Ares Games

Thread: Ship Target scales

Ericdagamer

Default Ship Target scales

All,

I'm need help deciding on a scale to make target cards of ships for missions. Do i go 1/200 or 1/144 depending on WW2 or WW1? Or do I go with a smaller scale?

Was looking at GHQ's ships but they are 1/2000 scale.......

Opinions?

Personally I think that something in a smaller scale makes it look as though the planes are higher up... especially if you use naval models on top of the cards. (Or instead of the cards)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I agree with Ken.
    Using thr GHQ ships would give it a more realistic look.

I was thinking about using my pre-existing collection of 1/1800 A&A:W@S minis for this role, but then I'd have to look up each ship's individual stats for AA loads and come up with realistic Damage Expectancies for each ship...

I'd expect that if you're a lone Helldiver trying to put one down Yamato's stack you're gonna be shrapnel, but if you have a bunch of buddies around you, another squadron or two and a swarm of fighter-bomber Hellcats/Corsairs approaching from another direction and several groups of Avengers skimming the waves for torp strikes, your individual odds of survival go WAY up as the flakmonkeys* get overwhelmed by sheer number of targets...
    *Personal terms for all AA troops regardless of what uniform they wear

Hi Eric - I'd say go smaller too - 1/600 or 1/400 maybe if you wanted something with presence but not overpowering. Might be worth sketching out some hull shapes to get a feel for how they would look on your table.

"He is wise who watches"

Ericdagamer

CappyTom & other fine gents!

Got most of that stuff and that's what got me thinking about other things. Unfortunately, me and my fellow gamers around here are mil-brats, mil-vets, engineers, and generally people too damn smart and imaginative for our own good and we like to err on the side of realism. Hence the scale issues. We want something 3-D to play with so we have to figure out where we stop being super picky and start making stuff.....

I'll post both a thread and files of what we come up with.

Looks like you have a trade-off decision to make...actual scale would give you some BIG ships...which would require a large space to play...also, the planes will move much faster vis-a-vis the ships...it would almost be like the ship is "parked" and you all come in and try to damae/sink it...then you throw in the realism stuff you mentioned...I don't know, sounds like I'd like to see some mock-ups.

Ericdagamer

Hey all,

After deliberation and some internet searching, looks like I'm going to go for 1/700 scale. I saw that this is also a popular scale for some waterline build WW2 ship/sub kits out there.

At this scale the Iowa is about 15.2 inches long and a Type VIIC U-Boat is 3.7 inches long.

Should make for interesting combats.

Me & my wing mates here at the shop will be hashing out house rules for combat soon enough.

will keep you all appraised!

Sounds interesting. So is this going to be a WWII game? Looking forward to see some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericdagamer View Post
    Hey all,

After deliberation and some internet searching, looks like I'm going to go for 1/700 scale. I saw that this is also a popular scale for some waterline build WW2 ship/sub kits out there.

At this scale the Iowa is about 15.2 inches long and a Type VIIC U-Boat is 3.7 inches long.

Should make for interesting combats.

Me & my wing mates here at the shop will be hashing out house rules for combat soon enough.

will keep you all appraised!

I have gone for 1/600 scale ships. The small ships such as MTB's landing craft are big enough to see what armament they have, there a pleanty of different models out there and they don't overwhelm the aircraft models. The last game we had was a Fairmile B rescue launch and a Fairmile C MGB rescuing down airmen being attacked by 2 x ME109In the end it was a British victory as they rescured the downed airmen, but both launches were dammaged by cannon fire as were the ME109's 1 of which was shot down when it recived a full blast of fire from the Fairmile C MGB. Great game.

Similar Missions

1. Top Down Ship art
    By Charlie3 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 00:53
  2. Target: Observer Balloon!
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2010, 17:24
  3. 3D balloon bases and target cards
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4