Ares Games

Thread: Metal Model Peg

Default Metal Model Peg

Last weekend I was at a game convention and was digging though a box of odds and ends one attendee had for sale. I spied what appeared to be a 1/144th scale Nieuport. I found it to be a Reviresco Nieuport 11 that was very well assembled, very nicely painted, and in great condition. I asked how much and was told two dollars. I jumped on it. My question to our metal modelers is what is the best way to attach a peg fashioned from a rod or tubing to the metal body so that I can use it on a stand? I'm not sure that the bond from gluing it flush to the body would hold up with the stress and I'm a bit hesitant to drill a hole in the model in which I could securely glue a peg.

Instead of drilling a hole as large as the peg, you couls drill a small pin-size hole into the miniature using a pin vise (hand drill), drill a similar hole into the peg, and pin them together with a bit of wire or paper clip.

If you use the Gimbal Mounts, you could glue the ring magnet to the bottom side of the mini and the bearing to one of your pegs.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

I drill a hole in the bottom of the model and superglue in a peg whittled from a bit of bamboo kebab skewer. Seriously. It takes minutes and the bamboo is strong but just squashy enough to grip the flight peg tightly.

If the model is light enough I can get away with my modified gimbal mounts, but most of the metal ones are too heavy. Have a look in my album and you'll see loads of examples.

Also, try a couple of rare earth magnets. Glue one flush under the wing and the other to the top of the peg.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

I have had a lot of luck with supergluing a small machine screw into a peg, pin drilling a hole under the A/C and simlply screwing it in.

This is very strong and can be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    I have had a lot of luck with supergluing a small machine screw into a peg, pin drilling a hole under the A/C and simlply screwing it in.

This is very strong and can be removed.
    Hmmmmmm I have a bunch of old tiny laptop screws that might work perfect for that... now I am glad I hung on to them!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Similar Missions

1. Zeppelin Model!!!
    By LazyEyedPsycho in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 09:32
  2. 1/144 model vs cards
    By Kwakelee in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 13:52
  3. Model kits
    By Coog in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68