Ares Games

Thread: DONCASTER 2017 Reports & Feedback

Default DONCASTER 2017 Reports & Feedback

Amazing to see so many people there for the Friday afternoon, over 25 people with more due tomorrow. Great to Welcome Karl our Lend Lease colleague from thr goood old US of A, and honoured to host our very own game designer Andrea from Italy. Will have a full roll call soon but big call out to Alfonso (Portugal), Sven (Germany) Guus (Holland), Dan & Kubash (Czech Republic), Paul (France) and Neil (Geordieland). A real multinational event. Wore the pirate bandana and took my seat at the boaty boy table this afternoon for a spot of sails action. Appointed as Admiral for the day the Royal Navy formed line astern and smashed through the French line. Despite a heavy pounding taken by myself and Steve we broke the line and did some real damage to the French ships, allowing Guus to bring in his 100 gunner and blast Doug out of the water, followed very closly by Reg in Frenchie number 2, that left the three of us to take on ALphonso in the one remaining French Ship. He was valiantly rammed by Steve, although Steve's ship was lost in the ensuing melee - I arrived (abruptly) behind him to off load his tired and wounded crew, whilst Guus moved in and blasted the life out of Alphonso's ship, which became a tidy proze for th Royal Navy to take back to port.

Looking forward to the full on action tomorrow - where I will have a chance to whip my Bristols out... see you after breakfast folks...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad to see you survived the first action of the day, Chris! Hope the flyboys had as much fun and success as you did...

I look forward to more 'reports from the Front' as the weekend progresses...

All the best,
    Matt

I am glad to hear that people are having a good time. Is your flagship called H.M.S. Bristol?

... and Neil (Geordieland) ...
    Priceless!

First game up I was playing the part of a young Horatio Nelson - when they said young I didnt realise they meant he was 8 !!
    A series of schoolboy errors preceded the heroic (and tragic) attempt to ram the French flagship at the Battle of the Nile - I did manage to set it on fire which led to its ultimate demise.
    A great days gaming followed by a nice get together in the evning - 33 of us around the table for dinner - which was nice.

I just want to extend my thanks to all those involved with organising and putting on games after mine and Alex' (Dirigible 2) visit yesterday!
    We had a great time! Alex loved racking up the points over the airfield, and we both enjoyed defending the Chain Home station!
    He is already looking forward to next years gathering (as am I, actually!)
    We'll put some photos up shortly....
    Thank you, all!!

Information obtained from chatting to Andrea as I gave him a list to the station....

Future releases - ALBERT BALL in a Nieuport, James McCudden in an SE5a - finally !

2018 planning has started watch out...watch out.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Information obtained from chatting to Andrea as I gave him a list to the station....

Future releases - ALBERT BALL in a Nieuport, James McCudden in an SE5a - finally !
    Outstanding news! Something worth waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirigible View Post
    I just want to extend my thanks to all those involved with organising and putting on games after mine and Alex' (Dirigible 2) visit yesterday!
    We had a great time! Alex loved racking up the points over the airfield, and we both enjoyed defending the Chain Home station!
    He is already looking forward to next years gathering (as am I, actually!)
    We'll put some photos up shortly....
    Thank you, all!!
    Alex played like a veteran and came away with the games top prize,even if he didn't get to kill you
    Hope to see you both again next year.
    Paul (spelt the same as your name)

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Afraid it still will not let me post pictures, so can't show our adventures with Karl yet. The Sails games are gradually going up over there though.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Amazing to see so many people there for the Friday afternoon, over 25 people with more due tomorrow. Great to Welcome Karl our Lend Lease colleague from thr goood old US of A, and honoured to host our very own game designer Andrea from Italy. Will have a full roll call soon but big call out to Alfonso (Portugal), Sven (Germany) Guus (Holland), Dan & Kubash (Czech Republic), Paul (France) and Neil (Geordieland). A real multinational event. Wore the pirate bandana and took my seat at the boaty boy table this afternoon for a spot of sails action. Appointed as Admiral for the day the Royal Navy formed line astern and smashed through the French line. Despite a heavy pounding taken by myself and Steve we broke the line and did some real damage to the French ships, allowing Guus to bring in his 100 gunner and blast Doug out of the water, followed very closly by Reg in Frenchie number 2, that left the three of us to take on ALphonso in the one remaining French Ship. He was valiantly rammed by Steve, although Steve's ship was lost in the ensuing melee - I arrived (abruptly) behind him to off load his tired and wounded crew, whilst Guus moved in and blasted the life out of Alphonso's ship, which became a tidy proze for th Royal Navy to take back to port.

