Ares Games

Thread: Rockets?

Default Rockets?

I have a couple of questions in regard to rockets in WoW.
    Has anyone used them to attack large, slow flying giants?
    How many points would they cost to arm an aircraft with them?
    Is the only model with them currently a Nieuport?
    Are we likely to see more planes with them?
    Cheers!

Balloons are a big non moving target in WWI. Large, slow giants move to fast for the rockets of WWI. The flying giants are not full of inflammable gas, and yes they were tried and failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    I have a couple of questions in regard to rockets in WoW....
    Has anyone used them to attack large, slow flying giants?
    I'm sure they have, we attacked trains with them in OTT !

How many points would they cost to arm an aircraft with them?
    No idea, don't use points but it seems an extra gun costs 20pts, incendiary bullets are 6pts so work something out that suits.

Is the only model with them currently a Nieuport?
    the only Ares & Nexus models are the N.11 & N.16 respectively.

Are we likely to see more planes with them?
    Unlikely until a balloon release but Keep an eye on Ares new game Tripods & Triplanes.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...sion-from-Mars
    Last edited by flash; 10-14-2017 at 08:48.

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dave.
    Looking at the mechanics of firing rockets in WoG can anyone provide a slightly better card by card breakdown of how they are fired in game please?
    From what I can see you must fire them whilst performing a straight or stall, then perform a straight or stall twice more?
    During this you cannot take damage that has a special effect.
    Is this correct or is the movement less than the 3 cards?

You nearly have it Steven, it's a two card move to fire and hit.

Sans Altitude:
    To fire rockets : Perform a stall or straight (card 1); target in range & arc.
    For rockets to hit: Perform a stall or straight (card 2); same target in range & arc; no special damage received in either phase.
    Perform any card (card 3)

Basically one of the two moves has to be a stall card, it's up to you which.

Using Altitude
    To fire rockets : Perform a stall, straight, or dive (card 1); target in range & arc.
    For rockets to hit: Perform a stall, straight, or dive (card 2); same target in range & arc; no special damage received in either phase and be above or same level as target.
    Perform any card (card 3)

You have two rocket tokens that each cause 1 x D deck card damage, you can elect to use one or both tokens in an attack.
    Note that if within half ruler (& 1 level above or below if using altitude) when it goes bang then you also receive 1 C deck damage card (numbers only)

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave, do you fire before the first card or second?

Ah. I think I get it.
    The first card is the launch and the second is the hit if still in line with targets base?
    Last edited by Popsical; 10-14-2017 at 13:16.

You got it ! As long as you're in range etc after the first move the rockets are launched, they hit after the second move if all requirements reached. I usually put the rocket token(s) on the base on the first move to denote they're being fired; take them off if launch achieved.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You nearly have it Steven, it's a two card move to fire and hit.

Sans Altitude:
    To fire rockets : Perform a stall or straight (card 1); target in range & arc.
    For rockets to hit: Perform a stall or straight (card 2); ...

Using Altitude
    To fire rockets : Perform a stall, straight, or dive (card 1); target in range & arc.
    For rockets to hit: Perform a stall, straight, or dive (card 2); ...

Basically one of the two moves has to be a stall card, it's up to you which.

Yeah. Be careful how you read this, because unless you are flying a Fokker D.VII, you can't (normally) fly two stalls (steep maneuvers) in a row. The D.VII is the only plane that I can recall which has a non-steep stall maneuver.

Also, when Tripods and Triplanes comes out, there could be an equipment card for equipping flaming rockets on any plane. Basically molotov cocktails on a rocket. The method of firing the rockets is the same, too.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The only models produced with rockets on their wing struts are the Nieuport 11's and 16's but other planes were capable of carrying rockets and there are counters in the Rules and Accessories pack, which you can use to show that they are carrying rockets and discard once they have been fired.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Yeah. Be careful how you read this, because unless you are flying a Fokker D.VII, you can't (normally) fly two stalls (steep maneuvers) in a row. The D.VII is the only plane that I can recall which has a non-steep stall maneuver..
    The rules as written don't take it into account that the basic flight rules are applied and don't clarify the point but I'd have thought that was a given. Worth mentioning though as someone will try it and argue the point.
    A Fokker D.VII cannot fly two steep manoeuvres in a row either - the card without the steep marker is not a stall, for game purposes, nor is it a straight as it is not so marked so that card could not be used in this process even if the Fokker used rockets. That card is apparently there to represent the D.VII's ability to hang on its prop.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. WGF DH 2 with Rockets!!!
    By Walter Nowotny in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-17-2016, 14:27
  2. Help for using Me 262's R4M rockets
    By Mad Charly in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-30-2015, 01:51
  3. Rockets
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions