Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vapnartak: York: Feb 2018

Default Vapnartak: York: Feb 2018

Just a heads up that we have the possibility (Strangely Brown to confirm) of having our usual 2 tables and usual spot at Vapnartak.

Please put in your diaries and come along if you are able.

Vapnartak
    York Race Course

Sunday 4th February 2018

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Noted Neil. Thanks.
    Can you stick it in the Drome calendar for next year please.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'm there - probably the night before for a tour of some of York's many 'cultural' buildings (especially the ones where they refuse to let me pay for my beer...)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Might see whether I can fit Drop Tanks to the car for this one.................I'll look into it.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Might see whether I can fit Drop Tanks to the car for this one.................I'll look into it.
    Its a good show Tim. and York is amazing - make a weekend of it

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Its a good show Tim. and York is amazing - make a weekend of it
    I've done the show twice before (once with the 'Drome, once as a punter) and I know York from half a dozen Viking Re-enactment weekends over the years.

A stooge around some of the better Hostelries would be a considerable "plus point"!

Long drag up the motorways from Devon but I love the area, so will think hard on this one Perhaps combined with a few days in York.

That's what Mrs K and I did last year Mike.

Rob.

Now in the forum calendar.

Enjoyed myself there last year, so I'm up for it, especially if another 'cultural tour' is involved.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Sorry Neil,

I've been asked to run a demo game at the Plymouth show on 3rd and 4th February 2018. Given the distances involved and that Plymouth is home territory for me, there wasn't much of a choice I'm afraid. It hasn't been confirmed yet (this is through the Exmouth group - same guys that run Exeter Legionary) but it looks very likely.

In the event I cannot make it to York, have a great time and I'll look forward to the pics,

Cheers for now,

Mike

NP Mike but look forward to meeting up at 1 of the shows next year. Somewhere.

Neil

A quick update.

Place confirmed. No 60 on venue map. 3rd level on the right...usual spot.

I take it that Simon will be running the famous Battlee of Britain . (TBC)

WW1 table concentrating on the Red Barons historical demise. A flight of Giants mission and possibly a Zeppelin or 2.

Hotel booked!

Edit: Beachhead at Bournemouth the weekend after - just made myself Mr Popular
    Last edited by Guntruck; 01-02-2018 at 12:02.

Can anybody bring Richtofen alternative aircraft? (I have the tripe and Albatros)

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Can anybody bring Richtofen alternative aircraft? (I have the tripe and Albatros)
    Hi Neil
    I have a LFG Roland C.II two seater Richthofen which I can bring if you want it.
    Reg

I have both of the Albatross both Tropes and the Roland

How early do you want to go? He used a Fokker E.III and I can rustle up one of those.

I will secure the LZs for 0830z.

Operations will start from 1000z.

Looking forward to see you all there.

SB

I will be there at a similar time. Is sir bringing the air raid siren?

A week to go - really excited. York is always a good show, but most excited about seeing the troops again...

Have fun guys Sad not to be joining you, but looking forward just as much to our west country bash in Plymouth.

I also will be with you in spirit, and should be with you again next year.
    Rob.

Apologies for not replying sooner. EIII would be grand. We can rustle up some support and protagonists and fly all through Richthofens career until his demise in a tripe. I will be bringing:

Game: Flight of Giants - 2 0/400's (could anyone bring a third?) v German 2 seaters and DVII's. Balloons and AA guns.

Game: Flight of Giants - 1 Zeppelin and 1 Staaken. (Could someone provide a plethora of allied 2 seaters please).

Game: Red Barons Career - 4 Tripes from pic of last flight of the red baron, loads of Camels.

I'm bringing 4 mats could someone bring 2 more please.

Looking forward to catching up with you all at York.

Cheers for organising the slot again Simon.

Neil

Just sorry I can't be with you this year Neil.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Apologies for not replying sooner. EIII would be grand. We can rustle up some support and protagonists and fly all through Richthofens career until his demise in a tripe. I will be bringing:

Game: Flight of Giants - 2 0/400's (could anyone bring a third?) v German 2 seaters and DVII's. Balloons and AA guns.

Game: Flight of Giants - 1 Zeppelin and 1 Staaken. (Could someone provide a plethora of allied 2 seaters please).

Game: Red Barons Career - 4 Tripes from pic of last flight of the red baron, loads of Camels.

I'm bringing 4 mats could someone bring 2 more please.

Looking forward to catching up with you all at York.

Cheers for organising the slot again Simon.

