Ares Games

Thread: PAW (Plymouth Association of Wargamers) Annual show 2018

Default PAW (Plymouth Association of Wargamers) Annual show 2018

Morning All,

A heads up for the annual wargames show in Plymouth, on the Devon Cornwall border. February 3rd and 4th 2018. This is their 40th anniversary!

The link that follows gives details: http://www.plymouthwargamers.co.uk/i...nual-show.html

Via the Exmouth Wargamers (same guys that run Exeter Legionary show), I am hoping to get a table for this one, to put on a participation demo game for WGF. The Exmouth club want to support it and I have said I'll do both days, provided I have some of them in attendance on each day.

I have a "Wings" banner now, thanks to Maverick and his son, so shall represent the Drome primarily. Anyone from here would be more than welcome, although I know it is a long way South West. I'm also aware that it clashes with the York show

Let me know if you are interested and I should know definitely, one way or another, if its on, by this time next week.

Cheers,

Mike

Good on you Mike. Do remember that to officially represent the Drome three members minimum must be present at the game. Can you cajole a couple of your friends to join the Drome to make it all above board?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I reckon so Rob. There are one or two close friends that I'm working on. That includes Drome member Andrew, from Mary Tavy, whom I am hoping will be able to make it, but it depends on his work schedule. There is another new member, from this year, that I haven't been able to make contact with yet (probably me getting things wrong). He may respond.

Also, one or two of the Exmouth group are already on the drome, simply lapsed a bit Others I'm hoping to persuade to sign up. There are, in addition, some lapsed members in the Devon wargames Group based in Exeter. I'll try to persuade them to update things at our Xmas bash in December. Finally, I'm popping along to the local Newton Abbot group, next week. They seem to be primarily focused on fantasy / science fiction games, but their website indicates they are open to suggestions. Who knows

One way or another, possibly even adding current active members, I'll put together the required three. Bye the bye, I had no idea that this was a requirement. I do now though

Chau for now,

Mike

Bit far for me Mike, especially with Beachhead and Cavalier in Feb, that might be pushing my luck too far !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

No problem there Mike.
    Lapsed members are still counted into the fold.
    Rob.

Update on PAW - this is now a definite - 3rd and 4th February 2018. The Kitto Centre, Honicknowle Lane, Plymouth PL5 3NG. See link above.

I shall run participation WW1 Wings games on both days. A few of the Exmouth club members (some of them drome members already and one or two who have undertaken to register) have volunteered to help out. If anyone else in the UK fancies a trip to the west country to lend a hand that would be much appreciated

Please let me know if you think you might be able to make it. I'll respond as soon as I can, but shall be out of the office for at least a week now. Have to go abroad, with my wife, to see a female, non pilot, relation who ended up in the sick house in Rotterdam for a seven hour emergency op. Critical I'm afraid

Catch up when we return,

Chau for now.

I hope to be there one of the days not sure which one yet, let me know if you are light on numbers for either day.

Do remember that to officially represent the Drome three members minimum must be present at the game.
    Out of interest, why three? I'm sure we've done a few events in the past with two (and on at least one occasion with only one)

Not quibbling. just curious

Three was the agreed number between myself and Keith when he allowed us to have the banners and logo for the Drome.
    We considered this a safe number to run a show without letting down the Organisers or putting ourselves in a position where we were not doing them justice. I personally prefer four, because that allows someone to grab a break whilst not under manning the table.
    Rob.

Ah Mike the Kitto Centre. Remember it well in the days I lived in Plymouth. Would love to be there but Brittany Ferries have no boats that week end

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Would love to be there but Brittany Ferries have no boats that week end
    NO SAIL(ing)S!!!!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    NO SAIL(ing)S!!!!!
    Cruel but true Tim

Don't push it Lt. Colonel.
    Kyte.

Brett 1815

I'll be there hopefully Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Don't push it Lt. Colonel.
    Kyte.
    Which one?

