Ares Games

Thread: Snoopy vs the Red Baron: Christmas Special

Lightbulb Snoopy vs the Red Baron: Christmas Special

Here is an event I didn't get to run for everyone for the holidays:

Snoopy vs the Red Baron: Christmas Special

Mission: Early reports indicate that a flying sleigh pulled by eight reindeer have been spoted coming in out of the North. Despite the snow and cold we have become aware that Germans have scrambled the Red Baron and company to intercept Santa and ensure that he only delivers presents to German boys and girls. We absoutely cannot allow this. So we turn to you Snoopy, only you have the skills to tackle that menace and save Christmas for the boys and girls of France. Assemble your squadron and get up there or there will be nothing but coal come Christmas morning.

Sides: Entente single seat fighters plus Snoopy flying a camel. Central Powers plus the Red Baron flying a DR1. Santa*

Rules:

1. Santa uses the A deck to maneuver and has 6 health. At the begining of each turn each side rolls a 1D6. The team scoring the highest roll controls Santa for the turn. A side adds +1 for each extra plane it has closest to Santa (within 1 ruler minimum, i.e. if the Entente has 2 planes within 1 ruler of Santa and the CP has 1 plane, the Entente gets +1 to their dice roll).

2. Santa cannot be shot down, once his health has been eliminated he immediately switches control/sides

3. On a turn in which Santa switches sides, the controling side may free rotate Santa about his central point before deciding moves for Santa.

4. Santa does not deal damage when shooting, but instead may target an enemy plane in a 360 degree arc. This plane is automatically jammed. If Santa chooses this option he may not drop a present on a house.

5. Each side has 5 houses setup at least 1 ruler apart, the outer four like 4 corners of a circle with the 5th house in the middle, a minimum of 1 ruler from their deployment edge.

6. On a turn, Santa may 'drop a present' on a house by flying over it. Each house must have a present dropped before a new present may be dropped on a house. The side which gets the most presents delivered in the time span for the game wins the game.

7. Snoopy counts as an ace flying a camel. He has the Bullet Checker Ability which means he only jams on a red gun jam. He takes damage as normal but can only be 'shot down' by the Red Baron.

8. The Red Baron counts as an ace flying a DR1. He has the Evade special Ability which means when you draw damage cards once per game he can immediately ignore one of the drawn damage cards (i.e. if he draws 3 cards in a turn he may choose to ignore one and shuffle it back into the deck). He takes damage as normal but can only be 'shot down' by Snoopy.

9. It's Christmas Eve, a strange kind of magic is in the air. Pilots do not die when shot down. Instead they are removed from play and respawn on their board edge a minimum of 1.5 rulers away from an enemy plane. Pilots only 'die' if they fly a board edge (i.e. they cannot return to play with any ace abilities), but otherwise return in the same fashion. Players only accumulate kills according to the most kills in one life (i.e. a player dies 2 times, on lives 1 and 2 he only shoots down 1 plane each time, but on life 3 he scores 2 kills, he would only be awarded 2 kills).

10. It's cold and snowy out. Fire damage only lasts for one turn instead of 3.

Notes: We're currently in 1916, and the scenario had in mind only 1916 model planes (i.e. no Spad XIIIs, no SE5as, no DR1s save the RBs, etc, just Nieuports and Albs). This would help make it difficult to keep planes near Santa at all times. Also, for balance reasons I would bar the Snoopy and RB pilot from planning Santa's moves (unless you are 2 players).

Nice -- this might be fun. Have to bring it up to the boys this Sunday. Thanks!

I like it!! Great idea!! I'm going to have to give this a try over the holiday vacation.

Cute... I am really going to have to work on minis for both Santa and Snoopy...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Now this should be fun! Can't wait to start!

Cool

Cool, a mini that's a little out of the ordinary. I like it!!

Poot, I have to:
    1) clean my room
    2) wrap my mom's present
    3) make Christmas cards
    and now...
    4) make a miniature of a sleigh and Reindeer??
    This takes priority and now my list looks like this:
    1) make WoW santa's sleigh
    2) Clean room
    3) wrap mom's gift
    4) make christmas cards.
    Fun ALWAYS takes priority

So I got to run this after all in January, and it ran pretty well.

The Allies finished with 1 more present thant the CP at games end. They had downed 2 planes to the CP's one. Having Santa be faster than the other planes helped a lot, so I'm not sure the game would work right with faster planes. Overall everyone enjoyed themselves, and the winner of my Snoopy mini (wish I'd taken some photos of him before I gave him away) was very happy for the late Christmas present.

Similar Missions

1. Flame and Smoke special damage markers
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 01-30-2021, 22:42
  2. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-13-2020, 06:11
  3. Special Damage and crazy bad odds
    By Gord in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 14:24
  4. Snoopy Flying Ace - XBox Live Arcade