Ares Games

Thread: Will there be a new WWI starter set?

Default Will there be a new WWI starter set?

The word I got from GenCon is the WW2 RAP is now obsolete, replaced by the new BoB Starter Set. Will we see the same thing for WWI?

I doubt it. There were not really any 'Great Air Battles' from W.W.1 that could be a theme for a boxset.

There might be a starter set for the 'Triplanes and Tripods' sci-fi development containing some W.W.1 planes.

You could look for the Duel Packs. Those are the WWI Starter Sets. Two planes, reasonably matched, with the basic and standard rules, and enought bits for a duel between the two planes (one 'A' damage deck). Anything beyond that, and you need the RAP. Two-seater rules, multi-engine rules, ace skills, all come in the RAP.

It would be nice to have Duel Packs for WWII, with two planes, but they'd have to pick planes that only needed one set of damage chits, and the BoB planes would need three (A, B, and C for the Spitfire and the Bf-109).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    You could look for the Duel Packs. Those are the WWI Starter Sets. Two planes, reasonably matched, with the basic and standard rules, and enought bits for a duel between the two planes (one 'A' damage deck). Anything beyond that, and you need the RAP. Two-seater rules, multi-engine rules, ace skills, all come in the RAP.

It would be nice to have Duel Packs for WWII, with two planes, but they'd have to pick planes that only needed one set of damage chits, and the BoB planes would need three (A, B, and C for the Spitfire and the Bf-109).
    Thanks, Mike, I already have both duel packs and the RAP. My question was more along the lines of wondering where Ares is going with obsoleting RAP's.

I could see it happening if Ares released something along the lines of a deluxe set that Nexus did for WW1 but if I recall correctly they said that won't happen because they went the duel set / RAP route. A deluxe set with new releases in and an updated ruleset might go down well with players and newbs as well.

"He is wise who watches"

Building a new WWI box set around a Offensive could work (Somme, ect) Place all the planes from the same timeline rather then the smattering of early stuff with a lot of late or end war airframes. Pick a earlier offensive say late 16, early 17 with the proper early/mid war airframes (Be2's, DH2's, Vickers Gun busses, or other early/mid war aircraft). Use generic squadron aircraft rather then aces maybe with a decal sheet. Add in plastic MG and AAA pieces for uniqueness. Give a scenerio book with different Photo recon and ground attack missions and maybe even a airbase raid mission. Unique airframes would be a major selling point as would be plastic pieces for our maps. Building it around a offensive with missions assigned point values so we can score our successes or build up a campaign would also work well.

All in all, 4 generic airframes, maneuver decks and cards, say a dozen or so different variations of the planes so you can add more then one set without having the same planes. Plastic target counters (Sandbagged MG nest, arty piece, truck, hanger) Damage decks for MG, arty, and the aircraft, counters, rulers (same die cut sheet we already get) I.E. the starting kit we get now with a few extras making it a play out of the box game (MUCH more sellable then the current box set). This is something a hobby store would likely pick up for their shelves. Setting it to a time frame with proper planes and missions could also give it a correct feel (and set up sales for a set of maps of the actual area). Get back to the same deal as the original WoW box sets. A complete game you can play out of the box and expand upon. Biggest issue would be it HAS to be on the shelves at ALL times. No one off runs with long waits between reprints, that is what kills games or slows down growth potential.

Not sure but how does the BoB starter make the RAP obsolete ? Same rules and accessories. From what I see the BoB set made it more of a complete game with the addition of the minis so you can play with the minis rather then the cards.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shadowcat again.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record on the starter kit but we REALLY need a all in one box game. As it is now hobby stores who dip their toes in are going to get stuck with something they can not sell because it is incomplete. The two plane starters are hit or miss with avalibility and the core box does not properly get the point accross it is not playable out of the box but just a supliment.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Not sure but how does the BoB starter make the RAP obsolete ? Same rules and accessories. From what I see the BoB set made it more of a complete game with the addition of the minis so you can play with the minis rather then the cards.
    There are some minor changes to fire rules in the BoB set I seem to remember reading about recently - so the BoB rules, as the latest iteration, will be regarded as the current rules for WGS.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ight-maneuvers

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    I believe that the RAP is not so much obsolete as no longer available and it looks unlikely at the moment that Ares will be reprinting (albeit with the current rulebook) as they have the BoB starter set. Essentially an RAP and two aircraft with two more aircraft for free (Depending on local pricing). For someone coming new into the WGS game this is their only route.

Even with the RAP it was still necessary to get planes to play the game. Vice Versa - If you buy some planes that aren't BoB then you still need the BoB starter to play the game.

To their credit Ares have cured me of my minor wargame collecting addiction. Everything is not available (WGS RAP for some time) so I collect the minimum I desire. I am probably not their target customer.

Similar Missions

1. BoB Starter or RAP?
    By RCastro in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2017, 23:34
  2. Got my BoB Starter plus!
    By gully_raker in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2017, 04:12
  3. WGS WoG starter set WW2
    By HTRAINo in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1