole table.
    Very Logical Gary!
    Mr Spock would be proud of you.

After thinking about it for 5 days I just ordered the cloth Aerial Battlefield one.
    Cool. Pictures, please, once it arrives!

This one arrived today. 6' x 4' mousepad, I'm very pleased. I had asked them about doing a custom mat starting from their Aerial and sent a mock-up. In a few days this is what they came up with, perhaps to be called Over No Man's Land. I thought for the price it was pretty good value ($109 shipped, 85 euro + 15 euro shipping). Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200608_184350.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	288294

Name:	IMG_20200608_184215.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	288295

Name:	IMG_20200608_184034.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	288296

Name:	IMG_20200608_184020.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	288297

Name:	IMG_20200608_184003.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	288298

That looks like a cross over from their Verdun mat and the Fields and Clouds mat. Best of both worlds for you.

What a beautiful mat. One of the best I've seen.

That looks great!

And two of them might sit nicely together to form a 6' x 8' battle area........
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    That looks great!

A smarter person would have ordered two from the start.

But may have to do this hmm.

Thanks all!

That's a purty mat alright.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Great looking mat Chris. That will be a blast to play on.

I will bring a couple to Origins and you guys can leave the wreckage of lil malachi planes all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    I will bring a couple to Origins and you guys can leave the wreckage of lil malachi planes all over it.
    We'll do our best to please.

Great looking mat. I have not seen those before.

You look fantastic flying over those fluffy clouds Chris, and the way they cast shadows - perfect! Awkward question #28 - would you use the clouds to hide in?

It's more my style just be yelling at clouds.

Love the mat so much I went and bought one. Didn't go for the custom built, just the standard one with clouds.

The fields and clouds one was made for the Blood Red Skies game, I am not sure about the Verdun one. I have both in 6x4 cloth and they are great. They are great and well worth the money imho.

Crhis - that is one beautiful mat

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    That looks great!

I took purchasing advice from the master ordered a 2nd, they kindly waived the custom print fee and it's in the queue. I cut down some 5mm plywood, can turn the two 6 x 4 pieces 90 degrees on my table and should work great for heavy bombers to have room to play.

The fields and clouds one was made for the Blood Red Skies game, I am not sure about the Verdun one. I have both in 6x4 cloth and they are great. They are great and well worth the money imho.
    I searched their site for the Verdun one but haven't seen it. I'm sure it's nice though. The cloud effects are nicely done and what hooked me. I was going to try to replicate it on some WoG mats but don't think I could do a good job.

Tim was right, two are better than one The edges don't match up as well as WoG mats of course but I thought it would be pretty close and I'm happy with it. Lots of room to play

It's funny to me, but when taking pics my phone keeps prompting to do a panorama shot because it's fooled by the clouds and landscape lol.

To order, email Kostas, custom@deepcutstudio.com and ask for the Over No Man's Land mat. They have 2mm mousepad (pictured here) or cloth or vinyl.

Name:	IMG_20200615_181359.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	288805

Name:	IMG_20200615_181545.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	288806

Name:	IMG_20200615_181556.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	288807

Name:	IMG_20200615_181650.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	288808
    Last edited by malachi; 06-16-2020 at 04:07. Reason: Added order info

Apart from the fields and clouds mat in 6x4 cloth I bought this one that I call Verdun. I cannot see it on their website so wonder if it has been discontinued. It is a very depressing and devastated landscape that I would imagine reflects the terrible conditions there at the time.

Name:	20200616_125302.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	288820

Name:	20200616_125314.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	288821

The new ones that show a combination of clouds and fields also show a strip of this one across the middle. Less depressing altogether.

I have just got to have one of those, best I have ever seen

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Chris,

Email Kostas Brazauskas, custom@deepcutstudio.com and tell him you'd like an Over No Man's Land like they recently printed for Chris Weaver, 40213 USA. He can give you the PayPal info.

The have them in mousepad, cloth, and vinyl. Delivery was pretty speedy, both mine had a brief delay for customs clearance.

FYI I'm not affiliated with deepcutstudios or benefit from referrals, just wanted to share what I think is a cool product.

Enjoy

Gary,

That's very cool. I imagine they still have them but perhaps because these are custom prints they don't list them on the web site. I found they are pretty responsive in email if folks describe what they want they'll send a mock-up.

Yes Chris is right they probably still have that one or can print one for you. It was 54.90 Eur for my cloth one. Postage was high but it still worked out at a little bit less than 3 WoG mats.

Very nice thanks for the help

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Doh! I just realized (for the benefit of anyone ordering two in future) that one could request the image be flipped/reversed so the images would line up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Doh! I just realized (for the benefit of anyone ordering two in future) that one could request the image be flipped/reversed so the images would line up perfectly.
    Great idea, my young Padawan!

You'll be on the Jedi Council in no time!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. ZOE Mats
    By Baxter in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2016, 18:10
  2. Are the Mats OOP?
    By nheather in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 09:33
  3. First use of my new mats.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10