Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTTBE Mission 18 - “A Champagne Breakfast” - 25th July 1918

Default OTTBE Mission 18 - “A Champagne Breakfast” - 25th July 1918

OTT BE Mission 18 - 25th July 1918
    “A Champagne Breakfast” or “What Goes Up, Must Come Down”

July 1918 was a period of transition. The German Spring Offensives were coming to an end and the French, with their American allies, were about to launch a counter offensive. This was to be the 2nd Battle of the Marne. A request was made, by the French, for RAF support, as a result of which a number of squadrons of IX Brigade moved from the British sector, back to the French front. On 14th July, through rain storms, nine of these flew south, from Flanders, to join the French in the Champagne district. The following happened a few days later.

Your mission
    Equipment: You will need -
    1 - Two mats.
    2 - Three cards with “red dot” centres, representing pontoon bridges.
    3 - Two AA Gun cards.
    4 - One balloon.
    5 - Three Entente scouts.
    6 - Three Central Powers scouts.
    7 - One “special” deck of 24 damage cards (see below) plus the usual accessories.

In the following photo diagrams, the attackers are the Entente and the defenders are the Central Powers. It may just as easily be the opposite way around if you prefer.

The Attacker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE18 Brief 1.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	238503Diagram 1 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE18 Brief 2.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	238504Diagram 2

The attack, which is an “In and Out” affair, is by three scouts. Each is armed with “1” bomb; “1” belt of incendiary machine gun ammunition, sufficient for “2” rounds of fire only; and enough rounds of normal ammunition for the mission to be completed.

The start position is as in Diagram 1, on one side of the river Marne. The flight leader is at the centre of his friendly map long edge, with wingmen either side at one “short range” measure taken from base edge to base edge (Diagram 2).

Objectives: You are attempting to prevent enemy troops from crossing the river Marne.
    1. Destroy the pontoon bridges over the river Marne, by bombing them from an altitude of two pegs. Only bomb cards covering the “red dot” on the bridge will be effective. All else fails. If under fire at the time of bomb release, make a D6 die roll. 1, 2, 3, 4 – the bomb deviates by one whole card left, right, forwards or backwards respectively (left or right the distance is the width of the card. Forwards or backwards, the distance is the length of the card). 5, 6 – no deviation from original trajectory.
    2. Destroy the enemy balloon.
    3. Return to base after incendiaries have been depleted.

The River
    Two mats are used, separated, throughout their entire length, by the long edge distance of one playing card. This represents the river Marne (Diagram 3)

Name:	BE18 Brief 3.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	238505
    Diagram 3

In between are three “pontoon bridges”, placed as follows. One at the centre and one either side of this, at a “long range” distance, measured “red dot” to “red dot” on the cards. The bridges are undefended and simply there to facilitate the river crossing by infantry in single file (either advancing or retreating – your choice for the story line). This spacing should result in a measure of one and a half range sticks from the edge of the mat to the “red dot” of the bridge at either side.

The Defender
    On the other side of the river is a balloon, placed by the defenders to give advance warning of activity around pontoon bridges that have been constructed across the river Marne to allow friendly troops to cross. It is placed central to the defender’s map and one “long range” measure from the long edge of their map to the base of the balloon. (Diagram 4).

Name:	BE18 Brief 4.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	238506Diagram 4 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE18 Brief 5.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	238507Diagram 5

Also, at one “long range” measure, taken from the centre of the balloon's peg column to the “red dot” on their cards, are two AA guns, one either side of the balloon.
    The balloon. is also defended by three scouts (Diagram 5). These are placed, each according to their own random die throw – 1,2 centre of one side of the map; 3,4 centre of the opposite side; 5,6 centre of the long edge of their map. Diagram 5 shows the possible outcome if all three die throws
    are different. Equally, they might all start from the same position, in which event, separate them in the same way as you did the attackers.
    Objectives: Protect the pontoon bridges and the balloon. Destroy enemy aircraft.

Altitude
    Playing the altitude rules is essential to this mission. The attackers will commence at an altitude of 2 pegs. The defending scouts will be at an altitude of 10 pegs (Diagram 6). The balloon. is at an altitude of 8 pegs.
    You should use the OTT house rules for altitude, which I am certain you are now familiar with. But a brief reminder may help :-
    1. A red climb card may be used as a substitute for any “straight” or “stall” manoeuvre card = 3 pegs up (one per turn).
    2. A red dive card may be used as a substitute for any “straight” manoeuvre card = 4 pegs down (one per turn).
    3. Any card, other than these, may be used to either gain or lose one peg, on any manoeuvre, except : No climb on a side-slip; no dive on a stall.
    4. Firing is at short or long range, measured from the top of the peg columns of both attacker and target. Firing downwards requires losing at least one peg of altitude; firing upwards requires gaining at least one peg of altitude (see rules for exceptions). If the difference is more than five pegs, a climb or dive card must be used.