Neil
    Hi Neil
    I can bring the 0/400 as I have 2 x RAF and 1 x RNAS types. which type do you want? Or I could bring all three?
    I suspect that somebody else (Chris) is bringing the Roland but let me know if you need mine.
    Reg

I can bring my 3 Bristol’s and 2-seater Strutters, and the E.III.

Any particular mats?

I cannot be with you but best wishes for an exciting day's flying and I hope that you attract some new recruits.

Have fun guys, sorry cant be there

Last-minute work interference finally overcome; I'll be there.

Just sorting a hotel now.

Awesome, I wondered who I was going to spend all day trying to shoot down.
    Also your bag is very lonely and wants to go home !!

Good news!

Good luck chaps, have a great day & spoil us with photos

"He is wise who watches"

Will even try and remember my camera this time...

Ace McBell

Great that you guys will be there. I am planning to head down so will drop by the table.

Steve, REg et al bring whatever you can. Brains a bit befuddled so organising things aint going well. Will try and be there for 9 latest. Adrian we are up not down as we're on the 3rd mezzanine level. Have a good trip 'down' from Durham. Apologies for the lame joke. Best I can do at present.

N

I will be there by 08:30

I will attempt to be there by 08.30 also.

I will try to be there for 08:30, but will probably fail.

That's just how this year is going so far.

Probably make it for around 09:30

8.30 it is then.

Right then everything ready by the front door, polo shirt washed and ironed, wallet bulging (I wish, lol) see you guys in the morning....

Well, that’s another show over. Thanks to those that came and helped with the WGF and WGS tables; our reputation goes from strength to strength! I thought the show was a bit quieter than usual, both with punters and traders; there was a definite drought of Wings and Sails (although this may have been down to Hedeby’s early doors perusal of the stalls...)

I’m sure that the WGF will file their reports later, but here is a summary of the WGS action:

Sortie 1: Early Eagles

Maverick and I carried out a first light sweep of the English coast with two 109s a piece, hoping to draw the young RAF boys out of their beds. Sure enough, it wasn’t long before 3 eager Spitfires were heading our way. Maverick headed east whilst I hooked left, to split the RAF up.

Eager to see action, one of the Spits turned and headed straight for Maverick. A brief exchange of fire, with the pilot wounded, his craft on fire and 22 points, the RAF lost their first man of the day. Lesson 1: Don’t go head to head with two 109s by yourself!

The other two Spitfires soon had me engaged, with some tit-for-tat shooting and we began to turn for the others tail.

The RAF managed to get another crate up to intercept Maverick, but, having failed to learn the lesson of his countryman, he headed straight towards the cannons with inevitable results: shredded by co-ordinated fire, he hit the silk. Lesson 2: Don’t go head to head with two 109s by yourself!!

Over on the other side of the battle, One of my pilots had been wounded by accurate fire, and with fuel running low, I turned for home, my wingman providing cover. My opponents gave chase, landing a few more rounds on my aircraft, before they too bugged out and turned for home as Maverick swung round to lend his potential firepower to the mix.

Score: Luftwaffe 2 RAF 0.5

Name:  505E6BCF-0C5E-4B6F-A147-178C2CDB1647.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  213.0 KB
    Last edited by Strangely Brown; 02-04-2018 at 10:47.

Thank you once again for upholding the honour of the Drome at this important Northern event Simon.
    Just sorry I was unable to be there this year. Hopefully next year will give me the chance to make up for it.
    Rob.

Sortie 2: Down in the (Bomb) Dumps

A solo mission by myself to pop over the Channel, have a look-see around the RAF air station and maybe drop the odd incendiary round into their bomb dump... simple.

In theory, yes. In practice, not so much.

As I neared the coast, the RAF put up a single fighter. A Spitfire against my 110, I wasn’t too worried. That was until I saw a pair of Spits returning to their base. With the odds firmly in their favour, I called in support from F.a.D. who was in the sector in her 109.

It wasn’t long before, with all guns blazing in a furball, myself and one of the Spits were ablaze. Further blows were traded, as the flames licked about both our crafts. Mine succumbed first and I piled into a Kentish field. Two turns later the Spitfire pilot managed to douse his flames, but only with the dudicious use of the waters in the channel. Luckily, he only had a short paddle back to Blighty.

Again, the inexperienced RAF pilots decided it was time to leave. F.a.D. swung about and headed back to France...

Score: Luftwaffe 1 RAF 1

Name:  88A5604C-4629-4B70-B4B5-7426FB301D57.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  255.6 KB
    Last edited by Strangely Brown; 02-04-2018 at 10:51.

