Ares Games

Thread: Aerial Unit Organization in WW1?

Default Aerial Unit Organization in WW1?

I tried to do some reseach on internet, but I couldn't find answers. So, I'm asking you for help.

Basic unit in RFC was Squadron divided in three Flights, with senior unit being Wing, and then Brigade?

Basic unit in Armee de l'air was Escadrille. What were senior units? And did french escsdrille have sub-units?

Basic unit in Deutsche Luftstreitkräfte was Staffel, and senior was Geschwader? What was Staffel's sub-unit? Schwarm consisting of Kettes, or is it later terminology? And ehat was senior unit to Geschwader?

Thanks everybody!

Thumbs up

G'day my friend!
    You have the RAF certainly correct as Wing, Squadron & 3 flights. Not sure re Brigade & then Army group but I am sure some of our British chaps will respond.
    Cant help with the French but Germans had Jastas divided into Kettes. (no Schwarm--thats WW2) Above the Jastas were Jagdeschwaders consisting of a number of Jastas. An example was the famous "Richthofen's Circus" which was Jagdgeschwader Nr 1 comprising of J11, J10, J6 & J4 .

Hope that is of assistance.

There is some information on RFC organization on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...ure_and_growth

Here's a few notes on German and British organisation. Hope it's of use. This isn't my own work just something that I picked up on the internet many moons ago.

German
    14 aircraft to a Jasta.
    Commanding Officer, Second-in-Command and either four ketten of three aircraft each or three ketten of four aircraft. In practice most Jastas flew as half squadrons minimum, ideally the whole Jasta, not as individual ketten anyway. They were also far more likely to be understrength than allied units.

British
    12 aircraft to a Squadron.
    Three flights of four aircraft. Later becoming three flights of six aircraft, was the norm. The flight was the usual patrol size. Four or five aircraft actually airworthy is a reasonable norm.
    In 1918 squadrons were expanded to 24 aircraft (still three flights, but now of eight aircraft) where possible - this depended mainly on the type; almost all Camel squadrons went to 24, but no SE5a units did, due to engine shortages.
    An odd spare machine or two was surprisingly common, especially if the Commanding Officer was a regular flier, in which case he'd probably have his own aircraft. Many didn't though - in a lot of British squadrons the flight commanders lead in the air, with the Commanding Officer chiefly an administrator, who'd fly fairly rarely.

Thanks a lot, guys

A full-strength French Escadrille had 6 aeroplanes, originally. This changed after Verdun (they got bigger), eventually increasing to around 20 by war's end. I'll confirm numbers and when the change was made when I'm next by my library.

The French started with 6 as Chris said. In February of 1917 they increased to 10, then in June to 15.
    I know of no nomenclature for smaller sub-units within a French Escadrille.

This I found on The Aerodrome site, escadrille and groups.

On the 11th nov 1918
    the french aviation was made (in theory) of
    1 air division
    6 GC of 4 squadron of 18 spad fighter
    5 GB (day) each of 3 squadron of 15 Breguet 14b2
    4 squadron of protection of 15 caudron R11 A3 each

independant fighter unit
    7 GC for a total of 30 squadron of 18 fighter each
    12 army squadron of fighter each squadron consisted of 15 spad (and some time of of couple of extra obsrevation plane)

Night Bombing group
    3 of 3 squadron of 15 voisin
    1 GB of 3 squadron of 15 farman F50 (I doubt it)
    1 GB of 2 squadron of 10 caproni (some made by REP) each

148 observation squadron
    Heavy artillery squadron
    8 squadron of 10 Breguet 14, 2 of 10 salmson 2A2, 1 of spad A2 with 15 planes 11 of Br15 with 15 machine and 2 with 15 salmson

the army squadron
    40 squadron of 10 breguet
    48 squadron of 10 salmson
    29 suadron of spad 11 or 16 with 10 machines each
    2 squadron of 15 caudron R11
    5 of Voisin for nignt recco with a total of 75 planes (15 each)

Thanks! Very useful info!

Did French escadrille have any kind of sub-division, something similar to Squadron / Flight relation?

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    Thanks! Very useful info!

Did French escadrille have any kind of sub-division, something similar to Squadron / Flight relation?
    I have not seen anything suggesting this. I'm also very interested in this and hope some expert on French organization can fill us in.

Nellkyn & Teaticket: Do you have sources? (No, I'm not trying to question the veracity of the information: but now my curiosity is up, and I'm interested in doing more digging).

Similar Missions

1. Need help with RAF squadron/flight organization
    By horsepyre in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 10:47
  2. Scenario Organization question/suggestion
    By Omegalazarus in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 20:57
  3. K9 Unit
    By Dwarflord22 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11