Ares Games

Thread: Solo AAR: Rising Sun, Falling Skies: Game 1 Hangzhou August 1937

Default Solo AAR: Rising Sun, Falling Skies: Game 1 Hangzhou August 1937

August 14th 1937 Hangzhou:

Col Kao Chi-Hang, Group Leader of 4th Pursuit Group, had just taken over Hawk IIIc IV-1 and was soon airbourne with his wing man Lt Tan Won.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KAo Chi-Hang.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	234656

Name:	Lt Tan Won.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	234657

They were after a flight of Japanese G3M2 bombers heading for Jianqiao Airfield north east of Hangzhou.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 006 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	234658

They spotted a lone G3M2 and headed of to intercept it.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 002 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	234659

Signalling his wingman to bank left, Kao banked right. They would divide the fire of the bomber.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 008 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	234660

The bomber crew had not spotted either Hawk and continued directly towards their target. Both Kao and Tan closed in and from above engaged the bomber.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 012 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	234661

The bomber took some damage but Tan took the brunt of the return fire as both upper turrets each engaged one of the Hawks. Passing by the bomber the turrets swung round and fired a burst at each Hawk.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 014 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	234662

Name:	Shanghai 1937 015 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	234663

Both Hawks reversed and sped after the slow bomber. The bomber banked right throwing off Kao’s Hawk by the turn.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 018 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	234664

Lt Tan Won pressed home the attack from above, whilst Kao turned to close.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 020 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	234665

Lt Tan Won again pressed home the advantage; neither turret was in range...yet.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 021 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	234666

Banking left the bomber caught Lt Tan Won, still closing, in his trap which allowed both turrets to engage. Kao was closing fast.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 024 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	234667

The bomber continued its turn to the left but both Hawks were now in range.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 025 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	234668

Name:	Shanghai 1937 026 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	234669

The stricken bomber plunged into the banks of the Qiantang River the crew having no chance to bail out.

Name:	Shanghai 1937 027 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	234670

Lt Tan Won just made it back to Jianqiao Airfield in his badly damaged Hawk (10 damage), Col Kao Chi-Hang landed shortly after with slightly less damage (3 damage).

Summary:
    1. I used a G3M2 with the turtle turret and smaller dorsal turret as having 2 360 smaller turrets and 1 ventral turret.
    2. The Hawk's acquited themselves very well but next time they might not be so lucky.
    3. Until I get Carl's damage charts and repair charts I am classing any damage above 50% as 2 days to repair 1 point, anything under 50% 1 day/point. At 75% there's a simple dice roll for write off spares that will produce a number of days (1 to 5) worth of spares that can be used to reduce an aircrafts repair time.
    4. G3M2 Bomber used a cut down XB deck (no climbs or dives) and a random draw was made after the movement for both Hawks had been decided to plot the G3M2's moves. Also all movement was slow until it released it's bomb load.

What actually happened:

On 14 August 1937, the IJNAF Kanoya Kokutai dispatched nine Mitsubishi G3M1 Model 11 long-range bombers under the command of Lieutenant Commander Nitta to attack the Schien Chiao Airfield (Jianqiao Airfield) near Hangchou (Hangzhou) and nine under the command of Lieutenant Commander Asano to attack the Kwang-teh Airfield. The Japanese planes took off from Matsuyama Airfield in Taipei at 14:50 (local Japanese time), each carrying two 250kg bombs.

The raid was soon spotted by the Chinese and the Chinese intelligence reported that a number of Japanese bombers had taken-off from an airfield Taiwan, crossed the Formosa Strait and were heading north over Chekiang in the direction of Hangchou. At this time, Hangchou was only defended by a handful of Hawk IIIs flown by instructors from the Central Chinese Aviation Academy since reinforcements from Chou Chia-Kou hadn't been able to fly in due to bad weather. Colonel Kao had previously flown from Nanchang to Schien Chiao to await the 4th PG's Hawk III's, which were flying in from Chou Chia-Kou in the Honan Province and which was under his command. The three squadrons of the 4th PG encountered heavy weather en route, with heavy rain and low visibility.

