Ares Games

Thread: Tuesday night melee

Default Tuesday night melee

Me (Baxter) in the Pfalz D.III, Albatros DVa under WoG Solo control, N28's piloted by Geoff and Windy Jack.

The Pfalz collected 4 damage points at the start from Geoff due to poor manoevering choices. In the second mutual exchange of fire he was doomed, exploding in a fiery ball.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171219_194045[1].jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	238048

Now it is up to the AI plane and Von Data to carry the day. Von Data is hit.

Name:	20171219_194452[1].jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	238049

Finally Data gets to exchange some lead and both planes are hit. The N28 is jammed.

Name:	20171219_195002[1].jpg 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	238050

A collision occurs but no damage is caused.

Name:	20171219_195527[1].jpg 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	238051

The N28 out manoevers the Albatros yet again and a squirt of hot lead finds its mark.

Name:	20171219_200002[1].jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	238052

Another hit proves too much for Von Data and he is shot down to join his comrade.

Name:	20171219_200333[1].jpg 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	238053

A decisive victory for the Americans.

After that we played another game again using the idea of one player being AI and not human controlled. This time the AI and human combination triumphed over the others. Our conclusion was that where it is certainly possible to use the App as an opponent and it works fairly well there are certain things it cannot do:-

a. It does not allow for damage such as no left or right turns to be factored in.
    b. It does not do anything about jammed guns. (In that instance the jammed plane would not want to attack but to avoid action).
    c. AI obviously has no idea where the edge of the table or mat is.

The benefits of using AI as an opponent or wingman is that it operates independently of the other team members and is subject to no influence or control, and that it is quick and very easy to use. If I have missed anything out Windy Jack will expand the picture.

Nice little AAR, Gary.

I haven't used the app in a game yet, but did test it a year or so ago.
    I use Flash's D8 charts converted to Excel so it's similar.
    My Excel handles Engine Damage and Fire, but Rudder Damage I 'fudge' the result if an invalid turn is proposed.
    For Gun Jam and Edge of Table I simply input a direction away from the enemy or table edge.

Thanks for posting.

I haven't seen any AI that caters for your abc Gary - that's where you have to put the I in AI.

a. It does not allow for damage such as no left or right turns to be factored in.
    b. It does not do anything about jammed guns. (In that instance the jammed plane would not want to attack but to avoid action).
    c. AI obviously has no idea where the edge of the table or mat is.

Richards original rules on which the App is based didn't account for any special damage except the boom card so there is no reaction to anything like fire or rudder damage or jams but that is a pilot preference rather than a forced reaction - to try to do so would require several different charts & may be too complex even for an App when multiple damage received.
    I will usually replace the prohibited turn with a straight or the opposite turn if appropriate and that's what is best in the circumstances, same with the table edge - either select a direction away from it or change the appropriate card to keep them on the table.

Nice looking game by the way, once you settle on how to input the I in AI when these situations come up things will run a lot smoother, and watch out for the AI they can catch you out if you're not careful.
    Last edited by flash; 12-20-2017 at 04:50.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Baxter did say I might comment!
    In our second game the AI plane received engine damage early on. As the app doesn't cater for that I played one short in each turn whether the app indicated one or not. Usually it was the third manoeuvre, for no special reason.
    As you can see from the result of that game, it didn't hurt not following all of the app's manoeuvres.

I also forgot to say that Windy did most of the damage in the game. A true gimlet eyed ace he is too and utterly ruthless.

Smile

Nice to see your games chaps!
    You really should consider joining in the OTT solo campaigns lads!

As Dave said its just a matter of adding a bit of "I" to the chart moves when needed,
    A good example is if you are playing with altitude. Just substitute a dive or climb card for one of the 3 shown when it would be logical for a human player to do so.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nicely done Gentlemen. As the guys said before me, be the I in the AI when necessary to move along the game play.

Similar Missions

1. Night fighters, night bombers, a night cityscape mat?
    By Panzerfrank in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-12-2017, 13:07
  2. Looking for a duel Tuesday 28th June 1300 hours, Adelaide
    By Dog of War in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 04:20
  3. Tuesday night Recon Battles
    By Baxter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2016, 10:03
  4. Prague weather report Tuesday 26th April