Ares Games

Thread: 1/144th Models...

Default 1/144th Models...

Hi all! I see a lot of stuff about building 1/144th kits, where could I send for models such as Reviresco and Skytrex? And these models being made of metal, what "glue" should I use? Super glue, or an epoxy? I guess these guys are pretty challenging, eh? Joe

Heya Joe! Please don't let my current experiences with the kits I am building and photo-documenting scare you! I have run into some rough patches that have frustrated me... but I truly believe that these are exceptions to the norm.

Anyone with some basic skills and a somewhat steady hand can build these kits and paint them. It just takes patience and attention to detail at times! It also helps to kind of plan out what you are going to do ahead of time.

I use Superglue, preferably the gel version. I am not sure what what works best for Resin. One of the "Resin Experienced" members will have to answer that!

As for how to find the kits online: just google "Skytrex" or "Reviresco". Should be pretty simple to find from there!

Good Luck, and more importantly, make it fun!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

Yeah do not be intimidated by the models. Biplanes I find to be a little finicky only if the parts do not fit together well such as a bad mold.

A bad mold is the exception not the rule. I use gel super glue for Resin and metal. Especially for Biplanes I find the epoxy dries to slow and I do not have the patience and end up with glue over my fingers and my models as I wait for the epoxy to dry.

Joe, I prefer to use two part epoxy. This gives me time to make sure everything is lined up correctly. You can get it at Walmart. It does take a long time to set though. Look at my profile page to see pictures of some of the kits I have finished. If you can't find Reviresco and Skytrex let me know and I will send you a PM.

Default Resin models glue....

I have built many 1/144 scale resin warbirds and use crazy glue. Also use an accelerator for this glue. You can get this last item at any good hobby shop. It sets up the crazy glue immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Propjockey53 View Post
    I have built many 1/144 scale resin warbirds and use crazy glue. Also use an accelerator for this glue. You can get this last item at any good hobby shop. It sets up the crazy glue immediately.
    Personally I am not a big fan of accelerator when it can be avoided... I think it weakens the bond...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpopper View Post
    Hi all! I see a lot of stuff about building 1/144th kits, where could I send for models such as Reviresco and Skytrex? And these models being made of metal, what "glue" should I use? Super glue, or an epoxy? I guess these guys are pretty challenging, eh? Joe
    Good luck on building...for me, no skill, no time, no patience

I've never assembled a Skytrex or Reviresco model, but I've seen pictures of some and they look pewter. If they are, a trick I learned from assembling many pewter GW models is, a good wash in soapy water will to wonders for assembly.

Similar Missions

1. Balloon models
    By Khargor in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 07:56
  2. Stunning models....
    By Wodin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 09:07
  3. Other non-aviation models
    By Scoop in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6