Ares Games

Thread: Scratch build balloon bases

Hybrid View

Default Scratch build balloon bases

Hey all you creative, crafty, comrades! I am looking at trying my hand at some scratch built Drachens along the lines of what Clipper did with his excellent tutorial a while back. My conundrum comes with basing them. Do you all have any suggestions? I wasn’t sure if I should bother with altitude pegs or just do a wire stand and use counters or an altimeter for height. I would love some ideas from my betters on stand base ideas as well as pegs/wire armature ideas. Thanks everyone! I bow to your creative genius...

I am definitely not one to advise or suggest any building and modelling. Me? I see if the Aerodrome store here still has the bases. I do wish I had the patience and skill that others have.

At first I made some stands out of Basswood but they warp a little so now I use plexi-glass. If you don't have access to a ban or table saw a local glass supplier can cut them for you. Instead of pegs I use an extending magnet tool See 'Here' for a How To I did on airplane bases. Same thing for a balloon base using the larger magnet tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    At first I made some stands out of Basswood but they warp a little so now I use plexi-glass. If you don't have access to a ban or table saw a local glass supplier can cut them for you. Instead of pegs I use an extending magnet tool See 'Here' for a How To I did on airplane bases. Same thing for a balloon base using the larger magnet tool.
    Your tutorial for the extendible magnetic bases is off the charts amazing! I just need to find a source for the magnetic tool. Are you familiar with the RC Airplane site HobbyKing.com? They seem to have REDICULOUSLY low prices on just such a thing, but I am not sure if they are on the level. Anyway, thanks for a great suggestion Peter!

Do you want to DIY or have someone prepare a few for you?

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Do you want to DIY or have someone prepare a few for you?
    Well Bob, I would love the chance to do it myself as therein lies part of the fun for me. But for the right price and a good product, I might pay some one to do it much better than I could. Do you have some suggestions?

For starters you will find the magnetic tools at a local car parts place like ORileys or AutoZone for under $5. I order them on eBay from China for around $1.20 each, two weeks or more for delivery though . . .

I have found the smaller magnet tools at Auto Zone and Sears, the larger ones 'Here', American Science Surplus. I'll look into HobbyKing for sure.

Thanks you guys, I will look those places up to see what I see. I did a little bit of preliminary research on HobbyKing and it doesn’t look good. Lots of customer complaints about cheap or knockoff products not as advertised. They have a B- from the BBB and are not accredited. Tho most complaints seemed to be from people who bought 3D Printers and RC models. Can you really screw up magnetic telescoping tools?

Anyway, thanks for the advice gents! Do you have suggestions for the acrylic bases? How do you bevel the edges to take the sharpness off? Will a regular old router do the trick or does it need a specific bit since it is acrylic? You guys are awesome and a font of knowledge for a newbie like myself. What a great community!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-24-2016, 20:37
  2. My first (completed) scratch build
    By Niclas in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 03:19
  3. Muromets Scratch Build
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 06:36
  4. Otto C 1 scratch build
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 20:04
  5. RS III scratch build, where's the water?
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 06:30