Ares Games

Thread: Exeter Legionary - 12th May 2018

Default Exeter Legionary - 12th May 2018

Just a preliminary shout. We have two tables (WW1 Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory) at the above show next May, so perhaps one for your diary.
    Its a one day event on Saturday 12th May 2018. Held at the Matford Centre on the outskirts of Exeter, Matford Park Road, Marsh Barton Trading estate, Exeter EX2 8FD. Entry £4.00.
    We only have two free entries per table I'm afraid and they are spoken for already, sorry
    I'll post more nearer the time. If you can make it, let me know, just so I have an idea of numbers. Thanks
    Mike

First time I've done this, so I would welcome any comments about ommissions etc - I've put the event on the Calendar with the following comments - hope that's right -
    "A one day, large, wargaming event, that has been going for some years now and is getting larger each year. Organized and run by Exmouth Imperial Wargamers, who do an excellent job.
    We have two tables for 2018. WW1 Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory. Entry is £4.00 and the event takes place at the Matford Centre on Marsh Barton Trading Estate, on the outskirts of Exeter. Access by car is relatively straightforward and there is a Park and Ride bus service to the centre for those who want to look around this lovely historic Cathedral City. Accommodation is plentiful but not necessarily on the door step. The nearest is The Devon Motel, although it is perhaps a little on the pricey side!
    Contact MikeeMagnus on the UK sub forum if you are interested."
    Cheers
    Mike

Looks fine to me Mike - you could link the show page http://legionaryshow.co.uk/ is all.
    I will look at the possibilities nearer the time, my daughter lives about half way there but still a couple of hours run.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave Yep I'll put out another reminder much nearer the time.
    Cheers

I will be there but I usually put on a participation game on myself (not Wings of Glory) so good luck, see you there.

Maverick has it in his diary

shifts permitting i will be there...

playing taxi driver..or is that Chauffeur to Boney 10...

Regards

Mav / Ensign Patch / Simon

Cheers guys, look forward to seeing you there

Just as an advanced check - I shall have local support for the Wings table (he says confidently). Am I right in assuming Simon (Maverick/Ensign Patch) and Chris (Boney 10) are likely to be running the Sails table?

Default Its scheduled in the ships log for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Just as an advanced check - I shall have local support for the Wings table (he says confidently). Am I right in assuming Simon (Maverick/Ensign Patch) and Chris (Boney 10) are likely to be running the Sails table?
    Hi Mike
    As far as i am aware this is acknowledged ~ Aye Aye sir!

Regards
    Ensign Patch...

May 12th oooh could be a possibility for me and my good wife ( she can visit fiends and relatives while I play!!)

Brittany ferries should have a boat on that week end.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Now that would be great Paul. Really hope you can make it A beer or two would definitely be in order; or do you drink le vin rouge mon ami?

Cheers Simon,

One of these days I really am going to have a go with the Sails - Sorry Tim Got me a reasonable fleet now and it is growing (Is that the grinding of teeth I hear?)

Now that would be great Paul. Really hope you can make it A beer or two would definitely be in order; or do you drink le vin rouge mon ami?
    While red wine is my favourite when in Rome as they say. A pint of Doombar is more than acceptable
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 12-19-2017 at 08:03.

A pint of Doombar is more than acceptable
    One of my favourites You're on!

Still lining up for this one Mike - may be more complex than I initially thought (bloody kids) but if all goes to plan ... If I make it what would you like me to bring ? I have a pair of Ballons and I could exercise 95 Sqn before their tour in the US.. have a think, let me know.
    Last edited by flash; 04-25-2018 at 00:11.

"He is wise who watches"

OK, nearly there. Just over a week to go now. Everything was discussed at the club night, last night, and all looks good to go. Looking forward to a local gig

Hopefully, those making the trip down to Devon have all the info they need already, but let me know if not.

Chau for now,

Mike

Just need to know what you would like me to bring, Mike!

Friday booked off work, hotel booked, planes sorted (no, strike that last!)
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

What periods are we looking at doing Mike ? Might bring my old favourites

"He is wise who watches"

Tim, if you are happy to bring your entire collection, I for one would be delighted To see your Jastas on display and the airfields etc, would be a real delight. I'm happy to provide everything needed in the event this is not to your liking, but I'll just cry, ok Whatever happens, as a back up plan, I'll have all I need in the boot of my car - after what happened at WMMS I would be stupid not to! Who knows, snow in May? Not unheard of.

