Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Mission 16 - Breaking Point - June 21 1918 - gully_raker

Default OTTBE Mission 16 - Breaking Point - June 21 1918 - gully_raker

Prologue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Algy Smyth Browne.jpg  Views: 28  Size: 85.1 KB  ID: 235449" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lt Algenon Smyth-Browne was in a deep blue funk! In a fit of Patriotic Fervour he had left Trinity College at Cambridge University in the middle of his final year to join the Royal Flying Corps & now 18 months later he was somehow still alive when so many other pilots had lasted only a few weeks He even had one victory but that was so long ago, way back in mid 1917. Mick O'Leary the diminutive Irishman who had joined the Squadron around the same time now had 6 kills.What was he Algy doing wrong? Sure he had been wounded & out of action for a few weeks but still.
    He thought of all his College mates who had paid the ultimate price. Half his crew-mates from the sculling 8's were dead & about 7 of the Cricket Blues had been lost in the mud & barbed wire of the Trenches. Yet somehow he had survived. Hawker was dead, Albert Ball was dead, young Rhys Davids the Etonian Classic scholar & victor over Werner Voss was dead. Kurt Wolff the German Ace was dead. Even the famous Red Baron,the highest scoring Ace of all sides was dead! They had all been Aces yet he still lived but for how long?
    His mind reeled & his head spun. He had to prove himself to the Squadron & to himself! Suddenly a plan developed in his mind Yes! On the next patrol he would lose the Flight in the clouds & go Hun Hunting! Death or Glory like the 17th/21st Lancers of that famous Crimean Charge.

The Mission

Two days later he had his chance as he was detailed to fly with the morning Offensive Patrol over the front lines & the sky was filled with cumulus clouds.
    Waiting for his opportunity he turned away & lost the Flight in a cloud.
    On exiting the cloud he saw an Albatros C.III at a lower altitude heading away from him towards German territory. "Now this is my chance" he thought. "I don't recognise it, must be one of the FFA aircraft returning from observation" Hoping the German crew had not seen him he closed on the enemy aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 01.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 145.2 KB  ID: 235450" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 02.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 143.1 KB  ID: 235451" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

However the German pilot was no novice & turned to face the oncoming British aircraft.
    Fulled by adrenaline & a new found skill he manoeuvred into the blind spot of the C.III & dealt it a telling burst wounding the pilot & jamming its rudder. "That's the way to do it Algy old boy" he shouted to himself.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 03.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 143.7 KB  ID: 235453" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

His joy was to be short lived however for as he passed behind the Albatros the rear gunner hit his Camel & set it on fire!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 04.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 142.0 KB  ID: 235454" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

"Oh God! No! " he screamed in anguish. Fire was every pilots nightmare & although Algy would not have minded being killed he definitely did not want to be burnt to death.
    Calling on all his skill he turned the Camel from side to side to keep the fire away from the cockpit. The fire appeard to die down & he took a deep breath to steady himself.
    "Right" he thought "I can manage this, just keep a cool head!"

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 05.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 137.9 KB  ID: 235456" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As he chased the Albatros he was further dismayed to see a Halberstadt Cl.II in the colours of the Eagles coming towards him although it was still some way away.
    Perhaps distracted by this he only managed to do minor damage to the German 2 seater & the rear gunners return fire scored a minor flesh wound to his right shoulder.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 06.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 146.9 KB  ID: 235457" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Suddenly the 2 German 2 seaters collided probably because of the Albatros' pilots wound. Both suffered damage from the impact but Algy was now back in "the Zone" & took the opportunity to wound the pilot of the Halberstadt.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 07.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 146.2 KB  ID: 235458" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The fire on the Camel suddenly flared up & Algy cursed! *#^# "Please God NO!"" Dont let me burn!" Panic set in & his resolve faltered.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 08.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 138.6 KB  ID: 235459" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Finally pulling himself together he looked around the Sky to see the Albatros C.III heading for home with its wounded pilot & he realised he had lost the opportunity of a kill.
    The Halberstadt was still in view so he headed towards it in a desperate attempt to attack it before the fire destroyed his aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 09.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 150.1 KB  ID: 235460" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As he tracked the German 2 seater the fire finally burnt itself out although the sturdy little Camel was badly damaged.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 130.9 KB  ID: 235461" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Breathing a huge sigh of relief he checked to see that no more enemy aircraft were in the vicinity. He could not afford to attempt to take on two Germans with the damage he had sustained but he was determined to shoot down something before he turned the Camel for home.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 11.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 128.1 KB  ID: 235463" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The 2 opposing aircraft turned towards each other but were still out of range.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 12.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 143.9 KB  ID: 235464" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

