Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 126

Thread: 2018 January Bench of new beginnings!

  1. #1

    Default 2018 January Bench of new beginnings!

    Decisions Decisions!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180101_105444.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	238626

    Primed last week/year, now what colors?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180101_105450.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	238627

    Likely, likely

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180101_105438.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	238628

    Calling all elves! Does anyone know what the lower fuselage color is on the olive top, grey bottom P-51B's were?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1514829828133406728912.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	238629

  2. #2

    Default

    I have a number of planes painted. Just need to put the decals on hopefully this week. Also have another 10 planes coming from AIM this week so will be busy painting them.

  3. #3

    Default

    More of clearing out the old projects on my bench. Managed to get Tommy Blackburn's F4U upon its gear
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171231_130842.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	238630
    An old Revell 1/32 kit with a selection of resin upgrades.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post

    Calling all elves! Does anyone know what the lower fuselage color is on the olive top, grey bottom P-51B's were?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1514829828133406728912.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	238629
    I would say the same color as the bottom. Here's a Wings Pallet pic of your plane.
    Karl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	362nd FS, 357th FG, 8th AF, USAAF MAR-44.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	238633
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  5. #5

    Default

    Work continues in the office/workbench room. I can almost reach the workbench again, and then sorting all the gaming stuff.
    The end is in reach.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  6. #6

    Default

    Good to see you making progress in this direction, Karl! I look forward to what you begin churning out in 2018

    All the best,
    Matt

  7. #7

    Default

    Some 1/35 scale German soldiers I am working on to go with the armor I recently built:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180101_202642967.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	238670
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180101_202751449.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	238671

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I would say the same color as the bottom. Here's a Wings Pallet pic of your plane.
    Karl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	362nd FS, 357th FG, 8th AF, USAAF MAR-44.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	238633
    Thanks Karl, looking like silver then.

  9. #9

    Default

    Silver looks good David !

    "He is wise who watches"

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Thanks Karl, looking like silver then.
    It certainly could be; otherwise, did they use a grey underside paint before they went bare metal?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  11. #11

    Default

    Hopefully I will be able to get most of these done this month; Typhoons, Tempests, Airacobras, Mosquitos, Wildcats, Kingfishers, a Walrus and a Fortress I. Who am I kidding?

    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    It certainly could be; otherwise, did they use a grey underside paint before they went bare metal?
    Karl
    The renditions I've found suggest 'silver' ie unpainted - there aren't many.

    It seems the aircraft that were fully green had grey undersides but those that were partial colour had silver but that's only an observation.
    Last edited by flash; 01-02-2018 at 02:42.

    "He is wise who watches"

  13. #13

    Default

    That's is a board full of planes, Steve! Looking forward to seeing some of these finished - the Typhoons and Walrus, in particular! Good luck with your goal

    All the best,
    Matt

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    That's is a board full of planes, Steve! Looking forward to seeing some of these finished - the Typhoons and Walrus, in particular! Good luck with your goal

    All the best,
    Matt
    Thanks Matt. Iím prioritising by how long I have had these sitting around, so itís going to be Typhoons first, then Airacobras, then the Wildcats and Kingfishers. The Walrus is waaay down the list.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  15. #15

    Default

    Just did a major clean up/re-org of the painting desk area over new years weekend. Now I'm sure I won't find anything for a month! When things settle down it will be a much better layout for the long run. When I find them I have 4 more Oscars to decal and 4 more to finish up. 25th and 11th. Then on to Nates, Anns, Sallys, Ki-10, I-16s and I-153s! Luckily Cold Wars is a ways off.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-02-2018 at 06:15.

  16. #16

    Default

    Nice selection of planes Steve. Look forward to seeing them in flying colors.

  17. #17

    Default

    Where did you get the Walrus Steve?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Decisions Decisions!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180101_105444.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	238626

    Primed last week/year, now what colors?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180101_105450.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	238627

    Likely, likely

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180101_105438.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	238628

    Calling all elves! Does anyone know what the lower fuselage color is on the olive top, grey bottom P-51B's were?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1514829828133406728912.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	238629
    Depending on the color scheme you go for on the Dornier, it wouldn't be too hard to update this card: OldGuy59's SCW National Planes - Do.17 E

    OK. Not a Do.17 E. Perhaps something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGS-Ju88A4_1KG54Italy.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	238684

    I will need to update this, too, as I have done management cards for a few of the Ju.88 cards.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-02-2018 at 08:19.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I would say the same color as the bottom. Here's a Wings Pallet pic of your plane.
    Karl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	362nd FS, 357th FG, 8th AF, USAAF MAR-44.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	238633
    I'd say the bottom color could be Natural Metal Finish?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The renditions I've found suggest 'silver' ie unpainted - there aren't many.

    It seems the aircraft that were fully green had grey undersides but those that were partial colour had silver but that's only an observation.
    OK, with the top view, bare metal makes far more sense. (Of course, now I want to paint one too.

    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  21. #21

    Default

    My workbench is a bit cluttered with projects, including modifying my transparent Tripod stands to fit the preview models I received. I don't like the opaque ones on the prototypes.

    However, for those that have them, I am working on the plane and management cards for this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGS-Luft-Do17Z-KG76-PlaneCard.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	238696
    This is not complete, as I have to sort out the firing arcs, and the management card.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    My workbench is a bit cluttered with projects, including modifying my transparent Tripod stands to fit the preview models I received. I don't like the opaque ones on the prototypes.
    Mike, what are the dimensions for a tripod base? I have a set of 3 All Quiet On The Martian Front tripods I want to base up to be ready when the invasion starts.

    Also loving the Do17 card!

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Where did you get the Walrus Steve?
    Rob.
    Itís a Shed metal model. Their website is offline at the moment but if you want one contact Chris Sayer (Chris.sayer@dcemail.com). They are around £20 but will provide hours of mindless entertainment replacing struts to make them more robust, scratchbuilding u/c legs if you want the wheels in the flying position, finding 1/200 scale aircrew, and scrabbling around the floor trying to find minuscule dropped bits (although the last might just be me ).
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  24. #24

    Default

    Thanks Gunners.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Mike, what are the dimensions for a tripod base? I have a set of 3 All Quiet On The Martian Front tripods I want to base up to be ready when the invasion starts.

    Also loving the Do17 card!
    So, maybe there are two races of Martians trying to fight a civil war on our planet, winner keep all? Just wondering . . . could get really messy then .
    .
    . .

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Mike, what are the dimensions for a tripod base? I have a set of 3 All Quiet On The Martian Front tripods I want to base up to be ready when the invasion starts.

    Also loving the Do17 card!
    Peter,
    If you go to the Kickstarter, and download the Print 'n Play 'Tripod', you can print the second last page (without scaling) and that will give you a base, with all the right symbols:
    Kickstarter.com - Tripods & Triplanes
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-03-2018 at 08:37.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I have a set of 3 All Quiet On The Martian Front tripods I want to base up to be ready when the invasion starts.
    Just looked at these... very cool! What scale are they supposed to be?

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Peter,
    If you go to the Kickstarter, and download the Print 'n Play 'Tripod', you can print the second last page (without scaling) and that will give you a base, with all the right symbols:
    Kickstarter.com - Tripods & Triplanes
    Ah yes, I totally forgot about this. Thanks.

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So, maybe there are two races of Martians trying to fight a civil war on our planet, winner keep all? Just wondering . . . could get really messy then .
    .
    . .
    Since they are doing Tripod vs Tripod rules this sounds like an option. Martians fighting over possession of Earth! Hopefully we have enough fight in us (humans) to have something to say about it.

  30. #30

    Default

    Started work on a revell b-25j. I managed to pick up a Vallejo paint set for it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180103_181445132.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	238814

  31. #31

    Default

    These 4 Merit F4F's will be transformed into 2 pair of VF-3 F4F-3's off the Lexington on the eve of Coral Sea.....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4F_1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	238815

  32. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    These 4 Merit F4F's will be transformed into 2 pair of VF-3 F4F-3's off the Lexington on the eve of Coral Sea.....
    Hmm... nice. Might we have a Lt. Edward Henry “Butch” O’Hare sighting in our future?

    [Edit]Of course... O'Hare's F4F should have been one of the original Ares releases...[/Edit]
    Last edited by fast.git; 01-03-2018 at 20:08.

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Hmm... nice. Might we have a Lt. Edward Henry “Butch” O’Hare sighting in our future?

