Ares Games

Thread: Comox Campaign 2018

Default Comox Campaign 2018

Well, it had to happen. I mean, I've been working at building a local playing group for five years.

Thursday, 28 December 2017, I sat down with two other players and test drove some new campaign rules. This was to be either the start of a new campaign, or a trial run. The core rules come from an undisclosed source, with some additions from other WoG rules and some other Campaigns on this site.

For the campaign, we decided to start with available models, and that let us start with some dogfighting in December of 1915. Using Fokker E.IIIs and Moraine-Saulnier N Types, we played three linked scenarios, using experienced and rookie pilots.

Scenes from the carnage provided by Shane [SkyGuy001], cause a certain Dopey Lizard forgot his phone and camera.

Using 15 December as the start date, we drew a Time Card that stated +2 Days, Change Initiative. So, Shane (flying for the RFC) passed the Initiative Token to me (flying for the Luftstreitkraft). I drew the first scenario as a Dogfight. We used two planes each, with a single ace and a rookie as pilots. My ace had Strong Constitution (drawn at random), and Shane picked Bullet Checker.

A Central Power rookie gets an RFC experienced pilot in his sights (Planes were not repainted, we just used available models):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	536188909.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	238475
    Note: the Bullet Checker skill isn't much use in this situation.
    The end of this scenario was Shane's Ace's plane being shot down but landing in his own trenches, and his rookie retreating from the play area. The Destiny Card for Shane's Ace gave the "Landing" result, and the option of landing within one ruler's distance from the point of elimination allowed Shane to just reach his trench line. No injury, so the Ace was able to fly immediately, if the next scenario ended up being the same day.

Central Power win, no deaths. A Win Token to the Luftsteitkraft.

The Time Card for the next scenario was the Same Day, Superior Initiative, so I kept the Initiative token, and drew the next scenario. This was a Trench Straff, and because we were now joined by Nikolas, we used all rookies.

This image was the lead rookie plane being shot up by infantry trench fire, and Shane's rookie. This plane received two pilot wounds and a fire special damage, so no matter what the Destiny card could say, the rules are the pilot is dead on both counts.

Name:	536195445.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	238476

The RFC prevail, as both my planes went down in this scenario. My second pilot was wounded in the crash, and received a wound, that would take 11 Days to recover. Getting shot-at from planes and the ground was too much for these light planes. This scenario might need the Altitude rules to enable a win for the attacker. The Initiative token went to the RFC.

Last scenario for the day, and the RFC drew the Scenario card, and it was Same Day, Change Initiative. So, I got to draw the Scenario card again!. It was another Dogfight, and away we went. I couldn't use my previous rookie, so I needed to take a new rookie with my previous experienced pilot. Nikolas was blown out of the sky by the first exchange of fire, and his Destiny card revealed: Crash Land - Crew Eliminated. His pilot was out of the campaign. My rookie lost his rookie status with this. We may need to adjust the rules for this, as it currently doesn't specify if it happens right away, or for the next mission. The current wording seems to suggest it is immediate.

This image is my now-experienced pilot smoking up Shane's plane (next phase after the shot):

Name:	536198322.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	238477
    The end of this game was Shane's plane burning up and crashing, and my Ace's plane burning and blowing up. I retreated my ex-rookie plane out of the play area with lots of damage. Both pilots on the burning planes were dead.

The end result of the first day of the campaign was that we needed more pilots and more planes. I had one ex-rookie pilot and one wounded rookie. Shane lost a few planes and an Ace, Nikolas lost a pilot, and I lost three pilots and three planes.

Nasty campaign if this keeps up. The message to me would be, 'Don't get attached to your pilots.'

We'll see what happens over the next few months. The idea is that we progress by one quarter year each month, getting together as often as possible, with a minimum of once a month.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-30-2017 at 18:35.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Look like you have it going well. A good start anyway. Half my group moved to BC. 1 quarter to Ont. so we have really slowed down . Some new people I hope that will become regular

This campaign looks great Mike.
    Will look forward to future AARs. 😋

Campaigns are the way to go. Looking forward to more AARs. Hope to round up a few pilots late next year to start something like this.

Nice one Mike - I think your surmising of pilot survival is right on the money. If it wasn't skewed to survival in OTT we'd probably have fresh rosters every couple of games !

"He is wise who watches"

I am always struck by the relatively few Jasta pilot deaths. I assume part of this was that they usually had the advantage of fighting over their own territory and could easily break off - as opposed to British/French missions pushed into German territory.

Regards

Edward

This sounds great, Mike! I'm intrigued by the time cards, initiative, and mission selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Kustenjaeger View Post
    I am always struck by the relatively few Jasta pilot deaths. I assume part of this was that they usually had the advantage of fighting over their own territory and could easily break off - as opposed to British/French missions pushed into German territory.

Regards

Edward
    That is true, in part. It's also the dissimilar nature of their missions. The primary mission of the Jastas was to engage and shoot down hostile aircraft. Many of the Entente/Allied casualties are two-seater crews engaged in artillery observation, contact patrols, photo recon, etc. missions.

The aggressive operations of the RFC (for example) pushed their crews into the teeth of the German defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    This sounds great, Mike! I'm intrigued by the time cards, initiative, and mission selection.
    The current draft I am using includes three decks of campaign & scenario cards.

First is the Time deck, which can advance the calendar of the campaign for each game. Regardless of what is drawn, no more than three games can be played on a single calendar day. We just managed to draw cards that had us play three games in a row on the same day. Note that initiative may change, even on the same day.

The second deck is a Scenario deck. This provides quite a few options, and is twice the size of both the other decks. In the draft rules, are the scenario specific explanation and victory conditions, and a play area set-up (which can vary as well as the scenario). Options for number of planes (players) is included, to allow for drop-in participants. The idea of allowing flexible numbers of players per game might agitate some campaign players. However, I like the idea that we can play games at the FLGS, and people can join in on a casual basis. The campaign set-up using some NPC pilots in each squadron allows for this, as does the idea of having "supporting squadrons" join in for a game as an explanation for a randome player.

Lastly, there is a Destiny deck. It determines the results of explosions, running out of damage, leaving the play area, crashes, parachutes (that don't always work), etc... This deck is used for planes and pilots/crews, and provides something similar to the Critical Hits deck that can be found on the Forum. Currently, though, if your plane runs out of damage while on fire, or your pilot suffers two wounds, the crew doesn't survive. As happend in the games above, the Destiny cards didn't save some of our pilots, and in one instance resulted in a fatal crash landing.

Today's discussion about the above resulted in a concesus that the Boom Card will, henceforth, reduce a plane by half it's original damage, not instantly eliminate it. If the plane is already at or below half damage? Draw a Destiny card, and pray.

BTW: I looked up the definition of "destiny" in comparision to "fate", as I wasn't comfortable with the term. However, there is a distinct difference in each, and that difference was "destiny has an element of chance, and can change", where "fate is fixed". So, in this game, a pilot or plane might survive. It's fate is not inevitable.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Very cool. Thanks for the explanation. I look forward to heating about future installments!

This looks really interesting, Mike.
    I will be following your posts for sure.

Similar Missions

1. WMMS 2018 ..yes 2018 !!
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2018, 12:00
  2. SummerCon 2018 Richthofen Campaign
    By Marechallannes in forum Past Prague Summer Cons
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-02-2018, 02:26
  3. National: Nieuport 11's over Comox?
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 6