However barely had the warning been received when a number of Hawk IIIs from the 21st and 23rd Squadrons of the 4th PG landed. The newly arrived fighters were hurriedly re-fuelled but this was far from complete when the air alarm started due to the arrival of Lieutenant Commander Nitta's bombers. Colonel Kao rushed to his aircraft no. IV-1, which had just been landed by Captain Mao Ying-Chu. Ordering Mao to go get another aircraft, Kao jumped into IV-1 and, without waiting to be refueled, took off immediately. He joined up with Lieutenant Tan Won who had just spotted Nitta's flight (No.1 Shotai) of 3 G3Ms.

The Japanese came in at the low "attack" altitude of 500m, which made it easier for the Chinese to intercept them right after the take-off. The Japanese dropped their bombs on the airfield doing little damage. Tan opened fire on the No.3 G3M in Nitta's Shotai. However, the much more experienced Kao noted that Tan had opened fire from out of effective range. Kao then bore in himself and closed in also on the No.3 Japanese aircraft. He first silenced the two Japanese gunners and then closed in to 20m(!) firing steadily at the left engine. The wing tanks on the left wing caught fire and the G3M crashed burning near the town of Ban Shan near the airfield.

Kao then spotted the 3rd Shotai and attacked the No. 2 aircraft between Schien Chiao and Chien Tang River. Again, Kao bore in to close range firing at the fuselage and the left wing on the G3M, putting the left engine out of action. Kao’s engine was then hit by return fire forcing him to return to Schien Chiao.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 10-11-2017 at 12:55.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nicely done. Good to see some WWII action.

Nice AAR planes and map.

Nifty scenario/campaign Neil. Nice to see early Asian action. I definitely will be watching this.

I haven't yet had time to read Carl's campaign rules but have enjoyed reading many of his posted battles. I'll have to find his rules and check them out as I'd like to start a campaign of my own.

Really liking Carl's Polish campaign, and now a new one to follow.
    It is really interesting to see the different aircraft in action - you must have quite a varied collection, Neil.

This is similar to what I was thinking of doing with World War One when we discussed where to go next.
    I think I will do something after the Bitter End finishes next year.

I have an interest, obviously, in the ealy Pacific War era and after reading a few books on the Sino-Japanese War decided to extend my PTO aircraft collection earlier instead of towards the later years. I have enough aircraft to cover 1938-1943. Unfortunately for me the 1 aircraft model I would love to have is the AN4, which was the mainstay early Japanese fighter in the SIno-Japanese War. I have looked extensively and no manufacturer makes one....yet. I am also having to use the Heinkel III-B as the Heinkel III-A and the later variant G3M2 as the early version. Other than that I'm happy with what I have to get the campaign going.

The mat is a 4x3' mat produce on banner material from a local printers that I had done from a satellite pic of China.

A most interesting diversion from the mainstream of the game Neil.
    I enjoyed the scenario very much and look forward to reading more of your AAR's in the future.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great little fight Neil, and a good start for your CAF pilots. I look forward to Mission 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    ... Unfortunately for me the 1 aircraft model I would love to have is the AN4, which was the mainstay early Japanese fighter in the SIno-Japanese War. ...
    Nice one Neil, that's a good opener for your campaign.
    Have a word with our Shapeways designers - someone might be willing to knock one up for you.

"He is wise who watches"

Having re-read the start of Hakan's book I only have 2 weeks to wait until the A5M is available so for now I can do without.

Just saw this and great report. Gives me an idea on how to use my Nells.

Similar Missions

1. WGSG Rising Sun, Falling Skies
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2016, 09:50
  2. Game three Guns of August BOB
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 12:01
  3. Game one Guns of August 2013!
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 17:10
  4. AAR from Guns of August Game 2: The Japanese Player Perspective
    By ptownhiker in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 10:19
  5. California Feb 22 - Take to the skies over Game Empire Pasadena.
    By Von Hinnebusch in forum US Wing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 15:03