Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory WW2 at Cancon 2018

Default Wings of Glory WW2 at Cancon 2018

Hello Australian Wing,

Having been granted leave (finally) for the end of January/start of February 2018 I am about to submit a proposal to run Wings of Glory WW2 at Cancon in 2018. I am proposing to run a Battle of Britain mini-campaign made up of linked missions. Players can fly as either RAF or Luftwaffe fighter pilots.

At this time I have to make a choice - run a Tournament game with an entry cost or a Participation game that is free.

If I run a Tournament for three days the cost will be $55 entry fee + $20 prize pool. The prize pool money will get each player an aircraft miniature and there will also be other miniatures to be won across the event that for some may exceed the entry cost.

If I run a Participation game the event is free, but I cannot offer any miniatures for sale and any prize support will be much reduced.

My questions to the Australian Wing members is would you prefer to play in a Tournament or a Participation game?

Hi Carl,

If I can get my card stamped to go I would like a Tournament game. I have not been in one of those before.

Smile

As I will be helping Zoe run the WW1 participation game I would prefer a WW2 one as well as I would be able to jump in when possible however others might prefer the Tourney option.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    As I will be helping Zoe run the WW1 participation game I would prefer a WW2 one as well as I would be able to jump in when possible however others might prefer the Tourney option.
    This is my conundrum. If I run a participation game people can come and go and it is cost effective. A tournament will give participants great rewards but is expensive and will exclude other activities.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    This is my conundrum. If I run a participation game people can come and go and it is cost effective. A tournament will give participants great rewards but is expensive and will exclude other activities.
    Yeah you would need a commitment from quite a number of players to make it worthwhile Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yeah you would need a commitment from quite a number of players to make it worthwhile Carl.
    I would set a limit of 24 players but you could run a decent tournament with half that number. I already have a number of Brisbane players who have indicated they would be prepared to travel to Canberra, so my only reservation is that a tournament could exclude people who can't afford the expense or who like yourself have commitments to other games over the weekend.

One option is I could run participation games on Friday and the tournament on Saturday and Sunday. That would also reduce the cost to $50+$20.

Can you do a hybrid Carl? perhaps a tournament with much lower cost/barrier to entry, and less prizes available? You've got my support whatever you do

Possibly even 2 tiers of buy in, a lower tier that has a starter set as a reward designed for players who haven't been in as long, and a higher cost tier for players who want the bigger prize pool? I have some ideas for prizes that would definitely attract some interest

The low cost one could be designed to benefit passers buy, as in, they are allowed to 'come in from the sun' in an advantageous position, and attack the 'regulars' who have paid the higher tier. They would win/lose based on total number of kills they make, which could be recorded with their phone numbers so they can leave whenever they need too (dive for the clouds!) At the end of the event, the new player with the highest kills wins a BOB starter set. You would end up with players returning to the stand to check their competitors tally's and go in for new attacks!

On the other side, so long as the 'regulars' who have paid the higher tier can evade that unexpected bandit on their tail, they will be supplied a constant sky full of green pilots to down thus increasing their scores

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Possibly even 2 tiers of buy in, a lower tier that has a starter set as a reward designed for players who haven't been in as long, and a higher cost tier for players who want the bigger prize pool? I have some ideas for prizes that would definitely attract some interest
    Glad to hear that Evan, without your support a tournament would not be possible.

I have been discussing the matter with players I know are attending Cancon and at the moment the idea of a Participation Game to promote Wings of Glory WW2 to as many people as possible seems to be the preference.

I'd love to be able to play in a 3 day tournament. But given family (and other commitments) I couldn't devote three days to Cancon.

In a few years I'd be up for it but now the Little Fish are just a tad too small to be able to play that long.

There is a poster contest for CanCon?

Would this work?

Link: OldGuy59's Recruiting Posters
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    There is a poster contest for CanCon?

Would this work?

Link: OldGuy59's Recruiting Posters
    Yes mate there is a poster comp. That is awesome work!

And... Ares has very kindly offered a pre-release copy of 3&3 - Tripods and Triplanes - for demo purposes at Cancon 2018.

Due to the main committee member in charge of deciding which of the many proposed participation games are to be accepted just having been released from hospital a few days ago, the timetable for sending acceptances is shot, but I'm assured that the WGF game is very likely to go ahead. Hopefully the WGS one will go through too.

Nothing posted on this for a month so is there going to be a WGS participation game then? Will those Martians be seen in both WGF and WGS??

Hello Canconers,

I bear bad news I'm afraid, I won't be able to make the convention this year due to work commitments. I have had my leave curtailed as I am required to run a rifle course up here in Brisbane from Monday 29th January. Commonwealth Games has meant all training for the service is being pushed through early, and I have been tapped on the shoulder. With all the gear I need to bring down for the event, commercial flights are not an option.

Apologies to those who were looking to hid WGS hard, I spent the last month exploring options to no avail.

Good luck to Zoe and all the players on the WGF table. Given it is the 100th anniversary of the last year of WW1 I am sure the game will attract much attention.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-02-2018 at 07:09.

So we will not be rifling through your WGS collection

Bad luck indeed. Maybe you could do Wintercon. I see you have a nice campaign designed too.

Hope all goes well with your rifle course.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    And... Ares has very kindly offered a pre-release copy of 3&3 - Tripods and Triplanes - for demo purposes at Cancon 2018.

Due to the main committee member in charge of deciding which of the many proposed participation games are to be accepted just having been released from hospital a few days ago, the timetable for sending acceptances is shot, but I'm assured that the WGF game is very likely to go ahead. Hopefully the WGS one will go through too.
    Good luck Zoe with WW1 games. Cant get there this year, but hope to see some great pictures of the games to start off what looks to be a great WOG year . cheers Stephen Napier [NWS: HISTORICAL GAMING IN PERTH 2018]

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: TsukinoCon - Febuary 2018 - Call for Wings of Glory Hosts
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2017, 11:44
  2. National: Wings of Glory / Wings of Past / Wings of Money
    By gratefulbob in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2017, 10:38
  3. National: Wings of Glory a Napoli - Wings of Glory in Neaples
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2016, 02:02
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory with the designer in Rome, 25th of September
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:45
  5. National: Wings of Glory e Sails of Glory a Roma, venerdì 25 settembre
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:23