Ares Games

Thread: Beware the five-year-old!

Default Beware the five-year-old!

During Thanksgiving weekend, we were visiting friends for dinner and several teens and kids asked if we could play a game. I'd brought my Wings of Glory planes in my duffel, and my wife suggested breaking them out for a dogfight.

We ended up with my wife, myself, 3 teens, my daughter (who's five) and my daughter's best friend (who's six). Since we had so many new players, we agreed to play a free-for-all with everyone allowed to shoot everyone, and simplified rules (ignoring some restricted maneuvers, no altitude, no damage symbols, etc.).

Turned out everyone had a blast...and my little girl terrorized EVERYONE in the sky flying an Aviatik D.I.

Early in, she passes me and guns down my Albatros D.III.

Then a few rounds later she gets behind my wife and shoots down her Fokker Dr.I.

Then she takes down a Nieuport 17.

The game ended with her and one of the teens as the last two survivors trying to bring each other down. Eventually the teen got her, but only after she filled his plane with holes!

My daughter's six-year-old friend also did quite well, considering. No kills, but she was one of the very last planes to be shot down.

It was a fun match, and everyone had a good time. I am so proud how many kills my little girl got in her first game, I don't even mind she shot me down first.

It is amazing how often it happens that a young pilot in their first game does so well against more experienced players.

Nice to see children enjoying the game.

Thumbs up

You deserve some Rep for that David!
    Well done to you & the new pilots.

I expect I will get the same when my grandson gets to try his hand in a year or two ...

That's assuming he lets me fly German

Amazing how well the littl'uns seem to grasp this game.
    Sounds like you all had a good time.

Instinctive flying does the job, kids don't seem to over analyse like we do - great to hear.

"He is wise who watches"

That must be a great gamimg time.
    The youngers are really dangerous pilots. Three years in a row the best pilot of the Prague Con was around 10 years old.
    Last edited by Kubajs; 11-28-2017 at 00:15.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and congrats to my daughter.

My wife often praises Wings of War as a good tabletop game because it has very visually striking aircraft models, it's easy to play but still a lot of fun. She was the one who suggested bringing it along for Thanksgiving, and the teens and kids really seemed to like it!

Hopefully we'll be able to introduce a few advanced rules into the mix next time, or try flying teams instead of a free for all.

P.S. I realized after posting this that it probably should have gone into "After Action Reports"-mods, my apologies.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT ED Mission 15 - Beware the Hun in the Sun
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-14-2016, 13:16
  2. AAR OTT ED Mission 15 - Beware the Hun in the Sun
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-22-2016, 02:03
  3. England Beware! Threat from 20,000 ft!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 02:51
  4. General Gothas Beware !
    By Vadasz in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 23:02
  5. Beware the Black Staaken!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 18:27