Looking forward to the full on action tomorrow - where I will have a chance to whip my Bristols out... see you after breakfast folks...
    Thanks for this AAR
    But, a small rectification if I may ....
    Alfonso, although Spanish (and certainly not Portugese), currently is a valuable member of the Dutch Wing ... don't worry, no offence taken...
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Well done, that is excellent news, Chris! Did anyone else glean any new information from Andrea?

A photograph of a model of Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Name:  ACE-06.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  39.8 KB

A photograph of a model of James McCudden's S.E.5a.

Name:  999-6.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  53.3 KB

Really looking forward to these two models...any ETA on them?

I really hope this is correct, but since we just had the Nieuport reprint, is it possible that Andrea meant Albert Ball and James McCudden both in the upcoming SE5a reprint?

I'll buy them both, either way - we really need both pilots in both machines!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Softly softly catchee monkey Tim.
    Rob.

This is a photograph of Albert Ball in a Nieuport 16 whilst with no. 11 Squadron R.F.C.. He was later transferred to no. 60 Squadron on 23rd August 1916.
    Name:  tumblr_nv7v9l92IZ1rwiivfo1_500.png
Views: 235
Size:  164.6 KB

In his Wikipedia biography, there are these sentences," Upon return to No. 60 Squadron in France, Ball scored morning and evening victories on 15 September, flying two different Nieuports. On the evening mission, he armed his aircraft with eight Le Prieur rockets, fitted to the outer struts and designed to fire electrically. He intended to use them on an observation balloon. As it happened, he spotted three German Roland C.IIs and broke their formation by salvoing his rockets at them, then picked off one of the pilots with machine-gun fire. After this he settled into an improved aeroplane, Nieuport 17 A213. He had it rigged to fly tail-heavy to facilitate his changing of ammunition drums in the machine-gun, and had a holster built into the cockpit for the Colt automatic pistol that he habitually carried.".

We have heard from Canada that Ares are proposing a Starter Set for 'Triplanes and Tripods' containing a Martian War Machine and a rocket firing Nieuport. Could it possibly be that the Nieuport will be a replica of a Nieuport 16 flown by Albert Ball? This is pure speculation on my part.

Here are a few shots from Paul's Friday afternoon game.

" Lame Duck" in which I played an insignificant role flying an American aircraft which made a pleasant change.

Name:  IMG_5079.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  154.7 KB

Manoeuvring for position.
    Name:  IMG_5080.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  135.1 KB

My beautiful silver striped aircraft sets off full of promise.

Got one!
    Name:  IMG_5081.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  149.0 KB

There are more of the enemy.
    Name:  IMG_5083.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  100.4 KB

Where did that bandit come from
    Name:  IMG_5087.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  129.7 KB

Guess that will teach me to watch my six then!
    Name:  IMG_5088.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  145.9 KB

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-22-2017 at 06:00.

China 1938? Paul's Lame Duck game, surely?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

You are of course correct Steve. I have amended it accordingly thanks.
    Rob.

UnfortunatelY with myself taking over as 'Patient 0.1' over weekend China 1938 will hopefully be on next year.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Here are a few shots from Paul's Friday afternoon game.

" Lame Duck" in which I played an insignificant role flying an American aircraft which made a pleasant change.

Name:  IMG_5079.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  154.7 KB

Manoeuvring for position.
    Name:  IMG_5080.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  135.1 KB

My beautiful silver striped aircraft sets off full of promise.

Got one!
    Name:  IMG_5081.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  149.0 KB

There are more of the enemy.
    Name:  IMG_5083.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  100.4 KB

Where did that bandit come from
    Name:  IMG_5087.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  129.7 KB

Guess that will teach me to watch my six then!
    Name:  IMG_5088.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  145.9 KB

Rob.
    Thank you for posting the photos Rob. Camera is not responding to the download command at the moment.

Another possibility for an Albert Ball Nieuport 16 might be when the observation balloons are reprinted. Perhaps Ares might release some anti-balloon aircraft at the same time.

As far as I know, balloons are in reprint plan. May be again combination of a balloon and (rocket?) Nieuport 16? That makes sense

Just seen this - great time had by all - congrats.

Woooohooooo Really look forward to seeing them!

Mike book Doncaster into your time table for 2018 you won't regret it

Similar Missions

1. Doncaster 2017
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2017, 12:39
  2. National: DONCASTER 2017
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Belgian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2016, 11:41