Ares Games

Thread: Anybody playing with the 3&3 PnP?

Default Anybody playing with the 3&3 PnP?

Have any of the rest of you been experimenting with the Print-n-Play rules provided for 3&3 by Ares? This evening my husband and I played the "First Contact" scenario, and it was a lot of fun, and decently close -- we played a Sopwith Camel and a SPAD XIII against a Mk. I Tripod. By the end a heat ray made the Camel flare up like so much flash paper, but green ooze was dripping from the Tripod after the Martian got a close-range blast from the SPAD that barely clipped inside the shield walls.

FYI, you can download it at http://www.aresgames.eu/get/WW1TT-Tr...-EN-webhd1.pdf

How are the rest of you faring?

-- Eris

I haven't played the PnP version. Although, there was a surprise for me in the rules, compared to the play-test version. I understand that the rules are in flux with on-going play-testing, but the shield rule was an unexpected change.

My demo set and all the cards in the PnP set indicate that if an explosion is drawn by a shielded tripod, it only looses half it's energy. Depending on which version you read, it could be 'current' energy level or 'original' energy level. Certainly not all the original level of energy. I think they left out the word 'half' in the rule:

"> If the card is an explosion, the tripod must discard an amount of Energy equal to [half] its original Energy rating." [my edit]

The printed damage cards included support this.

BTW: In my games, the Martians are not very lucky. At BottosCon, the pilots hammered the unshielded sides of the tripods, pretty much focusing on one machine at a time, making it 6 vs 1. This, despite the odd pot-shot from the other two tripods on the table, ended up with a terrible mis-match. I needed to keep my tripods much closer together, and combine fire at single planes.

Black Smoke helps a lot, and makes rear attacks much chancier, but it wasn't used at BottosCon. The only novice pilots were the Martians. Oops!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I haven't played the PnP version. Although, there was a surprise for me in the rules, compared to the play-test version. I understand that the rules are in flux with on-going play-testing, but the shield rule was an unexpected change.

My demo set and all the cards in the PnP set indicate that if an explosion is drawn by a shielded tripod, it only looses half it's energy. Depending on which version you read, it could be 'current' energy level or 'original' energy level. Certainly not all the original level of energy. I think they left out the word 'half' in the rule:

"> If the card is an explosion, the tripod must discard an amount of Energy equal to [half] its original Energy rating." [my edit]

The printed damage cards included support this.

BTW: In my games, the Martians are not very lucky. At BottosCon, the pilots hammered the unshielded sides of the tripods, pretty much focusing on one machine at a time, making it 6 vs 1. This, despite the odd pot-shot from the other two tripods on the table, ended up with a terrible mis-match. I needed to keep my tripods much closer together, and combine fire at single planes.

Black Smoke helps a lot, and makes rear attacks much chancier, but it wasn't used at BottosCon. The only novice pilots were the Martians. Oops!
    We also play that an explosion versus shields takes away half the ORIGINAL amount of energy. It only seems to make sense.

And taking away the Martians' black smoke? How could you do such a thing? It's like cutting off a scorpion's stinger and expecting it to defend itself!

--Eris

Hi folks

I am trying oh so hard to resist this but golly it's getting harder by the minutes!!

Can you tell me what miniatures (if any) you have been using for the Martians?

I am looking forward to checking out the pre release models at CanCon in a few weeks. I am sure Zoe will have the rules worked out by then.

In waiting mode at the moment...most of my WoG group are pure historical so waiting until I have the real thing to spring on em.

I'm waiting... though I'm looking forward to seeing Peter's AQMF tripods. Might just spur me into action.

Hmm... wonder if we need a Tripod smiley?

Just looking at the AQMF tripods, these scout units come 3 for $30+ as kits, I wonder if the elves would do martians after the last ones . . . could hold us over till they start falling from the sky in August . . . timed just right for the Pleiades Shower . . . hmm

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/icg-mr005.html

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Just looking at the AQMF tripods, these scout units come 3 for $30+ as kits, I wonder if the elves would do martians after the last ones . . . could hold us over till they start falling from the sky in August . . . timed just right for the Pleiades Shower . . . hmm

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/icg-mr005.html
    Oh no Dave, why did you put a link to this page - my credit card has run under the bed in fright!!

Has anyone else noticed that, if you print out the download Demo set, the firing rulers are about 1mm shorter than in the RAP and the cards are all larger than normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that, if you print out the download Demo set, the firing rulers are about 1mm shorter than in the RAP and the cards are all larger than normal?
    Hmm, good to know. The ruler is, of course unneeded, but the cards are an issue. Guess I need to do a preprint to check and multiply.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have checked my copy, and there isn't a problem with it.

However, it also depends on a few things. What paper size was the file created to print on, and is yours the same. If you are printing in the UK, you are trying to print on A4, as opposed to 'Letter' size. They are different. Did you set your printer to 'Actual Size', or to fit media?

I measured the cards on screen, and if you cut and trim the cards to the tiny little 'trim marks', and not the full color print, they should measure 44x68mm. It seems to me that they provided the 'printer ready' file in the PDF, which means that there are 'bleeds' on the full colour prints (to allow for trimming down to final size). This prevents white edges when the printed media goes through a mechanical cutter that may be slightly mis-aligned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TnTPnPFokDr_1-1Crop.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	240101

I apologize in advance, if I'm telling you how to suck eggs. And on looking at the above graphic, the trim guides aren't aligned properly for the plane card. You might have to fudge that one a bit.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thank you for explaining that, Mike. I shall have to reprint my cards.

Similar Missions

1. Playing the WW1
    By LOOP in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 11:56
  2. What I do when not playing WoG!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 01:04
  3. New Playing Mat
    By von Fustercluck in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13