Dave, I'm only looking to put on WW1 participation games. I don't have the experience, yet, to extend into WW2. Re the WW1 - I think it best to keep things simple. Along the same lines as at Beachhead. That worked really well for the punters and I'm happy to be blown out of the sky on multiple occassions - of course I am

There will be a Sails of Glory table present too. Simon and Chris are putting that on, so they will need to have support breaks. I've got that covered! OK Tim, it isn't you, promise

Timing - the usual, but I shall be there from 7.00 / 7.30 as, being a member of Exmouth Imperial Wargamers, I need to do my bit to help the traders set up first.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 05-04-2018 at 03:49.

I took it that it would be WW1 Mike, I was querying which period of WW1 !
    I will bring my captured lovelies as usual and happy to assist with whatever method we employ - I won't be there until nine at the earliest I should think as it will be a couple of hours from Poole.

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dave. See you when we see you. I'm hoping that there will be a trader there who might actually have some WW1 starter sets for sale. If that's the case, then we'll probably focus on DR1's and Camels or Spads and DVa's, at least for a time. Give the punters time to say "ooooh, I'd like one of those"! Simple dog fight set up around 1917/18. After that, the two seater chase we did at Beachhead, followed, if there's time, by a balloon bash. How does that sound?

Firepower Games

Some of you may remember me from my days trading as Stafford Games when we stocked a good range of Wings of Glory, well now my health is much improved i have started up in buiness again trading as Firepower Games.

The good news is that I have just opened an account with Asmodee the importers of Ares Games products and hope to have my first delivery of WWI Wings of Glory before Legionary!

The next show after Legionary will be UK Games Expo, by then I am hoping to have a full range of WWI Wings of Glory.

If there is enough demand I will also stock Sails of Glory and WWII Wings of Glory, please let me know if you think there is sufficient demand.

If you are at Legionary please pop over and say hello.

Roland

Firstly a huge welcome to you on behalf of the U.K. Wing Roland. I have several of your products gracing my Wargames collection. Please do also join us as a member on the Sails forum. I am sure that you will get a very warm reception from the bretheren, who were singing your praises at Hammerhead last weekend. You can then give them the good news yourself rather than my doing it second hand.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Firepower Games View Post
    Some of you may remember me from my days trading as Stafford Games when we stocked a good range of Wings of Glory, well now my health is much improved i have started up in buiness again trading as Firepower Games.

The good news is that I have just opened an account with Asmodee the importers of Ares Games products and hope to have my first delivery of WWI Wings of Glory before Legionary!

The next show after Legionary will be UK Games Expo, by then I am hoping to have a full range of WWI Wings of Glory.

If there is enough demand I will also stock Sails of Glory and WWII Wings of Glory, please let me know if you think there is sufficient demand.

If you are at Legionary please pop over and say hello.

Roland
    Hi Roland

Great to hear you're well, and back in the biz! At least half of my Gotha fleet came from Stafford Games, along with other bits and pieces.
    If you are trading at Legionary, it will be our pleasure to direct customers to your stand.
    Look forward to seeing you there!
    cheers
    Tim
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome Roland, you have been sorely missed !

"He is wise who watches"

Hello again Roland. Yes, I remember you from Plymouth and at least one other show this year, if not two. It is, of course, your good self I was referring to above. Great to hear you'll be at Legionary. Let's hope the goodies arrive in time. Looking forward to meeting up again.
    Meanwhile welcome to the Drome from Devon and the South West of England.

Roland ,Will you or do you do mail orders overseas to Europe ?

Firepower Games

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will check out the Sails forum but don't have any SoG on order yet because they don't seem to have the starter set in stock.

I will be chasing them next week to get my first order in before legionary but can't guarantee it.

tikkifriend I will be sorting out shipping to europe shortly but at the moment the web site is not set up to offer overseas postage.

If you want to place an order let me know what you want and I will let you know how much postage would be.

Looking forward to Legionary!