Manoeuvres (using D6 or D8 charts)
    AI Attackers may consider their “nearest enemy” as either a pontoon bridge, or the balloon., or the nearest enemy aircraft – whichever seems most sensible, bearing in mind the objectives outlined above. Fly “straights” until within two “long range” measures of the first contact to be made.

AI Defenders may choose a “contact” heading and may fly straight until either, the enemy is contacted, or the first deviation is needed to ensure this happens. However, they do not have to and in the event they choose not to, will continue on AI selection of manoeuvres for the remainder of the mission.

Archie
    OTT house rules apply i.e. normal rules, but without the same altitude limitation on fire.

Attacking the balloon. (special rules)
    1. Each attacking scout may fire just two separate rounds of incendiary bullets at the balloon.
    2. The range, either short or long, makes no difference.
    3. The balloon. will draw two damage cards per round of incendiaries fired, taking them from a specially prepared deck consisting of the following cards only: 16 x “0” damage (to include 4 gun jam cards); 6 x Smoke “special damage” cards; 2 x Fire “special damage” cards.
    (If you are lucky enough to possess two or more “A” damage decks, this should pose no problems. If you only have the one “A” damage deck then be prepared to make up a deck from any other source, using your ingenuity (e.g. From a normal 52 card deck - Two aces - “fire”, six picture cards - “smoke” and any sixteen of numbers 2 to 10 - worth “0” with, for example, four “2”s being “jam” cards). The important thing to remember is that damage values will mean nothing in this context. It is only necessary to be able to distinguish between “0” (some with gun jam), smoke and fire).
    4. Results for firing with incendiary bullets are as follows:
    a) Any “0” may have hit the balloon. but does no visible / apparent damage.
    b) Any “smoke” is the signal for the ground crew of the balloon. to begin immediate winching down. This continues for 8 manoeuvres at one peg per manoeuvre, unless the balloon. is destroyed during the process. If all goes well for them, after 8 manoeuvres, the balloon. is grounded and safe.
    c) Any “fire” starts an uncontrollable raging inferno. The balloon. will burn for three manoeuvres, exploding on the third. Any aircraft within short range during the explosion will also be destroyed, giving two points to the enemy.
    d) Treat gun jams in the normal way.

Victory points

Bridges: Each one destroyed – 5 points to the attacker.
    Each one left intact – 5 points to the defender.

Balloon: Destroyed by fire – 10 points to the attacker.
    Hauled down due to smoke – 5 points to each side.
    Intact in original position – 10 points to the defender.

Aircraft: Each one downed – 2 points to the enemy.
    Each one forced to retire – 1 point to the enemy.

Name:	BE18 Brief 6.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	238508
    Diagram 6

That’s it folks – enjoy!

Happy New Year everyone
    Bonne année à tous!
    Frohes neues Jahr
    Bliain Nua Shona
    Felice anno nuovo
    Iedereen Gelukkig Nieuwjaar
    Mutlu Yillar
    С новым годом
    Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku
    Feliz año nuevo

Sorry if your language is not here but Happy New Year just the same.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 12-31-2017 at 13:30. Reason: Title adjust

Looks great Mike. Quite a bit going on to keep us busy!

Uh Oh - Here we go
    Look forward to having a crack at this - a couple of points though:

There are no OTT altitude house rules - everyone can use whatever alt rules they prefer in OTT - and scenarios should be written to be played without altitude, playing with being optional.
    Those rules posted in post #8 "Info Useful - Solo Players - For The Use Of !" of the rules sticky are my house rules for those that wanted to try them rather than specific OTT rules but all are welcome to give them a go if they wish.
    Note: In the house rules a peg is not a level of altitude !

Archie - it's best to use the Solitaire rules w/o the height restrictions but that maybe what you meant by 'normal rules'

Not sure why there are special rules for incendiaries when rules for such already exist ? Will give them a go but wondering why is all ?!
    Last edited by flash; 12-31-2017 at 03:21.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Great looking scenario, Mike! Looks like a blast to fly... I can hardly wait for the next campaign to begin. Maybe I can stick with that one...

