Ares Games

Thread: Game Plus Products: Pluck Foam Tray?

Default Game Plus Products: Pluck Foam Tray?

Regards!

I’ve been thinking about buying these foam trays.

Name:  gps1022.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  32.9 KB

After scratching my head for a while thinking which ones are better (1.5”? 2”? 2.5”?), how many planes could I fit in them, I thought that someone here could help me

Do you have them? Are they any good?

Which size should I buy to storage WoG WW1 planes? 1.5”, 2” or 2.5”?

How many minis do fit per try?

Which is the best set up to storage the minis? I’ve come with two ideas so far. Reproduce the setup of WoG boxes: a plane with its base and maneuver card vertically placed in front of it (I guess I would need a 2” try for that). Then I thought a thinker try (2.5”) could work this way: a mini with its base and maneuver deck on top of it. Any thoughts?

Am I missing something else? Feel free to add any other info

Ezekiel, the foam trays you are considering are more sophisticated than what we use.
    We use various sorts of plastic storage boxes available from variety stores or hardware stores in our area. I have the simplest boxes. Each consists of 8 sections 7.5x7cm and 3 sections 10x7cm. I store the manoeuvre cards, bases and pegs in the large centre sections and the planes in the smaller outside sections. Two smaller planes - Spads, SE5as, Nieuports, Camels - fit in each section, and the sections are big enough for a De Havilland DH4.
    This may not help you with a decision about the foam tray, but I thought it might give you some alternatives.

You might have a look at KR Multicase for some ideas from their custom Wings of Glory trays.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    You might have a look at KR Multicase for some ideas from their custom Wings of Glory trays.
    Another vote for KR Multicases. Their website was a little bit difficult to fathom regarding which insert fitted in what case. They've recently had an upgrade and I've found it very easy to navigate now.
    https://www.krmulticase.com/wings-of-glory

I started with the Battle Foam because I use it for Star Wars: X-Wing. I really didn't like it for Wings of Glory. Too much foam needed trimming for me. I'm going to put them on Ebay. I ended up getting the ones in the store here. With a few exceptions they work really well. A couple of planes are tight, another is just a bit high and the wings rub against the tray above it. The big thing is the space. I keep one deck per plane so I'm okay but for those who don't that is a lot of extra space that might have been used for planes.

Those trays are very reasonably priced at miniaturemarket - I haven't ordered any of them but I would probably go with those if I didn't already have my system in place. I started tinkering with some ideas last night, and this is what I would do if I were using those trays:

The trays are 13" x 7.5", so there are 24 squares on the long edge and 13 squares on the short edge. Then there is another 1/2 inch of 'border' foam around those that is not cut.
    Here is a 24x13 grid of 1/2 inch squares representing the 'pluckable' area:

Name:  IMG_20170926_094803.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  109.8 KB

Below is the shape you pluck to store a single fighter aircraft. Arrange them nose to tail in a row, alternating the direction of each row so that the wingtips in the first row line up with tailplanes in the second row:

Name:  IMG_20170926_094811.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  177.9 KB

If you completely surround each plane with foam, you are going to waste a lot of space and it isn't necessary. The sections of pluck foam that remain are enough to hold each miniature in place.
    Here is the template - remove the red & blue squares (colored to show where each plane sits) and leave the white squares. Remember the template only shows the pluckable squares, the tray has a 1/2 inch border.
    If you maximize the space with this layout you can fit 17 planes in a tray:

Name:  IMG_20170926_100739.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20170926_101743.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  214.8 KB

This is the pattern I use in my own storage system, though I had to cut my own pluck foam. I started with a solid block of 2" thick foam like this:

Name:  IMG_20170926_102353.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  249.3 KB

I cut down the width to about 1.75" in order to fit two trays in the specific boxes I have. I think you could order either the 1.5" or 2" foam and it would work for single seaters. I would do 1.5" if vertical space is a consideration, otherwise do 2" for a little stiffer tray. In my trays I cut the bottom of the tray a little bit deeper so that the undercarriage sits down and the plane rests on the wings and fuselage rather than the wheels.
    I cut my own areas to pluck and they aren't based on 1/2 inch squares, but the idea is the same:

Name:  IMG_20170926_094603.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  237.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170926_101027.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  232.3 KB

1.75" thick foam is plenty for fighters, as you can see:

Name:  IMG_20170926_101144.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  181.4 KB

Two-seaters vary a little more in size than fighters, so the pattern is like one of these, depending on the mini. The Breguets are the largest two seater I have and they require a little larger wing space.

Name:  IMG_20170926_101453.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  174.8 KB

Here is my tray of two-seaters:

Name:  IMG_20170926_100823.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  244.9 KB

All of this of course assumes you are storing the decks separately. I like to maximize the storage space so the whole collection takes up as little space as possible.
    This two part box holds 56 fighters in the top compartment, and all the decks in the bottom compartment:

Name:  IMG_20170926_100947.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  167.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170926_100859.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  212.5 KB

I haven't figured out how many two-seaters will fit in the 7.5" x 13" tray, but you can follow the same pattern to maximize the space.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I guess I'll order a couple of those foam trays from Miniature Market and see how they work out for me.

I'm using the large pluck trays from Battle Foam. Most of my collection is WGS, with only about a dozen single seater WGF planes, but I have everything in 1" trays except for the B-17 and Lancaster bombers which are in 1.5" trays. Cards and bases are in a custom tray that I made out of foamboard, with the same foot print as the foam trays. I considered a system where I would have the decks and bases with the planes, but with a large number of planes it just becomes too inefficient in terms of space.

FYI - Brian's suggested layout won't work with the commercially available pluck trays, at least not without having to glue each of those little islands of foam to the base. Only the solid edges are glued down, the pluckable pieces in the center are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Never Miss View Post
    FYI - Brian's suggested layout won't work with the commercially available pluck trays, at least not without having to glue each of those little islands of foam to the base. Only the solid edges are glued down, the pluckable pieces in the center are not.
    HMM! Excellent point! Having never used the pre-cut foam I didn't consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I started with the Battle Foam because I use it for Star Wars: X-Wing. I really didn't like it for Wings of Glory. Too much foam needed trimming for me. I'm going to put them on Ebay. I ended up getting the ones in the store here. With a few exceptions they work really well. A couple of planes are tight, another is just a bit high and the wings rub against the tray above it. The big thing is the space. I keep one deck per plane so I'm okay but for those who don't that is a lot of extra space that might have been used for planes.

ive got a similar problem with a few planes (bregeut, dh4 etc) with kr multicase. i just flip em over and store them on their back so just the wheels are sticking up.

invigilator

Does anyone know if there are any plans to make more of the hanger trays sold in the Aerodrome store? Half my collection is already stored this way, and i need more trays for the other half but they've been out of stock for most of the summer.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

I have one pluck foam tray that I am using for a few planes. The main reason is , I purchased them from a couple of individuals who pitched the boxes instead of keeping them for storage.
    I stored my planes in their original boxes and can get from 50-60 in each Game Plus bag I have. I try to group planes from the same theatre of operation in the same bag, if there is room for them. Ex., WWII in the Pacific bag I have both Japan and US fighters and dive bombers, the big bombers are in a separate box. The British and the Germans each have their own cases. With the WWI planes in a case as well.
    Miniature Market has been running their Pink Game Plus bags for around $25 where the others are around $40. So if you don't mind carrying a pink bag with planes in it, it isn't a bad deal.

Similar Missions

1. National [SOLD] Figures in Comfort Pick and Pluck trays
    By NeilCFord in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 05:17
  2. Pick and Pluck foam trays for sale! Perfect for WoG!
    By Rat of Vengence in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-13-2015, 01:35
  3. battle foam pluck foam
    By Xen in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 01:02
  4. Pick and Pluck foam order?
    By Rat of Vengence in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 21:51
  5. Looking For Pluck Foam