Ares Games

Thread: Tank Farm 17

Default Tank Farm 17

Back from the tank farm and was a good day. Carl posted his great photos from Aus so here are a few from VA. I have to go slow with pics. it seems when I post some they don't show up so here are the first ones.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6801.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	233232

Name:	IMG_6802.jpg 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	233233

Universal Carrier/BREN gun carrier running around the track.

Name:	IMG_6875.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	233234

Name:	IMG_6876.jpg 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	233235

M3 STUART running around the track. Nice to see it out and about.

Name:	IMG_6846.jpg 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	233236

Walking around and saw this gentleman in a wheel chair chatting with these two guys. While he was in his chair they gave him an M1 to hold. He was in the 26th ID and I could only think of what was going through his mind holding that weapon and seeing those guys dressed like that. He got out of his chair and that's when I took this photo.
    There was another WWII vet we talked with. He was in the Air Corp and worked on P-47's. No special stories from either but a treat to see and just talk with them.

Darell there are more but want to take it slow. Last time I posted some photos they didn't show up.

Name:	IMG_6853.jpg 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	233237

Name:	IMG_6858.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	233238

Here is a Daimler Dingo running around the track. Forward and backwards. He didn't want to go through the mud. I don't know why but I have never taken a photo of the interior of this vehicle. Next year then.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great stuff, Bob! I think the Dingo is my favorite British scout car...although I do love me some Bren Gun Carrier... :-)

Looking forward to more pictures as you post them...

All the best,
    Matt

Good shots Bob. I just checked out the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles website and their collection looks impressive, particularly their US vehicles.

Looking forward to more photos.

Name:	IMG_6768.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	233247

USMC LAV25. The Gunny that was talking with people has 3 Purple Hearts and 17 years in. It was good to talk with him. A regular guy doing his job.

Name:	IMG_6823.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	233248

Name:	IMG_6828.jpg 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	233249

Once again the flame thrower demo team was there. I was a hundred or so feet away and could feel the heat. Later I talked with the guy who is working the flame thrower. I said that it was the usual military thinking that the smallest guy carries the heaviest weapon. He told me that they did that because the smallest guy gave the smallest profile so that is why.

Matt you will like this.
    I was at the USMC Museum tent and all of a sudden I hear Morse Code. So being a hog my head spins and finds the source of the code. The guy starts sending code and all I can do is translate what he is saying. They were amazed I knew code. Then he sends --.- - -.-. .. -- .. QTC IMI which means DO YOU HAVE TRAFFIC. Now they are really amazed I knew that. Well since I did that for 14 years and taught for 3 I guess I knew what it was. Turns out the one guy is a Master Gunny and the USMC equal of an O5H. I wondered if I may have been his instructor at Devens but he joined after I retired but it was something to meet him there.

Great pics, Bob.
    Love the Stuart and the SdKfz 251

Thanks for posting.

great pics, thanks for sharing!!!

Well I know this not plane stuff but in two weeks a WW I show and after than a static display here in MD. I just heard about a display in Manassas next week so I don't know if I will be at that one but if so you know there will be pictures.

Name:	IMG_6787.jpg 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	233257

How about the M-24 DUSTER. You can see the other one behind this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post

Name:	IMG_6775.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	233256

How is this one ?
    Love the Centurion - introduced into service in 1945 and still doing the business in some armies.

Smile

Thanks for the great pics Bob.

I too am having problems posting multiple pics for my OTT AAR at present!

Great photographs, Bob! It looks like you had a good time. Did they allow you to ride in any of those vehicles or even to drive one?

Cracking photos Bob - love the flamethrower !

"He is wise who watches"

Not like the Aussie tank museum. Here if you become a member they pick 20 people and they get a ride in the FV432. I had my ride one year.

Amazing how much ex British kit is still being supported / operated around the world

great pics

Thanks

Mav

Name:	IMG_6863.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	233385

Here is a photo of the mechanized unit that was there.

IS QTC IMI not traffic repeat?

Matt you will like this.
    I was at the USMC Museum tent and all of a sudden I hear Morse Code. So being a hog my head spins and finds the source of the code. The guy starts sending code and all I can do is translate what he is saying. They were amazed I knew code. Then he sends --.- - -.-. .. -- .. QTC IMI which means DO YOU HAVE TRAFFIC. Now they are really amazed I knew that. Well since I did that for 14 years and taught for 3 I guess I knew what it was. Turns out the one guy is a Master Gunny and the USMC equal of an O5H. I wondered if I may have been his instructor at Devens but he joined after I retired but it was something to meet him there.
    See you on the Dark Side......