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

This looks like it is going to be a busy scenario Mike.
    I'll have to see what happens

Looks like a real challenge for the attacker. Ignoring plane casualties it looks to me that to win they have to either (1) KO all 3 foot bridges, (2) KO 2-3 bridges and have the balloon winched down (3) KO 1+ bridge and burn the balloon.

I think my boys will have to do a bit of practice before being thrown into this one!

Regards

Edward

I assume the rules in the RAP for AA guns and balloons are being used?

Regards

Edward
    Last edited by Kustenjaeger; 12-30-2017 at 15:37. Reason: Original dual post

I am thinking of using 3 Camels for my Bulldogs against 3 D.Va.

Quote Originally Posted by Kustenjaeger View Post

Regards

Edward
    AA rules at the end of the rule book for solitaire play, thems the ones. Balloons as per scenario rules as Mike made them different. Scenario rules usually override the rule book.

Question

That does look like a challenge Peter!

Question for Peter & Uncle Dave: I have the original WoW mats with the River running accross them diagonally. Any objection to useing that with 3 suitable bridge cards?

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Preamble done.
    Pilots chosen for both sides.
    Planes chosen 1 SPAD XIII, 2 Sopwith Camels v. 3 Fokker DVII.
    Pilots for both sides have a total of 3 Kills per side.

Now to find time to fly the mission.

2018 HERE WE COME!!!!

Barry,
    I have the old WOW maps as well, I plan on reversing them so the rivers are on the outer edges with the gap down the middle to represent the Marne.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That does look like a challenge Peter!

Question for Peter & Uncle Dave: I have the original WoW mats with the River running accross them diagonally. Any objection to useing that with 3 suitable bridge cards?
    None from me !

Quote Originally Posted by Kustenjaeger View Post
    I assume the rules in the RAP for AA guns and balloons are being used?...
    As Peter says - Solitaire Rules are the ones to use - Mike specifies ignore the Altitude restrictions.
    A tough outing for your first mission Edward - I don't think there'll be much coming back - for any of us !!

...The balloon. will draw two damage cards per round of incendiaries fired, taking them from a specially prepared deck consisting of the following cards only: 16 x “0” damage (to include 4 gun jam cards); 6 x Smoke “special damage” cards; 2 x Fire “special damage” cards.
    Think I might go the playing card route for the special balloon damage deck, or use my B decks, as you need 6 x A decks to get 6 smoke damage cards but only 3 x B decks ! As we're not counting any other damage B decks will do the job.

Question: Do two smokes still make a fire ?

Good Morning all. As usual, as far as I'm concerned, any variation on a theme is acceptable, so long as Uncle is happy. Re "Altitude" - if anyone wishes to play the mission without altitude then I'd suggest keeping everything at altitude 8, but it will make the bombing of the pontoon bridges much more difficult. Any lower than that and the idea behind the dropping of the balloon following a "smoke" hit will not work so well.

There are no OTT altitude house rules - everyone can use whatever alt rules they prefer in OTT - and scenarios should be written to be played without altitude, playing with being optional.
    Those rules posted in post #8 "Info Useful - Solo Players - For The Use Of !" of the rules sticky are my house rules for those that wanted to try them rather than specific OTT rules but all are welcome to give them a go if they wish.
    Note: In the house rules a peg is not a level of altitude !
    OK noted

Re the use of incendiary bullets - that's just the way I felt like doing it

Answer, what Pete said
    AA rules at the end of the rule book for solitaire play, thems the ones. Balloons as per scenario rules as Mike made them different. Scenario rules usually override the rule book.
    Looks like a real challenge for the attacker.
    Yep

I know the question wasn't addressed to me Baz, but I see no reason why not. I shall be using my own 3D version as I have always done. The river is very wide as I am trying to represent the Marne. With your idea, the only problem I can forsee is the placement of the balloon in relation to a river that runs diagonally across the mat.

A tough outing for your first mission Edward - I don't think there'll be much coming back - for any of us !!
    Don't forget, you are not obliged to be the attacker. If you prefer to take on the role of defender, it should work just as well.

Hoping that none of this is contentious and that all queries have been addressed - Happy New Year!

Do two smokes still make a fire ?
    That was not my intention, so no.

Greetings

Frankly dear sir, it would feel terribly unsporting to fly as defenders (says the Colonel back at brigade HQ).