Quote Originally Posted by Firepower Games View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will check out the Sails forum but don't have any SoG on order yet because they don't seem to have the starter set in stock.

I will be chasing them next week to get my first order in before legionary but can't guarantee it.

tikkifriend I will be sorting out shipping to europe shortly but at the moment the web site is not set up to offer overseas postage.

If you want to place an order let me know what you want and I will let you know how much postage would be.

Looking forward to Legionary!

Good to see you back in the fray Roland, look forward to saying hello at a future show

Hi all,
    OK so Exeter Legionary is upon us But I have to start with a traffic warning - sorry. For those of you brave gentlefolk making the journey down on Friday or Saturday, be aware that a new Ikea store opened today right next to junction 30 of the M5. Ikea say they have their traffic management plans perfected, so there may not be a problem. But, since this will be their first weekend shopping opening time, I would advise you to avoid that junction if you can. The Matford business park area would probably be best accessed from junction 31 anyway, but those arriving via the A30 might travel via Rydon Lane - that too may present problems. Allow extra time please.
    Cheers
    Mike

Sorry not to be able to get there Mike but new grandson to see this weekend. Best of luck and look forward to seeing the photos.

Thanks for the heads up Mike - I can't see any access from J.31 so will probably try off the A30 at J.29 or go down the 38 to Telegraph Hill to turn round & get onto the A379.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Sorry not to be able to get there Mike but new grandson to see this weekend...
    You will be missed Paul, I was looking forward to meeting you at last - I'm seeing my new grandson next week !

"He is wise who watches"

new grandson to see this weekend
    Congratulations to you Paul and you Dave
    I'm seeing my new grandson next week !
    . Shall wet the babies heads in your absence Paul. Sorry not to be meeting you at last. Next time then
    There is access via junction 31 Dave, but its a bit of a round about way of getting there (A30 and A377, then via Sainsburys, then across the industrial estate). If you don't know the route, best use one that you do. Good luck.

Congratulations to you Paul and you Dave . Shall wet the babies heads in your absence Paul. Sorry not to be meeting you at last. Next time then
    There is access via junction 31 Dave, but its a bit of a round about way of getting there (A30 and A377, then via Sainsburys, then across the industrial estate). If you don't know the route, best use one that you do. Good luck.
    most certainly Mike , a pint of Doombar for me please.

Have a good one today chaps, and congrats to Paul and Dave.
    Rob.

Thanks Rob. New one is called Martin Jonathan Henri Johnson- Gomme . Had to have a first name that was usable in French and English, the rest of the names are great grandfathers from the each side of the family.

Nice relaxed show, thanks Mike & Tim for a boomtastic day, eh Mike ?!
    Good to see Don and Roland again, been a while.
    Smooth run back to the forward base, got in just before six, hope to hit Entoyment tomorrow. Will post some pics next week.

"He is wise who watches"

Excellent Dave, glad you made it to the forward base ok. Safe drive home (less the cost of a visit to Entoyment of course ) - My thanks to both Dave and Tim for making the long haul. Made it an excellent day out! Tim's collection / display accounted for many favourable comments. The recent Jasta repaints are even more awesome close up . The show wasn't the busiest I've attended but the Wings of Glory table was kept active by the punters for most of the day. And the three of us were involved pretty much the entire day.

Set up for three possible challenges - 1) A scout dogfight; 2) A two seater chase ; 3) A Balloon busting. Needless to say, the vast majority of the public wanted a dogfight, so that was kept pretty busy.

Name:  IMG_20180512_101254.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  243.7 KB
    To get things started, we played a quick scout v scout. Out came a captured Nieuport that immediately set a Camel ablaze. However, an "accidental" collision resulted in the German plane crashing out. The Camel survived the fire

Name:  IMG_20180512_101306.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  297.0 KB Name:  IMG_20180512_101811.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  263.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20180512_102016.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  212.4 KB Name:  IMG_20180512_102021.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  300.5 KB

Next up, some local guys took on one another, whilst Dave and Tim explained the fun side of taking down a two seater to a younger member of the public, with his dad. Young Richard (dark grey jumper on the right) got his first of three kills for the day. That led to him and his dad finding a whole bunch of WW2 Ares models for sale, which they purchased for fifty quid - nice one guys

Name:  IMG_20180512_110605.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  262.4 KB Name:  IMG_20180512_112717.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  260.8 KB

Then the youngest member of the group and dad joined the party. Dad was merciless and shot his son down. But revenge was satisfactory when dad was later also shot down. Both said they thoroughly enjoyed the experience and were pointed in the direction of Roland Hynd (Firepower Games) who had managed to get his stock on time and had some Wings products on sale (Whoooooopeeeee - hope you had a good day Roland and many thanks for being there).