Great AARs, Simon.
    Love the scenery you guys used.

Sortie 3: Upping the Ante

With warning from the local Hone Chain, I managed to get the Red Section of Hurricanes up to greet Maverick and F.a.D., who were piloting their 218’s*, intent on causing mischief.

As we levelled out, F.a.D. leapt forward, ignoring her partner’s calls to conserve fuel! They both seemed intent on dealing with me swiftly, but then F.a.D. swung to port to engage another pair of Hurries which we had managed to get up.

Name:  E4CA6232-39BC-4DEE-9043-178A640626F4.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  270.1 KB

Name:  E8944A5D-8527-49D8-9FBD-28BFEC48EE7D.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  269.1 KB

Still confident from his earlier victories, Maverick focused on my easternmost fighter and let rip as soon as he was within range.

Name:  2495370F-D791-48D0-A9CD-BBF8C7ED162F.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  235.7 KB

The rounds struck the fighter, sparks flying everywhere and the Spitfire faltered. It seemed as if his luck was in for a third kill. But no, shaken but not holed, the Spit weathered the storm without a scratch! Unbelievably, a miscalculation in range had let the Spitfire off from an almost certain engine damage, wounded pilot and lots of damage (redrawing 4 C’s and 2 A’s for 2 C’s). Lesson 3: Just because it looks short range doesn’t necessarily mean it is. Phew! “Back from the Dead!”

With this, the Spits returned fire, managing to damage one of the 109s with concentrated fire.

Both sides then scrambled to turn about and get another bead on their foe. The 109s performed a synchronised Immelmann whilst the RAF performed a twin loop and reversal (which would sow the seeds for a future aerobatics team) and closed again.

This time, the 109s fire was far more accurate, with a Spitfire being shredded at close range, but not before he managed to lend his guns to the weight of fire, which managed to fell one of the proud Eagles.

The remaining pair from Red Section pulled hard to starboard, hoping to close on the lone 109, but realising that the odds were no longer in his favour, Maverick extended his gap and withdrew back across the water.

Realising that a chase would be futile, Red Section continued west to join up with the twin Hurricanes of Yellow Section, who had been busily engaging F.a.D.’s 109s in a twisting battle of their own

Name:  BD84218C-665D-470E-BC6F-92ED4BEA2E8D.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  252.6 KB

Having closed to lethal range, the 109s and Spitfires sought to gain an advantage over each other, but only managed to trade passing shots.

Name:  F0CA0964-57E9-47B4-A0D4-F2212BD8AC8C.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  265.1 KB

However, hits during these jousts were taking their toll, and the Spitfires eventually managed to get on the tail of one of the 109s. Continuous fire soon added up and as the 109 looped back, it was brought down by combined fire.

Name:  7AEE4256-2A92-434A-A2F4-D0D79F652B0F.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  175.0 KB

The remaining craft broke from combat and headed home, as fuel was getting low...

Score: Luftwaffe 1 RAF 2

*2 x 109

More great action.
    I am liking the pegs you are using - didn't notice in the earlier posts.

Can you tell me what they are made from?

Thanks for the fast update Simon - a stirling job with the Battle of Britain, as always. The show was very busy for the first couple of hours although it did quieten down later on. Thought I was at Wolverhamption when we were all evactuated midway through proceedings, then again an hour later. Now thats a first two evacuations on the same day. It was a day for the bombers on the WW1 table, starting off with 6 Handley Pages against one of Tim's excellent D.VII Jastas, not a good scrap for the scouts. However Tim did great work marshalling the usual Wings of Glory Creche until they departed. A resounding win for the bombers (AAR and photos to follow when I have more time). Second up was the reverse fixture, 3 Staakens against 5 Bristols - bit of a mismatch and the Bristols got slaughtered.
    Thanks to the two Simons and Mrs. Strangely Brown) for the great work on the BoB table, and a big call out to Neil, Tim and Reg for the work on the WW1 table.

I used plastic tubing (from Greenscale) in 5” lengths, offset 50%.

Outer is 5/16” and the inner 3/16”.

They are the mk.V and I’m due to start work on the mk.VI; I’ll post a “how to” once I’ve got them perfected.

Thanks for the comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WMMS 2018 ..yes 2018 !!
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2018, 12:00
  2. National 7th February: Vapnartak, York.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 02-15-2016, 02:01
  3. Vapnartak '16
    By Strangely Brown in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2016, 08:41
  4. National VAPNARTAK
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 13:04
  5. Re: Vapnartak at York.