Regards

Edward

Great balloons to play with Thanks Mike

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    ...Hoping that none of this is contentious and that all queries have been addressed - Happy New Year!
    Alles klar ! Thanks Mike that helps a lot, I will use the starting heights as peg heights rather than alt levels - mostly because in my house rules a level of alt is six pegs so the difference between alt 2 & alt 8 is ... a lot of pegs... and six moves of climbing to get to the balloon which will be hard to do in the space we have between targets.

You're right Dave. I just realized the importance of your distinction twixt altitude and peg. The Balloon should start at 8 pegs; the attackers at 2 pegs; the defenders at 10 pegs. Unless you wish to play without altitude, then the suggestion is all at 8 pegs.

Hope that is clearer. Sorry for any confusion.

Aha ! ppy new year to you sah !

And a Happy New Year to all from me and my family. Incidentally, my sons have bought me a flight in a Tiger Moth for Xmas. Wooooooohooooooooo - I get to wear my flying helmet for real Sorry, this should have gone into the Officers Mess, but I thought the guys in this campaign should be the first to share news of my good fortune!!

Result !

great present Mike. Look forward to seeing some photos of the adventure.

It'll be a while 'cos I shall wait for better weather. Aiming for May. But it'll be a trial waiting that long

Happily a rainy day & I'm into it.. it could be going better... ....

(update) for both sides !
    Last edited by flash; 01-02-2018 at 08:12.

uh oh update

I haven't even managed to get my table back up yet Hopefully tomorrow

Does this work using the Rules & Accessories altitude rules?

Not sure Ken. Haven't tested it with those. My guess is that, providing you use aircraft with fast climb rates, there shouldn't be a problem. When I get a chance, hopefully next week, I'll give it a bash and post the outcome; perhaps with just one aircraft a side.

Not sure Ken. Haven't tested it with those. My guess is that, providing you use aircraft with fast climb rates, there shouldn't be a problem. When I get a chance, hopefully next week, I'll give it a bash and post the outcome; perhaps with just one aircraft a side.
    Thanks, I'm still not using house rules yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    It will work Ken but you would have to lessen the height differentials to make it playable.
    Climbing from level 2 (bombing) to level 8 (balloon), arguably level 7 if shooting from below, will take some time depending on the machine used - even a SE5a would take 12 game turns to get from 2 to 8 - similar would obviously apply to the defenders diving down from level 10 to meet the enemy.
    I'd suggest bomb at 2, Balloon at 4 max, defenders at 4 or 5. The Balloon can still take 8 turns to be wound in.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It will work Ken but you would have to lessen the height differentials to make it playable.
    Climbing from level 2 (bombing) to level 8 (balloon), arguably level 7 if shooting from below, will take some time depending on the machine used - even a SE5a would take 12 game turns to get from 2 to 8 - similar would obviously apply to the defenders diving down from level 10 to meet the enemy.
    I'd suggest bomb at 2, Balloon at 4 max, defenders at 4 or 5. The Balloon can still take 8 turns to be wound in.
    Great thanks.

And a Happy New Year to all from me and my family. Incidentally, my sons have bought me a flight in a Tiger Moth for Xmas. Wooooooohooooooooo - I get to wear my flying helmet for real Sorry, this should have gone into the Officers Mess, but I thought the guys in this campaign should be the first to share news of my good fortune!!
    Well that's a pressie and a half Mike. Want some good photos for the forum ...

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Question: Do two smokes still make a fire ?
    That was not my intention, so no.
    So what does smoke do when inflicted upon a balloon? I just got 2 smokes on 1 shot, normally that would be a fire but you said no so I'm curious if smoke has any effect.
    (mission on hold.....)

Ahhhh, ok. Just re-read the scenario rules, balloon is being winched down!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-10-2018 at 21:03.

There you go !

OK here we go.
    Tested today with 1 x SE5a v 1 x DVII (Just on climb and dive rates). With the SE5 starting at 2 pegs altitude, it took just two turns to reach the centre point. The DVII meanwhile, was able to perform two overdives, had it wanted to, which brought it down 4 pegs of altitude (assuming I have that correctly interpreted). So the starting points of Two pegs attacker and 6 pegs altitude defender would make better sense. From there on the SE5 would have two climbs at max speed, to reach the balloon, taking it to 3 pegs altitude (climb rate 2), so would need to be within short range to take a pop. Again that seems good to me as it leaves a few decisions to be made and may force pilots of both sides to hang around a while to achieve objectives.
    So answer - with normal rules the mission should be fought at Pegs 2 (attacker), 4 (balloon) and 6 (defender). As uncle suggests, the balloon can still take 8 manoeuvers to descend at 2 manoeuvers per peg.
    With the OTT house rules the mission works well (well it did for me and it seems it did for Uncle too) as it stands. It is quick and fairly easy (I hope), if unpredictable (I also hope)
    I'm writing up my AAR at present so hope you agree when you read it (which I hope you will ) Here's a pictorial taster:-