Lest we forget

OK - so far so good Thanks Brett and Burt. Come what may I shall run both days, but it will be good to have some other members there too

Hi Mike
    sorry committed for York 2018
    will note in diary for 2019
    Regards
    Mav

Cheers Simon - pity about the clash 'cos I would have enjoyed York myself. However, I'm looking forward to the Plymouth show too

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    OK - so far so good Thanks Brett and Burt. Come what may I shall run both days, but it will be good to have some other members there too
    Sorry Mike I'm afraid I will not be able to make it after all.

OK Burt - No prob. Sorry you cannot make it, but there's always next time Take care now.

Last call / heads up, for PAWS. All is set for our west country bash in Plymouth next weekend. Looking forward to this one. It's a first for me oddly enough!

Hope all goes well this weekend Mike, out of my range but I'm working on getting to Exeter in May.

Have a good event Mike and keep the flag flying.
    Rob.

Best of luck Mike for the weekend and don't forget to enjoy yourself.
    Paul

Have a great time. I'll think of you enjoying yourselves while I am on a plane to New York.

Edward

Good luck with your event Mike!

Remember to take a few pictures!

OK guys - Day 1
    All is set

Name:  Paws 1.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  170.9 KB

The likely lads are ready ! Yours truly and Forum member Jon.

Name:  Paws 2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  213.3 KB

Game one and the early birds are flying - mostly in circles.

Name:  Paws 3.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  133.8 KB Name:  Paws 4.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  196.5 KB

Then the heavies arrive. Forum member Brett, along with Exmouth club members Steve, Peter and Mark (no time for pics from the latter two - too busy fighting. Very serious stuff )

Name:  Paws 5.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  217.6 KB

Well that one was clearly a victory for the Central Powers.

Name:  Paws 6.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  199.9 KB Name:  Paws 7.jpg
Size:  132.4 KB

Next up - complete novices from the local area. But they picked up the rules very quickly - Oh you younger chaps have played X Wing already No comment!!! OK so its an OK game - I suppose

Name:  Paws 8.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  221.8 KB

Pretty much a draw this one, although the inevitable collision did not help

Name:  Paws 9.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  152.4 KB Name:  Paws 10.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  146.6 KB

The last game of the day - quite a hum dinger. Andy from Plymouth must be given the victory for two reasons. One - his final tally of "0" damage cards rivals Tim Helmut's tally from Newark last year Two, he is the proud possessor of a model vehicle which he uses in one of his own games - namely a fully armed "ice cream van" - got to say it guys - How cool is that Regret no pic of the van

Name:  Paws 11.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  224.1 KB Name:  Paws 12.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  188.0 KB

A Brisfit and a DVII face up to one another. Then a Camel sneaks from under the clouds.

Name:  Paws 13.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  216.0 KB Name:  Paws 14.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  228.2 KB

The DVII comes off rather badly. The rest circle for position.

Name:  Paws 15.jpg
Size:  207.9 KB Name:  Paws 16.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  191.1 KB

Down goes an Albatros; down goes the Brisfit. One of the remaining Albatros scouts is burning

Name:  Paws 17.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  218.4 KB

The last Camel goes down and "Andy" from Plymouth reveals the damage to his Albatros. Impressive huh

A very enjoyable first day, which was well attended. Very few young people i.e. teenagers or younger, which was surprising. However, I did spend ten minutes with one young chap, of around 7 years of age, there with his mum and dad. He picked upthe game quickly enough and the look of delight, when I announced he was an "Ace", having blown my aircraft away, was worth the whole weekend - no pics I'm afraid

Finally, there was one unusual moment, also not recorded I'm sad to say, when Tim and Tim were opposing one another along with two other players. Tim got shot down, right when one of the other players had to leave. So Tim says "I'll take his aircraft on, and carry on playing". The inevitable happened. He was shot down on the very next manoeuver. Tim, thanks sooo much for taking that so well. A real sport!!

More to follow with day two. Watch this space

Sorry, not sure if I should have posted this here or under AARs - hope it's ok where I put it

Great pics Mike Only wish I was there to join in the fun.

Day Two

A much, much quieter day, but enjoyable for all that. Within the first 20 minutes the fire alarm went off and we were all chivied into the car park. Not much fun with a very cold Easterly blowing across it. But it was an opportunity to chat to some interesting folk

Game one : Local scout leader (regret name unknown), begins to play Exmouth club member Tony. Then Royal Marine Dave and another Exmouth club member, Chris join in - two on two - ideal

Name:  Paws 18.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  249.1 KB Name:  Paws 19.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  251.7 KB

Name:  Paws 20.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  218.4 KB Name:  Paws 21.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  192.3 KB

It isn't long before one of each side is eliminated, leaving Dave and Chris to fight it out to the bitter end.

Name:  Paws 22.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  195.0 KB Name:  Paws 23.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  193.5 KB

Name:  Paws 24.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  223.2 KB

Next up, another Royal Marine, complete with seriously injured shoulder - well they will play hard I suppose His opponent is another Andy - a very determined player. Both are complete novices.
    It was over very quickly and our second Royal Marine was a very happy guy

Name:  Paws 25.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  230.9 KB Name:  Paws 26.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:  Paws 27.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  236.4 KB

Andy remained and took on Tony. They circled one another for an age, in what turned into a very interesting one on one game.

Name:  Paws 28.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  261.6 KB

Until finally the Albatros was virtually trapped over the allied trenches. Not much you can do about the Boom card I'm afraid. One of the very few to come out during the entire weekend - I'm glad to say! I have to add that Andy was another real good sport. He drew some awful damage cards and never complained once - full marks buddy!

Name:  Paws 29.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  198.3 KB Name:  Paws 30.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  251.0 KB

Name:  Paws 31.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  141.8 KB

My heartfelt thanks to the members of Exmouth Imperial Wargames group. Not only did they support the event but also stopped and helped when it was most needed. Thanks guys. Incidentally, these are the same guys that run Exeter Legionary show in May each year. Great stuff Also, thanks to all of those who participated and to the many very interesting people I got to talk to during the event. Finally - thanks to Plymouth Association of Wargamers for putting on the show in the first place. Long may that continue.

Thanks for posting this very erudite compilation of the first day's play Mike.
    Superb terrain, and flying helmets. i can see this catching on Tim. Oh! it has.

Kyte.

Great pics Mike Only wish I was there to join in the fun.
    Cheers Paul - we'll meet up one day just the same, I trust, despite that bit of the sea that lies betwixt and between

Thanks Wing Commander - the flying helmet and goggles were a gift from a special lady in Canada - my son's partner. I shall pass on your appreciation

Well done Mike! A great set-up.

I look forward to playing on it at "Legionary" in May.

(I recognise those clouds..................)

Well done Mike, looks a great set up and two good days, well done that man

(I recognise those clouds..................)
    Hahahaha Can't think where I might have got that idea from

Great stuff Mike, glad it all went well - apart from the fire alarm !
    "Oh, you younger chaps have played X Wing..."
    We had a couple of lads at Colours who said they play X-wing 'so we should be able to handle this' .... Challenge accepted
    Last edited by flash; 02-06-2018 at 01:00.

The shame of it was Dave, the guys next to us were selling X Wing. There wasn't a soul selling Wings of Glory anywhere at the show, although I had an interesting chat with a trader who desperately wanted to, but wasn't allowed 'cos he doesn't have a web site set up

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    The shame of it was Dave, the guys next to us were selling X Wing. There wasn't a soul selling Wings of Glory anywhere at the show, although I had an interesting chat with a trader who desperately wanted to, but wasn't allowed 'cos he doesn't have a web site set up
    That makes no sense at all does it !

Similar Missions

1. WMMS 2018 ..yes 2018 !!
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2018, 12:00
  2. WWI Historical Association
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 11:20
  3. Great War Association event video