Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Pacific Theater of Operations WGS

Default Official Pacific Theater of Operations WGS

Hi Guys,

With the latest bomber release due out next year sometime and Ares confirming this will round off the BoB wave we can look ahead with some excitement towards to the PTO releases.

Series 7 seems to either be in limbo or cancelled altogether so they can follow a similar release structure to that of the BoB range. So I thought it would be constructive to talk about what we would like to see in the Starter set if it hasn't already been confirmed, squadron packs and bombers etc.

Not only minis but what Pilots and color schemes would you like to see?

All suggestions welcome as usual and hopefully this thread can even be a reference point for Ares themselves.
    Last edited by Canestri10; 12-06-2017 at 18:51.

Could be the Med packs?
    See you on the Dark Side......

From a starter set standpoint, similar in concept to BoB, where do you place it within the war in the Pacific? China/Southeast Asia pre-Pearl? The opening carrier war (Coral Sea, Midway)? Guadalcanal, or perhaps a general Solomons Campaign? Battle of Britain goes for a defining, recognizable campaign, with the balance of the war on a knife edge, and the planes still being able to be used for earlier battles (Norway, France). In the Pacific, I think Guadalcanal best fits that mold. It’s a defining campaign - perhaps not as defining to the national character that BoB was, but within the overall context of the war - you have iconic early war planes, you have a variety of missions that can flown, and the planes can be used either side of the actual period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    From a starter set standpoint, similar in concept to BoB, where do you place it within the war in the Pacific? China/Southeast Asia pre-Pearl? The opening carrier war (Coral Sea, Midway)? Guadalcanal, or perhaps a general Solomons Campaign? Battle of Britain goes for a defining, recognizable campaign, with the balance of the war on a knife edge, and the planes still being able to be used for earlier battles (Norway, France). In the Pacific, I think Guadalcanal best fits that mold. It’s a defining campaign - perhaps not as defining to the national character that BoB was, but within the overall context of the war - you have iconic early war planes, you have a variety of missions that can flown, and the planes can be used either side of the actual period.
    I think its more or less been confirmed as a Midway Starter set containing 2 Zeros and 2 Wildcats. Unless there's a sudden shift I wouldn't expect this to change.

As for the squadron packs, if they follow the BoB release we can expect both a Zero and Wildcat single pack with optional markings then in my modest guess I would say we would see an Avenger and a Kate in the the other 2 squadron packs to mirror those of the Hurricane and Stuka.

For the bomber release, again if we mirrored the BoB release we might see 4 bombers, possibly a Marauder, Betty, Nell and a Liberator???

I really hope we don't see any Devastators.
    Last edited by Canestri10; 12-07-2017 at 13:48.

Infact just going over what I said that wouldn't interfere at all with the release of Series 7 if it were to happen, would be great way to fill in many of of the PTO gaps while it's being released.

Apparently there were fifteen different types of aircraft involved in the Battle of Midway. Some of them were only used in small numbers in that battle. Here is a website giving the details.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/airc...y-aircraft.asp

I hope the Wildcats come with decals for the red and white tail stripes and red dots in the star used up to and during the Coral Sea period. Doing that would help combine the battles and cover a little greater time period, especially if Ares does go with Devastators at Midway. You could then run battles at Pearl Harbor, Tokyo (Doolittle), Coral Sea, and then Midway. Early Guadalcanal would blend right in with the Wildcats and Dauntless aircraft and then continue to grow from there. Here's wishing for P-400's Bettys and Liberators.

I hope they do a slightly different model than the war in Europe because many Japanese planes have been poor sellers. I think doing some theme combos would be a great idea. For example, an Operation Vengeance box with Betty+Zero and x2 P-38s (I have posted this elsewhere). Zeros will be the best Japanese sellers so offering them individually will be important, and with Wildcats is a great idea.

On the other hand, I think they could just release the Corsair as a totally random, out of nowhere, stand-alone airplane with enough stickers to create a squadron and it would outsell the entire upcoming BoB bomber set in the United States.

One problem I see is by the time Ares get to the Pacific the models currently available may no longer be around...

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    I think its more or less been confirmed as a Midway Starter set containing 2 Zeros and 2 Wildcats. Unless there's a sudden shift I wouldn't expect this to change.

As for the squadron packs, if they follow the BoB release we can expect both a Zero and Avenger single pack with optional markings then in my modest guess I would say we would see an Avenger and a Kate in the the other 2 squadron packs to mirror those of the Hurricane and Stuka.

For the bomber release, again if we mirrored the BoB release we might see 4 bombers, possibly a Marauder, Betty, Nell and a Liberator???

I really hope we don't see any Devastators.
    Midway is probably the most recognizable selling point they can use. Guadalcanal or Solomons could be any number of events, but Midway speaks specifically of planes. I’d still say that Guadalcanal makes for a better mix of campaign missions, but in the end, the planes would probably still be two Zeros and two Wildcats, and still be useful for both. Hey, I’ll be happy either way.

John Thach's VF-3 off the Yorktown for the Wildcats; he first used his 'Thach weave' during their attempt to defend Len Massey's Devastators in their attack on the Japanese carriers. As for the Zeroes, I'd like to see either Kaga or Soryu's A6Ms, as they were among the aircraft deployed in the strike on Midway Island--Nexus did an Akagi Zero, while Hiryu's aircraft get a lot of attention because she survived the first USN attack, although it was her Vals and (especially) her Kates that drew blood for the Japanese.
    Last edited by DarrylH; 12-08-2017 at 00:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    I hope they do a slightly different model than the war in Europe because many Japanese planes have been poor sellers. I think doing some theme combos would be a great idea. For example, an Operation Vengeance box with Betty+Zero and x2 P-38s (I have posted this elsewhere). Zeros will be the best Japanese sellers so offering them individually will be important, and with Wildcats is a great idea.

On the other hand, I think they could just release the Corsair as a totally random, out of nowhere, stand-alone airplane with enough stickers to create a squadron and it would outsell the entire upcoming BoB bomber set in the United States.

One problem I see is by the time Ares get to the Pacific the models currently available may no longer be around...
    The Vengeance box sounds like an awesome idea. Maybe even a dogfight box with an Oscar and a Corsair. Would be an excellent way to get the Jap planes to sell like crazy and "force" people into starting a bit of a Japanese collection. I use the word force in the nicest (evil marketing) way possible haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post
    John Thach's VF-3 off the Yorktown for the Wildcats; he first used his 'Thach weave' during their attempt to defend Len Massey's Devastators in their attack on the Japanese carriers. As for the Zeroes, I'd like to see either Kaga or Soryu's A6Ms, as they were among the aircraft deployed in the strike on Midway--Nexus did an Akagi Zero, while Hiryu's aircraft get a lot of attention because she survived the first USN attack, although it was her Vals and (especially) her Kates that drew blood for the Japanese.
    Getting Thach's plane would be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Could be the Med packs?
    Neil do you mean Mediterranean packs?

Yes I did, sorry for any confusion.

Neil do you mean Mediterranean packs?
    See you on the Dark Side......

I support having John Thach's Wildcat as one of the models.

I hope that the new Zero's will have corrected statistics and movement decks and, if the Midway packs are funded by a Kickstarter, perhaps an 'Add On' could be a pack of 'correction cards' for the Nexus Zero's.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

If we are getting a '41-'42 Pacific release, I'd love to see the Chinese/Burma theater developed as well. Carrier battles are great and all but at the time we are looking at basically two fighter designs and a whole bunch of Scout/Dive/Torpedo bomber designs. Mainland Asia could bring in the Ki-27, A5M, Ki-43, P-36, P-43, P-40, Buffalo, CW-21, I-16, and numerous Japanese and Allied medium bombers and attack aircraft to the table. Throw the Philippines (my wife would love that being part Filipino herself) into the mix and you can add the P-35 and P-26.

Now several of the aircraft I listed served in very limited capability which brings up another point that I think is touchy to many here in the group.

ARES NEEDS TO RELEASE CARD ONLY DECKS!!!!!!1!!!!

Ares is missing out on a great opportunity to make money between the model releases. Give us the cards so we can have new and exciting decks for planes that didn't serve in great enough numbers to really necessitate a mini sculpt and we will pay money for them. I would happily buy eight decks for the P-36 alone so I could field two flights, one French to fight Bf-109Es and one Chinese to fight any future Zeros. Those would easily tide me over while waiting for the more Iconic fighters to come out in Mini form!

Did I miss the memo? I do not remember Ares ever announcing a PTO release. Are we asking or just hopeful?

Only hints, not promises...

Would a 'Bombing of Japan' series be popular containing B-29 Superfortresses, P-51Mustangs and many different Japanese fighters?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Would a 'Bombing of Japan' series be popular containing B-29 Superfortresses, P-51Mustangs and many different Japanese fighters?
    Not that many Japanese fighters; but one could have a C6N with a "Schrage Musik" installation, as Japan built a few of those.

Many interesting thoughts. I have asked about decks for a long time. I have the BOOSTER PACKS that NEXUS did so have cards to use for the I-16 (AIM) that I have. Karl did an outstanding job of putting together a list of OFFICIAL and NON OFFICIAL planes. I keep that list close for the info on the Japanese/Italian and US aircraft I get to increase my forces.

Hellcats, Corsairs and Seafires could be used in a 'Stop the Kamikazes' scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Hellcats, Corsairs and Seafires could be used in a 'Stop the Kamikazes' scenario.
    I would LOVE to see some Hellcats. Infact I think I want them even more than Lightnings.

My top 5 PTO list is

1. Corsair
    2. Hellcat
    3. Lightning
    4. Avenger
    5. Kate

I would LOVE to see some Hellcats. Infact I think I want them even more than Lightnings.

My top 5 PTO list is

1. Corsair
    2. Hellcat
    3. Lightning
    4. Avenger
    5. Kate
    Pretty much the same for me, but move the torpedo bombers to the top.

Oh - and add a Betty.

My top 5 PTO list is

1. Corsair
    2. Hellcat
    3. Lightning
    4. Avenger
    5. Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Pretty much the same for me, but move the torpedo bombers to the top.

Oh - and add a Betty.
    I've given up waiting for what I really want and paint my own. I have some of all of the above. (Avengers almost finished) I know a lot of you don't paint but I think you should give it a try. Yes, the first few planes will be butt ugly but they do get better and better with each one. Soon you will be quite pleased and have the fleets you so dearly want.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 12-21-2017 at 07:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I know a lot of you don't paint but I think you should give it a try.
    Going to start with the BE.2Cs and FE.2Bs I bought for WGF - just took delivery of 3 the BE.2 along with some crews, including standing Lewis gunners for the FEs.
    If that works out I may start looking at AIM for some WGS.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Going to start with the BE.2Cs and FE.2Bs I bought for WGF - just took delivery of 3 the BE.2 along with some crews, including standing Lewis gunners for the FEs.
    If that works out I may start looking at AIM for some WGS.
    Go for it Pete! You dont need to be a De Vinci or Monet. Especially the real early WW1 aircraft .Clear doped linen for BE 2's Avros, Gunbus's etc.

Betty's & Lily's can be all over green & Dauntless & Avengers Light blue over grey.
    Some samples to show how simple they can be!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGF BE2c's 2.jpg  Views: 225  Size: 66.9 KB  ID: 237460" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Aviatik C.II 2.jpg  Views: 227  Size: 118.8 KB  ID: 237461" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Sopwith Strutter.jpg  Views: 232  Size: 349.8 KB  ID: 237462" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Morane L rigged.jpg  Views: 228  Size: 193.9 KB  ID: 237463" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	AIM Jap Lily's.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	237464

Name:	AIM Douglas Dauntlass 1.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	237465

Name:	AIM Grumman Avengers 1.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	237466

Sometimes even an "official" airplane needs some corrective paint when Ares does not produce the iconic version.

Name:	IMG_20161230_073807.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	237467

I know the Dauntless version and paint job may be slightly out of time but it was a therapeutic exercise.

Great painting, Barry and Scott!

I've given up waiting for what I really want and paint my own. I have some of all of the above. (Avengers almost finished) I know a lot of you don't paint but I think you should give it a try. Yes, the first few planes will be butt ugly but they do get better and better with each one. Soon you will be quite pleases and have the fleets you so dearly want.
    The bigger problem is the maneuver decks. While I think I've done an alright job with unofficial aircraft, I would really like the Master's opinion. There are just too many gaps in performance for some planes to fall through.
    Also, I feel I need to go back and look at them again, with wingloading, P/W and stall speeds.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Sometimes even an "official" airplane needs some corrective paint when Ares does not produce the iconic version.

Name:	IMG_20161230_073807.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	237467

I know the Dauntless version and paint job may be slightly out of time but it was a therapeutic exercise.
    Looks amazing! You have really just highlighted just how bad Ares' decisions can be. This version should have been a lock in for final production. The French one was a complete disaster.

I thinkt the path is clear.

Starter Set with 2 Wildcats and 2 Zeroes.

Additional 1 Val dive bomber, 1 SBD Dauntless, 1 Wildcat & 1 Zero squadron pack.

The Dauntless will be 100% a Midway coloured plane, because we do not get those with the other Dauntless bombers.

I don't think we'll see the Pacific stuff before 2019.

Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I accept your projected date and weep...

I definitely want to see Wildcats and Zeros back in print and a corrected Dauntless. The problem we run into with symmetrical Pacific releases is there are some airplanes that do not sell. Case in point: Clearance Val at Miniature Market. Despite my quest to acquire x2 of every Series 1 Pacific airplane as well as select Stukas from Series 2 and Warhawks from Series 3, I am not even tempted to add those to the x3 I own... actually I lied, I am, but the fact that they are still around says something. Not the same story as the Series 2 German version of the Stuka.

I really hope Ares thinks creatively and breaks convention a bit while keeping to the general format of the BoB releases. A wild option would be a Wildcat and 2 Vals packaged as a Pearl Harbor set with Wildcat and Zero squadron pack. The box would include ship and carrier templates/terrain with additional rules to support them as interactive elements. Additional squadron packs support the scenarios in historical sequence, including Midway, with Operation Vengeance as the culmination. It would be worth waiting for the P-38 if they did it this way. IMO, it is the best way to represent the history and make all models interesting.

Something I just thought of regarding a three flyer Wildcat-Val-Val box. There is precedent:

Name:	download.jpeg 
Views:	191 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	237565

Final thought: I am tempted to try to get a high quality 1/200 scale Corsair produced then Kickstarter it as a standalone item just to prove to Ares that they could bankroll other adventures in aircraft production from that one model with decal support. Not going to happen, but it is fun to dream...

I accept your projected date and weep...

I definitely want to see Wildcats and Zeros back in print and a corrected Dauntless. The problem we run into with symmetrical Pacific releases is there are some airplanes that do not sell. Case in point: Clearance Val at Miniature Market. Despite my quest to acquire x2 of every Series 1 Pacific airplane as well as select Stukas from Series 2 and Warhawks from Series 3, I am not even tempted to add those to the x3 I own... actually I lied, I am, but the fact that they are still around says something. Not the same story as the Series 2 German version of the Stuka.

I really hope Ares thinks creatively and breaks convention a bit while keeping to the general format of the BoB releases. A wild option would be a Wildcat and 2 Vals packaged as a Pearl Harbor set with Wildcat and Zero squadron pack. The box would include ship and carrier templates/terrain with additional rules to support them as interactive elements. Additional squadron packs support the scenarios in historical sequence, including Midway, with Operation Vengeance as the culmination. It would be worth waiting for the P-38 if they did it this way. IMO, it is the best way to represent the history and make all models interesting.

Something I just thought of regarding a three flyer Wildcat-Val-Val box. There is precedent:

Name:	download.jpeg 
Views:	191 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	237565

Final thought: I am tempted to try to get a high quality 1/200 scale Corsair produced then Kickstarter it as a standalone item just to prove to Ares that they could bankroll other adventures in aircraft production from that one model with decal support. Not going to happen, but it is fun to dream...
    I'm afraid the Wildcat vs Vals Pearl Harbor combo might be a little too wild an option for Midway, Scott, as the F4F was not a factor in that battle--the only USN aircraft involved in the air were SBDs flying into Pearl off the Enterprise, and they were mostly having to deal with friendly fire. A better set for Pearl Harbor would be a P-40C (in either Lt Welch or Taylor's markings) and two Vals, although more as a standalone set, since that combination in turn wouldn't be relevant for Midway--no P-40s took part in that battle.

Good point about the P-40s being better for Pearl. Funny, I did not consider the Warhawk since I just played this on Pearl Harbor Day 2017:

Name:	IMG_20171207_210203.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	237574

Forgetting about the better things in life like this is a symptom of working too much. Avoid it!

However, the picture above shows another possible three airplane combo!

There will be some planes left behind as you move along the timeline. As long as there are common threads it still works. The Zeros and Vals will be solid flyers for a variety of historical events after Pearl Harbor. It is all spitballing at this point...

WRM307

I am hoping ARES will release B-24s, P-38s, F4U Corsairs. I do not think ARES will release KI-43s as they would not be survivable. Hopefully, the aircraft will reflect the markings of units in the SWPA. A re-release of Beaufighters in RAAF 30 Squadron and P-40s in RNZAAF markings would be nice. I used KI-61s for IJA forces in a Battle of the Bismarck Sea scenario. Tho not historically available in March 1943, they worked. I currently have 6 KI-61s and 2 KI-84s. I and my wargame buddy ran the scenario above twice at MillenniumCon XX, 10-12 Nov 17, Round Rock, TX. I developed a procedure for mast height bombing for B-25s that also worked well in the scenario. For next year, I plan to modify the B-25Cs (I used 4 in the scenario) to the strafer (8 forward firing .50-cal machineguns).
    Has anyone else done something like this?
    Future scenarios I'd like to develop:
    Bombing up the Slot (13th AF).
    The Gun at Ponape Point (5th AF)

I've done two and plan on many more battles at Rabaul. I now have 12 Ki-43s and they are fun to fly. You just know you will get shot down and get a fresh new plane! Ran a game at Origins this year with skip bombing and para-frag B-25s with 8 forward 50s, fun stuff! At Fall In Ki-43 took down 3 B-24s, so not totally harmless when flying in numbers. 10 Oscars vs 3 B-24s in the air. 2 reached the target, one original and one replacement.

Just got an 8' x 4' Vistaprint banner/mat for Guadalcanal. Hopefully I'll start using it next year. This mat I plan on using for lots of Solomons and New Guinea battles.

I've done two and plan on many more battles at Rabaul. I now have 12 Ki-43s and they are fun to fly. You just know you will get shot down and get a fresh new plane! Ran a game at Origins this year with skip bombing and para-frag B-25s with 8 forward 50s, fun stuff! At Fall In Ki-43 took down 3 B-24s, so not totally harmless when flying in numbers. 10 Oscars vs 3 B-24s in the air. 2 reached the target, one original and one replacement.

Just got an 8' x 4' Vistaprint banner/mat for Guadalcanal. Hopefully I'll start using it next year. This mat I plan on using for lots of Solomons and New Guinea battles.
    I'd like to see that mat!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    I'd like to see that mat!!!!!
    I'll take a photo and post it here next chance I get...in two weeks.

WRM307

Thanks for the reply. What is your source for the aircraft, B-24 and KI-43? The Rabaul scenario is intriguing. Were the targets airfields, shipping, or both? What size table did you use? For Bismarck Sea, I use 3 8ft x 30in tables, draped with plain blue cloth for playing surface. I scratch built IJN destroyers and transports with balsa wood. Used the WoG anti-aircraft rules, slightly modified. When I get back to my desktop, I'd like to trade info and pics with you.

Quote Originally Posted by WRM307 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What is your source for the aircraft, B-24 and KI-43? The Rabaul scenario is intriguing. Were the targets airfields, shipping, or both? What size table did you use? For Bismarck Sea, I use 3 8ft x 30in tables, draped with plain blue cloth for playing surface. I scratch built IJN destroyers and transports with balsa wood. Used the WoG anti-aircraft rules, slightly modified. When I get back to my desktop, I'd like to trade info and pics with you.
    My B-24s are Maisto Adventure Wheels/TailWinds. Their B-24s and B-17s are not exactly 1/200 but very close. Ki-43s are AIM. AIM also has B-24s. See photos in the US section, Fall In 2017.

The battle I did had ship targets for skip bombing and various AA installations to be strafed by P-38s and B-25s.(also armed with parafrags!) I have several nice mats printed by Vistaprint. I have a 4' x 4' Rabaul that I put over part of a 6' x 4' ocean with islands mat. For ships I use Topside Minis.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 12-14-2017 at 16:43.

i think ares ought to at least release a pacific pack with something like a hellcat, corsair, avenger and ki-43 oscar. while many aircraft would still be missing many, many scenarios could be filled out with these aircraft with whats already available.

Just a reminder, for those who do not know, that Sky Pilot produce models of the Corsair, Hellcat and P-38 Lightning, which are almost 1/200 scale.

Bob I have played in a number of Peters games and they are great and the paint jobs on his planes are fantastic.
    Ray you should check out AIM for a source of 1/200 planes.

I don't know if I mentioned on this thread, but my frustration with the marketing decision (go BoB), is not as much that the planes aren't going to show for some (more) time, but
    the lack of new decks. While I feel I did a good job with the unofficial aircraft, since the method is mostly "what does it most closely look like", the more options to compare and choose from the better.
    I am really looking for Andrea's take on the P-38. Likewise, what differences between the Corsair and the Mustang?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Bob I have played in a number of Peters games and they are great and the paint jobs on his planes are fantastic.
    Totally agree. Peter's collection is spectacular... the man can paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I am really looking for Andrea's take on the P-38. Likewise, what differences between the Corsair and the Mustang?
    Karl
    As am I... it will be nice to get another cannon-armed plane for the Allies.

Karl I keep your unofficial stats in a binder close by. The work you did on that is great and again many thanks for what you did.

Here are a couple of shots of the 8' x 4' Guadalcanal mat. Just for scale there are 2 Corsairs and a Hellcat engaging 3 Oscars. Below left of the Corsairs you can see Henderson field.
    Can't wait to use this. Having the Check Your 6! Cactus Air Force scenario/campaign book I'd like to try running the campaign with this.

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	238174

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	238175

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions