Ares Games

Thread: Most funny/pathetic/embarrassing/stupid things that have happened?

Red face Most funny/pathetic/embarrassing/stupid things that have happened?

This is where you confess about all that funny things that have happened, pathetic performances, and boneheaded moves you or your gaming group have made. I'll start:
    Aircraft on the tail of a Caproni, taking fire in return - both caught fire in the same phase!
    I don't 'think' I've collided two planes I've been both controlling, and I'm pretty sure I've haven't flown a plane into the ground before. (Don't do an overdive at altitude 2!)
    Allied plane catches fire, does some squiggly moves before colliding with me and drawing a "boom."
    Player I play with, in a very early war game flying a Fokker E.IV, did a dive in the middle of a dogfight. Surprise! It takes a looong time to climb a level in an E.IV.
    I was overlapping, so the plane I was overlapping with had's its model replaced by it's card. Next plotting phase I forget this, and plot in order to engage the model where it had been set off a ways on that map!
    Kinda-sorta collided with a ballon I was defending.
    Going on a bombing mission with a pair of 0/400's, heavily missed both targets on the initial run in, to the point I didn't even drop the bombs.
    Another twin 0/400 mission, complete bookkeeping failure for the two bombers, getting damage for both bombers so mixed up between planes nobody was quite sure which card went to which bomber.
    Everybody's plotted a turn in the wrong direction at some point.

Moving someone elses plane by mistake is embarrassing. Done that once or twice.

Finding your right turn should have been a left turn when your aircraft is coming toward you.
    You know what you wanted to do but still get it wrong! NOT a unique happenstance!
    Really embarrassing when it takes you right into an enemy arc of fire.

Turning the wrong way when the plane is facing me, yup. Badly timed turn for a bomb run and miss completely so have to fly around and set up another run...shot down without dropping a bomb.

Best one for me was in a board game. A friend and I were playing two of the same game at the same time so we played each side. In one game, confusing the units, I attacked one of my own units!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Worst thing I did in my Wings life was to go over to a friend's house to play and take a case of planes with a boxed set in it, just to find the boxed set had no damage tokens in it.

During my Dungeon and Dragons days, I was playing a mid level magic user. We were going through a dungeon and turned a dark corner when we were told we hear many feet echoing down the hall coming toward us so we run back around a corner, I ready a fireball and as the feet get to the corner I let loose a 10d6 fireball. The centipede, with 20 dmg points took 50 points of dmg and the hallway collapsed around us.

One of my worst was forgetting my altitude, and divebombing into the ground. Oh, and I missed the target
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

at origins 2 years ago later on in the convention so i blame this on convention fatigue, yeah, totally, convention fatigue. anyway plotted a wrong turn and collided with my wingman, er wingwoman trench wench. we both drew boom cards and like that our mission was over.

last year at origins flying wgs im thinking im being all strategic and plot an immelman that leaves my with my tail facing the enemy at close range, DOHH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    at origins 2 years ago later on in the convention so i blame this on convention fatigue, yeah, totally, convention fatigue. anyway plotted a wrong turn and collided with my wingman, er wingwoman trench wench. we both drew boom cards and like that our mission was over.
    I think I remember that!

My worst is either forgetting to take into account that my plane was facing me, and plotting my next three cards so that I flew off the edge off the table, or losing track of steeps and plotting back-to-back across two turns... with the inevitable BOOM card ending my day.

Did that one twice in one afternoon...

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    And she was NOT happy with you, either
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post
    This is where you confess about all that funny things that have happened, pathetic performances, and boneheaded moves you or your gaming group have made. I'll start:
    I don't 'think' I've collided two planes I've been both controlling.
    I have! At the end of a successful mission my two planes were almost home when I planned moves that not only saw the planes collide, but also get enough damage to bring them both down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    And she was NOT happy with you, either
    Karl

i certainly cant blame her

Having 'Just' completed flight school
    on one of initial outings, encountered red baron...aka flying helmut...
    he didnt need to do anything...mistook up for down and oile drived into deck...

That why i am a para..only one direction froma plane...DOWN!

luckily had safe landing on all occassions, (dont tell the knees
    0.that)! ~ including the gaming environment

Up to now anyway!

Mav!

The funniest & most embarrassing thing I witnessed was during my first game at one of my local clubs many years ago.
    A couple of chaps, Alan & Eric, who attended the club at that time had got into the game. Alan was very keen and had bought all the models released (and still does), Eric was a willing wingman.
    Anyway, they set the game up and as luck would have it I ended up on the same side as these two fellas. We formed up on the starting edge in line abreast and on the first move both these chaps climbed, I went straight ahead as did another player.
    "You can tell who knows what they're doing because they've climbed straight away" chortled Eric with a smug grin...
    next move - much to us mere mortals delight - Eric, for no logical reason, turned left and promptly collided with Alan causing, we later found out, significant damage to both.
    The hilarity increased further in turn two when Eric again turned across his partners bow for no apparent reason and was taken out in the subsequent collision - As you can imagine the banter was of epic proportions at this stage and Alan was not best pleased.
    To cap it all off in the third turn Alan was shot down in the first pass by the enemy - he was then able to show us that most of the damage taken had arisen from the two collisions with Eric. Our side went on to gallantly lose that confrontation but great fun was had by all and Eric's non-sensical movement made it memorable.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Moved the wrong plane? Repeatedly in the same game? Check. Plotting the wrong plane (mixed them up and plotted based on where the other one was)? Done that.

Hansando

Last week, my opponent was setting up for a strafing run on a row of trenches. He had a plane coming in from each end....

Both collided with each other, and then the infantry in the trenches set both planes on fire. It was a very "Michael Bay" ending to a mission.

Similar Missions

1. Very Embarrassing Evening...
    By Пилот in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-29-2014, 13:55
  2. Very Embarrassing Evening...
    By Пилот in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-29-2014, 02:55
  3. Probably a stupid question but.....
    By Badin23 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 3