No IMI makes it a question such as QSA IMI. How is my signal strength. The Q code QTC means I have traffic but with the IMI you are asking the question do you have traffic. If you want to repeat the message or just part of it you would say RPT ALL, RPT YR TFC, RPT W 10 (repeat 10th word) or something along those lines.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you got to 'wallow' with a fellow Hog, Bob - you seem to meet them all over the place! But like you said in another thread, you live in a part of the country where finding ex-diddy-boppers and other types is probably greater than my neck of the woods.

The Centurion looks spectacular, as does the Duster - thanks for sharing those pictures. Glad to see the re-enactors with the 251 have it done up as Wehrmacht rather than SS, for a change.

All the best,
    Matt

There must be soe differences between US and British military telegraphy procedures. Ours for signal strength would be QRK, what is the readability of my signal answer being 1 unreadable, 3 difficult or 5 ok. IMI is repeat transmission.

Neil

No IMI makes it a question such as QSA IMI. How is my signal strength. The Q code QTC means I have traffic but with the IMI you are asking the question do you have traffic. If you want to repeat the message or just part of it you would say RPT ALL, RPT YR TFC, RPT W 10 (repeat 10th word) or something along those lines.

Mmmm Tanks !!! love 'em thanks for the great pictures

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

As you said QRK is readability not signal strength. Signal strength (QSA) and readability (QRK) are different things. YR signal strength may be good but your readability might be bad due to QRM or QRN. If their signal strength is weak you will tell the other end to QRO--increase power. If your readability, QRK, is bad you will QSY, you change freq. These Q codes are international codes used by everyone. There are some codes that are unique to certain entities or others may be classified.
    Last edited by BobP; 09-25-2017 at 14:51.

Just checked and found this

the Q codes were originally used in Morse code transmissions to shorten lengthy phrases and were followed by a Morse code question mark (ˇˇ— —ˇˇ) if the phrase was a question.

Don't forget there are special characters for things. _._ _ . _ sounds like YA is ( and _ ._ _ . sounds like YE is ), that is open and closed paeans. Also AAA ._ ._ ._ is a period.
    _ . ._ _ which sounds like NW is a /. Also NW means NOW so depends where it is sent in the transmission. .
    Last edited by BobP; 09-25-2017 at 14:48.

Having been in the signals platoon for 20 of my 22 years regular service, a signals instructor for 18 of those 20 and a dab hand at TG procedure working on 19 and C13 sets initially then A13, PRC320 & 321 there are subtle differences in what I am used to and what you are saying. There is also a vast difference between ham radio and military. But that you know already. We predominantly used Q & Z codes with all the abbreviations for punctuations. BT either side of a letters message PT for numbers DE this is, CQ All stations. Never used NW though.

Neil My MOS was O5H, Morse Intercept Operator. 11 years sitting what we called a rack, 2 R390 radios and at first a MILL (typewriter) then a KSR ( keypunch keyboard) and later newer technology. 3 years a Morse Code instructor and last 3 years OPS SGT. I see you were in signals but note I was an Intercept Operator. Never intercepted HAM ops or friends. I remember hearing shipping nets that sent CQ CQ DX DE. For me BT was at the end of a message header before they sent their traffic. So we have a few things in common. Both military and guys who like to play with little toys.

Bob, thanks for sharing these pictures. Jodi and I didn't make it out there this year. Our friend Deb told us that some of the grass caught fire from the flamethrower, but perhaps she was exaggerating a bit.

It may have as it usually does but I didn't stay for the final demo. Will you be at the WWI show next month ? If so see you there.

We won't be at the WWI event in Virginia Beach. I am looking forward to see what the Williamsburg Muster date will be, and hope to get Warbirds back on our calendar.

Rich posted the Muster dates. They are 16-18 Feb at the old Holiday Inn. It is now a Clarion hotel so I guess they did some renovations. I have checked the Muster site but haven't seen anything yet. I am glad they moved it back there since I got familiar with the area and found the staff very nice. I did hear that the last two events lost money due to the dates and place they were held at.

Worked with a bunch of guys doing something similar in a distant land, they were funny lads. Had to have a special sense of humour for what thyey were doing.

Neil

Neil My MOS was O5H, Morse Intercept Operator. 11 years sitting what we called a rack, 2 R390 radios and at first a MILL (typewriter) then a KSR ( keypunch keyboard) and later newer technology. 3 years a Morse Code instructor and last 3 years OPS SGT. I see you were in signals but note I was an Intercept Operator. Never intercepted HAM ops or friends. I remember hearing shipping nets that sent CQ CQ DX DE. For me BT was at the end of a message header before they sent their traffic. So we have a few things in common. Both military and guys who like to play with little toys.

Similar Missions

1. Man forgot he bought a tank...
    By Foz in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-17-2015, 20:41
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-08-2014, 14:14
  3. Mephisto, the last German WWI tank
    By FrankJamison in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 00:22