Name:	BE18 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	239104

Well that's a pressie and a half Mike. Want some good photos for the forum ...
    Just got me a headcam for the occassion. All I have to do now is work out how to use it

Incredible looking layout Mike!

I'll be writing my AAR up, posted by the weekend.

OK here we go. Tested today with 1 x SE5a v 1 x DVII (Just on climb and dive rates). With the SE5 starting at 2 pegs altitude, it took just two turns to reach the centre point. The DVII meanwhile, was able to perform two overdives, had it wanted to, which brought it down 4 pegs of altitude (assuming I have that correctly interpreted). So the starting points of Two pegs attacker and 6 pegs altitude defender would make better sense. From there on the SE5 would have two climbs at max speed, to reach the balloon, taking it to 3 pegs altitude (climb rate 2), so would need to be within short range to take a pop. Again that seems good to me as it leaves a few decisions to be made and may force pilots of both sides to hang around a while to achieve objectives.
    So answer - with normal rules the mission should be fought at Pegs 2 (attacker), 4 (balloon) and 6 (defender). As uncle suggests, the balloon can still take 8 manoeuvers to descend at 2 manoeuvers per peg.
    With the OTT house rules the mission works well (well it did for me and it seems it did for Uncle too) as it stands. It is quick and fairly easy (I hope), if unpredictable (I also hope)
    I'm writing up my AAR at present so hope you agree when you read it (which I hope you will ) Here's a pictorial taster:-

Name:	BE18 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	239104
    This is great to hear. I love your table by the way.

Thank you for the test and heights/pegs.

That setup is sick. Nicely done, and thanks for the altitude test.

Cheers Chris "Sick" huh I like to think that that means something somewhat different out your way, to its' meaning here

The AAR is only half complete and I have a few things on over the next few days, so here's another taster :-

Name:	BE18 9.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	239148

Cheers Chris "Sick" huh I like to think that that means something somewhat different out your way, to its' meaning here
    Ah... apologies. Sick is good. Sick is awe-inspiring. It might even be filthy. Sick is the first half of Sick Nasty. And, to be fair, I should have dropped a clear and unequivocal Sick Nasty.

For those playing the home version, Sick Nasty is not merely sick nor just nasty, it exceeds all expectations of magnificence and creates its own arena of wild. Sick Nasty is pure awesome in its truest form.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Ah... apologies. Sick is good. Sick is awe-inspiring. It might even be filthy. Sick is the first half of Sick Nasty. And, to be fair, I should have dropped a clear and unequivocal Sick Nasty.

For those playing the home version, Sick Nasty is not merely sick nor just nasty, it exceeds all expectations of magnificence and creates its own arena of wild. Sick Nasty is pure awesome in its truest form.
    Ahhh! The modern "Reverse Meaning" idiom is alive & well in the ole US of A!
    Sometimes us Old Folk do get confused.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Ahhh! The modern "Reverse Meaning" idiom is alive & well in the ole US of A!
    Sometimes us Old Folk do get confused.
    Believe me. As a secondary school teacher, I spend most of my day with young people... and I need a crib sheet just to keep track of it myself!

Playing this one tomorrow - my setup is sick compared to yours.
    (The other definition of sick)

I guess I really am getting old I did work it out for myself - just. But for me, it is a bit strange to speak English and not understand it properly

Anyway, thanks Chris

I guess I really am getting old I did work it out for myself - just. But for me, it is a bit strange to speak English and not understand it properly

Anyway, thanks Chris
    Ahh... understanding. You mistook my speak for English!

... it is a bit strange to speak English and not understand it properly...
    Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    ... You mistook my speak for English!...
    Beat me to it Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. AAR AAR Mission 5 Kanakamf 25th July
    By tikkifriend in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 11:53
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 01:24
  3. BRF The Final Months - Mission 10: The Breakthrough! 25th August 1918
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 12:13
  4. AAR Mission 10: BreakthroughBreakthrough - 25th August 1918 - by Nightbomber
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 07:38
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 16:58