    [Edit]Of course... O'Hare's F4F should have been one of the original Ares releases...[/Edit]
    .......and Jimmy Thach!

    Now i need some Zeroes so i can try a Thach Weave.....

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    .......and Jimmy Thach!
    Absolutely.

    [Edit]Btw... thank you for spelling his name correctly![/Edit]

  35. #35

    Default

    Latest version of the Do.17Z, with input from Karl [Jager]:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGS-Luft-Do17Z-KG76-PlaneCard.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	238846

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGS-Luft-Do17Z-KG76-MgmtCard.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	238849
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-04-2018 at 01:19.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  36. #36

    Miscellaneous Miniatures
    1st Lieutenant

    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Kevin
    Location
    VA
    Sorties Flown
    456
    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Finished in '18 but not started in '18

    1/200 AIM airplanes...customer provided gears and prop blades. Customer also provided decals for the CT-133 and for the vertical stabilizer on the CF-100. I made the rest of the decals for the CF-100 and the prop jobs. The CF-100, CT-133, Harvards, P-40s, and P-36s are models from Armaments in Miniature.

    Games Workshop Elf and Griffon - needed a break from the above. Kevin

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171226_183315.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	238978
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171226_183425.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	238977
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171226_183451.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	238976
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171226_183515.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	238975
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171229_152211.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	238974
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171229_152422.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	238973
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171229_152449.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	238972

  37. #37

    Default

    Lovely work here, Kevin - those little AIM models are very nicely detailed! It reminds me that I need to place an order for some WW2 planes

    And your High Elf Griffon Rider is gorgeous - I love the 'leoparding' on the griffon...

    All the best,
    Matt

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    ...And your High Elf Griffon Rider is gorgeous - I love the 'leoparding' on the griffon...
    Agreed. Ridiculous.

  39. #39

    Default

    I wish the decals I get from you looked as good on my models. Which reminds me I have two sets to order.

  40. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    .......and Jimmy Thach!

    Now i need some Zeroes so i can try a Thach Weave.....
    And the first conversion nears completion.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180107_171405.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	239047

  41. #41

    Default

    Looking very smart Bob.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  42. #42

    Default

    Just finished the last of these up last night. These four Capronis represent the 1st Bombardment Squadron, of which Taramelli's Caproni is the official WoG version (top plane in the first pic). I managed to acquire a die-cast version with the dappled top wing after I bought my first Taramelli (left plane in the middle row), and then I needed two more to complete the unit. The other two are the Ares plane with a bit of repainting - I wanted each one to be a bit distinctive without going overboard, so I repainted the upper surfaces of one of them to sort of match the dappling on the die-cast version (right plane in the middle row), and on the last Ares plane, I 'repeated' the green camo from the top wing on the bottom wing (bottom plane). This way, they should be easy to differentiate on the game table when they go after the Austro-Hungarian fleet anchored in Pola Harbor (my dream scenario for these beasties - I hope to run it at Origins, eventually...)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	239079

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	239080

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1098.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	239081

    All the best,
    Matt

  43. #43

    Default

    Nicely done, eyecatching mediterranean bomber fleet, Matt.
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  44. #44

    Default

    Those bombers look nice!

  45. #45

    Default

    Very nicely done, Matt. To my eye, you achieved your goal... not only do they look nice, they look like elements of the same unit.
    Last edited by fast.git; 01-09-2018 at 07:46.

  46. #46

    Default

    Very nice, Matt. I'll enjoy shooting at them in June
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  47. #47

  48. #48

    Default

    Very nice Matt.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  49. #49

    Default

    Great looking birds Matt.
    Incidentally that Flight of yours equals all my total Capronis in the various colour schemes, and I thought I was over Capronied!

    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  50. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great looking birds Matt.
    Incidentally that Flight of yours equals all my total Capronis in the various colour schemes, and I thought I was over Capronied!

    Rob.
    No you are not, Rob. After last December sale on rebel.pl I am totally Capronized.
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Missions

  1. WMMS 2018 ..yes 2018 !!
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2018, 12:00
  2. Doncaster Meet - Sept 20 & 21 2014 - new beginnings
    By Deadly M in forum Doncaster 2014
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-12-2014, 13:13
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-12-2014, 13:13
  4. WSF January's work bench
    By johnbiggles in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 09:44
  5. What's on your bench?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 12:57

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •