Ares Games

Thread: What’s on your Workbench? No, literally...

Default What’s on your Workbench? No, literally...

Don’t worry, I’m not starting a new monthly showcase to supplant the current one.

I am in the process of revamping my crafting/hobby area in my dungeon... er, I mean, basement and I wanted to tap the experience and expertise of all you fine folks to see what kinds of tools you simply can’t live without in your own hobby stations. If you want to throw a picture up of your work station, fantastic! Thanks for the input guys and gals!

Hmmmmm... guess I worded this wrong or something. Nobody has any input for me?

I don't have a workstation per-se Nick I literally have a board so I can move about anywhere in the house, even outside on occasion - I recommend a board even if you have a workstation just so you have something you don't mind punching holes in or otherwise slicing and dicing. Other than that it's pretty standard.
    A good lamp preferably with a magnifier is a must, sharp knives (and blunt ones), decent paint brushes, glues various, a fan of some sort to aid drying (even a hand held), drills and saws, fillers and files, paints, finishers and cleaning materials. I keep most of my gear in a large tool box.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Awesome, thanks Dave! I am currently working at an old desk that I have cut/scratched/driled the heck out of as well as one of those self healing mats. I really like the board idea. Much more portable than the card table I usually set up if I don’t want to work down stairs.

Just one question: what are finishers? Is that a part of the painting process? I have never done a re-paint so I am new to that aspect. Thanks Dave

I use an old wooden bread board on the dining room table for my attemps at craft. I have a sharp knife, paints and brushes and soms glues. I also have a bendy lamp with magnification glass built in. A guillotine for cutting cards is another item in my drawer and a laminator to go with it. Clothes Pegs are also useful for holding aircraft during painting.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkMonkey View Post
    ...Just one question: what are finishers? Is that a part of the painting process? I have never done a re-paint so I am new to that aspect. Thanks Dave
    Yeah, they're any finishing product that seals paint/decals from damage. I use a floor polish called Klear and over that use an acrylic matt varnish. The combination gives me the finish I want and protects decals that can be delicate. Everybody has different preferences from none to some !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Welcome to the Clipper Dome. "One enters the dome, many leave" - the elves are out getting donuts so I took a few shots of the current scheme for production and therapy. Because the garage is often over the 90 degree mark, only the big tools live out there now. Mrs Clipper in the Treaty of '12 has graciously bequeathed the dining zone under strict guidelines. The tile floor helps keep the bits from getting lost in the carpet, but proves a bit tricky for falling aircraft. Meanwhile here is the main building zone, 40" x 102" pine top table, layered with the required disposable plastic seasonal table cover. Sheets of heavy duty cardboard 30" x 30" lurk in the laundry room just out of camera range to cover area to be used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171203_125212.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	237239

Since the "zone" is used occasionally and inspected daily, all the projects are staged on stacking devices ranging from shallow shadow trays for beading to cardboard lids from banker boxes.

Name:	20171203_125216.jpg 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	237240

Name:	20171203_125220.jpg 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	237241

Name:	20171203_125227.jpg 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	237242

Name:	20171203_125231.jpg 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	237243

Latest addition is the two deck turn style for staging and drying the "products"

Name:	20171203_115655.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	237244

Then key to the operation is the cool wooden tool box I recieved as a birthday gift . . . drawers for all the essentials, knives, files, drills, bits, brushes, glues etc. The idea here is to have at the ready any small tools, yet in a moments notice can be secured from little hands . . .

Name:	20171203_125238.jpg 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	237245

Name:	20171203_125250.jpg 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	237246

Name:	20171203_125300.jpg 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	237247

Name:	20171203_125317.jpg 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	237248

Name:	20171203_125339.jpg 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	237249

The tool kit rests on a credenza (a Mrs Clipper word for a low book case) On this we also find the multicopier/printer thing . . . DVD player for my movies whilst "therapy" proceeds

Name:	20171203_125424.jpg 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	237250

Name:	20171203_125451.jpg 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	237251

Name:	20171203_125507.jpg 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	237252

Name:	20171203_125522.jpg 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	237253

Name:	20171203_125550.jpg 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	237254

Lots of rectangular baskets nap on each shelf, keeping the larger tools and supplies organized, one for larger tools, another for sanding blocks and abrasives, one for markers and color pencils, copier paper, decal sheets, stickers, others store other handy bits. So there is the main realm of my delight in this model making terrain. It has been great n ow for many years. Just off to the left is the back patio/outdoor spray booth and curing area. To the right one finds themselves in the galley, often co-producing cookies and minis! Nice co-existence that I enjoy and Mrs Clipper can use when her crafts are attended. Such things as quilting and grand-kids doing "art" at any given moment. Flexibility and courtesy are the passwords. Well there it is, the elves are back, must relieve them of the donuts before they think they are theirs!
    Last edited by clipper1801; 12-03-2017 at 20:32.

See I can't show the wife that CLIPPER posts. He is to well organized and that's all I would hear from her. I have my things in sight but then have to remember where I put them even when looking right at them.

Sigh, what area to show...In the basement I have my reloading station for making ammo for my firearm collection, a chain mail station for working on chain and armor, my leather working station, my gem grinding station for grinding cabochons, upstairs is my painting table...sigh I will not even get into my wife's woodworking, leather working, or potting areas. On top of her potters wheel and kiln....Who has time for a real life?...oh yeah...my closet full of old AH and SPI wargames, shelves of miniatures from all eras and systems...and we both have almost every wall in the house full of book shelves...my Sci Fi, Historicals, military history, reference, fantasy fict, and her murder mysterys, horror, historicals, and reference....some day we are gonna have a hell of a garage sale..

You guys make me jealous of the amazing hobby and craft areas you have in your domiciles. What would be your most favorite, can’t-live-without tool or piece of equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Sigh, what area to show...In the basement I have my reloading station for making ammo for my firearm collection, a chain mail station for working on chain and armor, my leather working station, my gem grinding station for grinding cabochons, upstairs is my painting table...sigh I will not even get into my wife's woodworking, leather working, or potting areas. On top of her potters wheel and kiln....Who has time for a real life?...oh yeah...my closet full of old AH and SPI wargames, shelves of miniatures from all eras and systems...and we both have almost every wall in the house full of book shelves...my Sci Fi, Historicals, military history, reference, fantasy fict, and her murder mysterys, horror, historicals, and reference....some day we are gonna have a hell of a garage sale..
    I am right there with you in regards to the books. My wife has a library of books and a massive movie collection, I’ve got my audiobooks and my board games collection. We don’t have nearly the vastness of hobbies that you and your wife do Ken. Sounds like you two keep quite busy and with quite the gamut of interests!

Similar Missions

1. What's on your workbench----AUG
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 09-03-2017, 21:39
  2. Central England New Wings of Glory player - Literally just a few days with no experience
    By peejaycee in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-09-2017, 14:14
  3. The OTHER workbench . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 04:30
  4. ACE PLAYING CARDS (literally)
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2015, 15:07
  5. The Workbench