There was still no sign of another German plane so Algy pressed his attack.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 13.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 140.9 KB  ID: 235465" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The converging planes narrowly avoided a collision.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 14.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 136.2 KB  ID: 235466" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As the Halberstadt passed the rear gunner took a snap shot at Agly but caused little damage before his machine gun jammed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 15.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 140.7 KB  ID: 235467" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The two aircraft continued to turn looking for an advantage to no avail.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 16.jpg  Views: 28  Size: 149.5 KB  ID: 235468" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Finally Algy got a perfect opportunity & peppered the engine of the German aircraft which caused it to crash in German Territory. British ground forces witnessed the crash of the enemy aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 17.jpg  Views: 28  Size: 152.0 KB  ID: 235469" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Having finally achieved a kill & having survived the fire which had badly damaged his aircraft Algy realised his energy was spent & so with the monkey off his back & a sober reminder of just how lucky he was he turned the battered Camel for home & hoped his excuses & a victory would mollify Uncle about the sad state of his Camel & losing the Flight.

Observations & Comments

Well that went pear shaped really quick. Once Algy caught fire I thought it was all over! However I was lucky no further German planes were rolled for & having dispatched the Halberstadt I decided to let Algy return home with only 2 damage points remaining. I had chosen Marksman, Acrobatic Pilot & Dedicated Ground crew as my Ace Skills & apart from Marksman never got the chance to use the other two. Could have used "Lucky Pilot" had I picked that one!
    I hope Bob & Dave consider this was the right thing to do.

I really enjoyed the scenario & would like to try this one again in the future. Could be a fun one for our Games Club too! Well done Bob for a great mission.
    Last edited by flash; 10-18-2017 at 23:01. Reason: Title adjustment

Post The Butchers Bill

Camel No.4 2Lt Algy Smyth-Browne: RTB/WIA 1 kill - Halberstadt Cl.II
    Rolled 7 +3RTB -1WIA = 9 All well when you land well.
    13 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 1.jpg  Views: 28  Size: 121.0 KB  ID: 235474" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Albatros C.III
    Pilot unknown
    RTB/WIA
    Observer
    Unknown
    RTB
    12 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 2.jpg  Views: 27  Size: 136.3 KB  ID: 235475" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Halberstadt Cl.II
    Pilot Vzfwbl Alwin Sommer: SD-FT/WIA 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -1SD -1WIA = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. rolled 2 = Skip 1

Observer Ltn Gustav Gille: SD-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -1SD = 7 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 4 = Skip 2
    13 damage points inc 2 engine damage

Name:	<acronym title=BB 3.jpg  Views: 28  Size: 138.4 KB  ID: 235476" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dave could I impose on you & Uncle for the wound rolls.
    Not sure how this one plays out with the Albatros forced to return with Wounded Pilot but I think it results in a
    LOSS.

Uncle thinks so too !
    Last edited by flash; 10-19-2017 at 00:09. Reason: Tally updated

Uncle will be along after Brekkers.
    That was a short lived action Baz but at least Algy bagged one and made it home - he was unlucky to be wounded and have a fire, what a nightmare, the decision to bug out was the right one without a doubt.
    I chose the same skills and only after I started did I realise how vulnerable my pilot could be, I think you demonstrated how bad it could get !

Uncle says:

It appears the squadron has gone quite mad this week - Shot up kite, shot up pilot, I rather hope you've learned a lesson but I doubt it so I think a spot of latrine duty might help straighten you out young fella me lad. Congratulations on the kill by the way. Now get out of my sight !

2Lt Algy Smyth-Browne: RTB/WIA 1 kill

Sommer & Gille are awarded Iron Cross 2nd class for missions/kills Gille also gets Wound badge in silver.
    Last edited by flash; 10-19-2017 at 00:06.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Uncle will be along after Brekkers.
    That was a short lived action Baz but at least Algy bagged one and made it home - he was unlucky to be wounded and have a fire, what a nightmare, the decision to bug out was the right one without a doubt.
    I chose the same skills and only after I started did I realise how vulnerable my pilot could be, I think you demonstrated how bad it could get !

Uncle says:

It appears the squadron has gone quite mad this week - Shot up kite, shot up pilot, I rather hope you've learned a lesson but I doubt it so I think a spot of latrine duty might help straighten you out young fella me lad. Congratulations on the kill by the way. Now get out of my sight !

2Lt Algy Smyth-Browne: RTB/WIA 1 kill

Sommer & Gille are awarded Iron Cross 2nd class for missions/kills Gille also gets Wound badge in silver.
    Many thanks Uncle for the speedy resolution of the Wound Rolls!
    Good result all round.

Hopefully Algy will now buckle down & with his second kill & loose the dreaded "blues"!l

Consigned to the latrines!!!!! That's a bit harsh Uncle. Well done Baz. Given that an unlucky hit set your Camel alight, you did really well to survive and shoot down a two seater. Plus one unconfirmed.
    Top entertainment value - thanks REP gun jammed sadly - just not your day I guess

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Consigned to the latrines!!!!! That's a bit harsh Uncle...
    Yeah, well, he lost and if you're not covered in glory .... We're all in it, it's just the depth that varies !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Good story. Unfortunately you got hit hard early and had to turn back before you could do major damage.
    Digging latrines shouldn't be too bad, at least you will make the other guys happy when you are done. Just make sure you do Uncle's first.

Looks like my initial response is one of those consigned to the Black Hole of Lost Internet Posts

As I said the first time, I missed this thread entirely when originally posted because I was in northern California for two weeks accompanying 4 of your compatriots, one each from Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane. With any luck I will get a chance to help them implement our system next year (fingers crossed) and hope to get to meet you and perhaps a few other Aussies of the Forum in person.

Back to the post at hand ...
    I was certain poor old Algy had seen the end of his days and was relieved that Uncle's die rolls did not finish him off.
    Great job, Baz. Now to see if I can give you rep (again) or did the server 'remember' that part

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Looks like my initial response is one of those consigned to the Black Hole of Lost Internet Posts

As I said the first time, I missed this thread entirely when originally posted because I was in northern California for two weeks accompanying 4 of your compatriots, one each from Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane. With any luck I will get a chance to help them implement our system next year (fingers crossed) and hope to get to meet you and perhaps a few other Aussies of the Forum in person.

Back to the post at hand ...
    I was certain poor old Algy had seen the end of his days and was relieved that Uncle's die rolls did not finish him off.
    Great job, Baz. Now to see if I can give you rep (again) or did the server 'remember' that part
    Thanks for the Rep Pete.
    Yes everything after 25th October seems to have disappeared!

Smile Bugger!

Looks like my Latrine based Epilogue along with a photo has been lost in cyberspace.
    Sadly I deleted the pic from my computer & cant be bothered trying to find it again.

Suffice to say Algy has been posted back to Flying Status with a severe warning from Uncle to NOT get separated from this Flight in the future.

Algy sure did well with the early troubles he was handed. Fire is never good. He did well to earn a confirmed kill and get back unharmed. Too bad he didn't crash land and break his nose. Bandages there would have helped make fulfilling Uncle's punishment a little less disgusting.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Algy sure did well with the early troubles he was handed. Fire is never good. He did well to earn a confirmed kill and get back unharmed. Too bad he didn't crash land and break his nose. Bandages there would have helped make fulfilling Uncle's punishment a little less disgusting.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT BE Mission 16: Breaking Point. Mike's Tale
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-26-2017, 15:13
  2. AAR OTTBE Mission 16 - Flashes Breaking Point 21st June 1918
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2017, 17:48
  3. AAR OTTBE Mission 16 Breaking Point--21 June 1918
    By Setarius in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16