Name:  IMG_20180512_113340.jpg
Size:  268.8 KB Name:  IMG_20180512_113952.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  283.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20180512_115154.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  251.3 KB Name:  IMG_20180512_120032.jpg
Size:  256.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20180512_120149.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  268.4 KB Name:  IMG_20180512_120158.jpg
Size:  292.1 KB

Honours in that game were pretty even and all the players, arriving as complete novices, left as well tuned in flyers.

Name:  IMG_20180512_140913.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  264.4 KB Name:  IMG_20180512_141025.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  250.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20180512_142119.jpg
Size:  253.9 KB Name:  IMG_20180512_142758.jpg
Size:  261.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20180512_143257.jpg
Size:  250.4 KB

Then to finish the day, Dave took on another couple of local lads (father and son) who had a successful experience, resulting in them buying a couple of models too.

Name:  IMG_20180512_154129.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  243.1 KB Name:  IMG_20180512_161224.jpg
Size:  295.1 KB

A good time had by all then Many thanks too to Forum member Brett Andrews (Brett1815) and the guys at the Exmouth Imperial Wargames group, who put on a great show. Thanks one and all!

Mike

Excellent day had by all from the looks of things. Good to see the tables were full of eager pilots and hopefully new drome members.

Well played lads.

Thanks for showing the flag Mike, and for the splendid pictures of the show. Tim will be mentioned in dispatches yet again for his unstinting support.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks for showing the flag Mike, and for the splendid pictures of the show. Tim will be mentioned in dispatches yet again for his unstinting support.
    Rob.
    And his restraint in not using Cylons to defeat the enemy

And his restraint in not using Cylons to defeat the enemy
    And for bringing along his wonderful collection of aircraft, aerodrome, Zeppelin etc etc etc - I threatened to nick some of it, but the Paddington Bear stare plus threats of extinction were sufficient to deter any attempts
    Dave too made a very long haul trek, so I'm truly grateful to both.

It looks like you all had a great time.

Early doors - Mike gets his togs on and Tim in setting up mode
    Name:  SAM_0172.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  194.7 KB

Well into it now, Mike giving some instruction to Richard - a quick study & decent pilot
    Name:  SAM_0173.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  216.1 KB

Mike & Tim in an afternoon session
    Name:  SAM_0179.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  203.3 KB

The grin says it all - Dispatched by his lad the Dad looks on at the flaming wreckage of his Camel.
    Name:  SAM_0189.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  207.2 KB Name:  SAM_0188.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  210.7 KB

Great fun had by all, Mike rammed me out of the sky in our head to head warm up & survived his fire damage.
    In our next meeting that afternoon he asked me to shuffle the deck but not give him a boom... well I got it half right !
    He picked up another in the game with Tim - spooky !

"He is wise who watches"

Well done all!

Wish we had action like that on our side of the globe/continent.

More interesting pictures to round off the show.
    Thanks Dave.
    Rob.

I was unable to join in as I was putting a game on a neighbouring table but it was a great looking table and was always busy whenever I got the opportunity to look across.
    Well done chaps.

Tally Ho
    Burt

Cheers Don - didn't realize you were there. Missed an opportunity to meet you then. Sorry about that. Next time then

Similar Missions

1. 1/200 Korean War F-51D 12th FBS
    By miscmini in forum Other Decals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2017, 16:52
  2. National Armouries 12th November 2016
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 11-13-2016, 04:01
  3. National Wings of Glory at Legionary, Exeter
    By Green Goblin in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 04:19
  4. Hammerhead 12th Feb
    By itchy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 14:22
  5. Wings of War - December 12th in Burbank, CA!!
    By DaveZee in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 22:48