Ares Games

Thread: Accidents to avoid while trimmimg excessive flash from Reviresco kits...

Default Accidents to avoid while trimmimg excessive flash from Reviresco kits...

Ouch...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dora finger.JPG  
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Major Ouchie!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headwound 1.jpg  
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Holy Cow that really hurts!!!

OK so I should stop giving the poor guys at Reviresco a bad time... I know tomorrow when I call to fuss a bit he will make good! But I could not resist poking some fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headwound 2.jpg  
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken...is that your head? I've heard of "head-bangers"...but come on!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Major Ouchie!!

We're going to have to censor this page for those with weak stomachs or under the age of xx whatever!

Yes Jim that is my head in all its shiny bald goodness! However the wound is a prosthetic makeup job... I was modeling it impromptu at a Haunted House convention early last June... Like I said, just poking some fun at my bad luck with Reviresco kits...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Wow! I thought that was real!

But I'm sure that those kits don't have so much flash that you have to remove it with a chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Wow! I thought that was real!

But I'm sure that those kits don't have so much flash that you have to remove it with a chainsaw.
    I thought on one of them I was going to have to get out my Dremel brand mini Jackhammer...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Hey there 'zipper head' -

Now this explains a lot Ken!

Did the alien get out and away OK???

That's not the usual way to take tonsils out!!!

If you placed a pink head band around your head you would look like a giant.................

At least it wasn't a nail gun through your jaw like the poor zap we saw on T.V. the other day. That one was for real and his name wasn't even Head either.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    Hey there 'zipper head' -

Now this explains a lot Ken!

Did the alien get out and away OK???

That's not the usual way to take tonsils out!!!

If you placed a pink head band around your head you would look like a giant.................
    Ok I set myself up for those...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    At least it wasn't a nail gun through your jaw like the poor zap we saw on T.V. the other day. That one was for real and his name wasn't even Head either.
    Rob.
    Cringing right now... yowch! How does one actually manage that???
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Cringing right now... yowch! How does one actually manage that???
    Fell of the roof whilst applying shingles and the gun went off.
    When they interviewed the Dr. who removed it, she said " That opperation was not part of my 7 years of training." The end of the nail ended up behind his eye socket about half an inch from his brain on the X ray they showed.
    Rob.

When they interviewed the Dr. who removed it, she said " That opperation was not part of my 7 years of training." The end of the nail ended up behind his eye socket about half an inch from his brain on the X ray they showed.
    Rob.
    Allrighty then.... cringing again!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Rob.
    He does things that stupid and they still managed to find his brain? Wow that's amazing

He does things that stupid and they still managed to find his brain? Wow that's amazing
    Couldn't have been too hard to find... the nail was pointing right at it!

Edit Update: Since I have been poking some fun at Reviresco for the excessive amount of flash on my recently ordered kits, I think it is only fair that I also point out that Mr. McEwan was very nice when I spoke to him about my missing parts on the phone today and seems happy to send me the replacement parts! I want to make sure and keep him happy, otherwise the next time I order from Reviresco I might end up with some wild mashup of parts as revenge!!!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 12-06-2010 at 22:28. Reason: update
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I'm still laughing at Kens first entry on this thread - "Ouch" ...Attached Thumbnails ... That's clearly his finger !!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Finally... Someone noticed! I went to a lot of trouble to find that "Dora the Explorer" bandaid!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Finally... Someone noticed! I went to a lot of trouble to find that "Dora the Explorer" bandaid!
    Yes Ken, and I noticed that you are now writing your postings in blood. See Mr. McEwan.
    Rob.

That was a very well done bit of make-up.
    You sure are a jokester Ken, ..... ha, ha, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    That was a very well done bit of make-up.
    You sure are a jokester Ken, ..... ha, ha, ha.
    I was amazed at how real it looked... and it only took him ten minutes and was easy to remove. It went on with only water... no glue... and stayed on for a whole afternoon and evening.

"Humor is just another defense against the Universe." - Mel Brooks

It is good have people to laugh with!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Couldn't have been too hard to find... the nail was pointing right at it!

Edit Update: Since I have been poking some fun at Reviresco for the excessive amount of flash on my recently ordered kits, I think it is only fair that I also point out that Mr. McEwan was very nice when I spoke to him about my missing parts ...!!!
    Umm...I'm afraid to ask... which of your parts was missing?

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    If you've seen the pictures at the start of this thread it is obvious

Oh, so uncharitable, and also unworthy of you, But true.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Oh, so uncharitable, and also unworthy of you, But true.
    Rob.
    LOL I lost that a LOOOONG time ago... Been functioning pretty well without it for years... medication helps... and we won't talk about the parts I lost in my last divorce, but I am pretty sure she has them in a jar on her mantle!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

LOL I lost that a LOOOONG time ago... Been functioning pretty well without it for years... medication helps... and we won't talk about the parts I lost in my last divorce, but I am pretty sure she has them in a jar on her mantle!
    I understand that having your credit card amputated can be very painful.
    Rob.

I understand that having your credit card amputated can be very painful.
    Rob.
    Yes it is, but not as painful as a balance transplant.

Yes it is, but not as painful as a balance transplant.
    Are you talking bank account balance or physical balance? Both of mine are pretty crappy right now... I could probably benefit from a transplant!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Sounds like maybe he had a very painful cashectomy performed on his bank balance.

I was going to get a brain transplant, but I changed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Sounds like maybe he had a very painful cashectomy performed on his bank balance.

I was going to get a brain transplant, but I changed my mind.
    Oh man... that is worse than some of the penguin jokes...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

OK... so the following accident did not occur while working with a Reviresco kit... in fact it occurred while working with a Nexus Albatross. I was removing the flight posts from my minis so that I could attach a Gimbal mount ball in its place. Some of the Albatross minis are metal minis. I was using a pair of flush cut pliers to trim off the posts. While cutting the post off an Albatross I noticed that I had left a ridge of the metal material behind. I am not sure what type of metal is used in these minis but I can tell you that it is not a soft metal. I grabbed an exacto knife in my right hand and while holding the mini in my left I proceeded to attempt to trim off the ridge. In doing so I snapped the very tip of my brand new blade off, and the amount of force I was using propelled the remaining blade forward and directly in the direction of the thumb of my left hand. I did not feel it. I only noticed the wet feeling on my hand a few seconds later... and the small puddle of blood... and then I realized I had sliced a good portion of the tip of said thumb off and left it hanging by a small amount of skin. Not fun...

I managed to eventually get the bleeding stopped and the thumb securely bandaged, and after cleaning up the small puddles here and there I went to bed, since I did not see how they were going to stitch it at the ER, and it was 3 AM. The next day I visited my local ER, and after 4 hours of waiting was able to have the tip of my thumb superglued back into place (They call it Dermabond... but it is superglue with a clotting agent...) One pressure bandage and a prescription for antibiotics later and I was on my way home.

Since I am required to wear this bandage for at least 24 hours, I have chosen to decorate it. It is my badge of stupidity... I am thinking of making a dunce cap for it as well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1409.JPG   100_1410.JPG  
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

OK... so the following accident did not occur while working with a Reviresco kit... in fact it occurred while working with a Nexus Albatross. I was removing the flight posts from my minis so that I could attach a Gimbal mount ball in its place. Some of the Albatross minis are metal minis. I was using a pair of flush cut pliers to trim off the posts. While cutting the post off an Albatross I noticed that I had left a ridge of the metal material behind. I am not sure what type of metal is used in these minis but I can tell you that it is not a soft metal. I grabbed an exacto knife in my right hand and while holding the mini in my left I proceeded to attempt to trim off the ridge. In doing so I snapped the very tip of my brand new blade off, and the amount of force I was using propelled the remaining blade forward and directly in the direction of the thumb of my left hand. I did not feel it. I only noticed the wet feeling on my hand a few seconds later... and the small puddle of blood... and then I realized I had sliced a good portion of the tip of said thumb off and left it hanging by a small amount of skin. Not fun...

I managed to eventually get the bleeding stopped and the thumb securely bandaged, and after cleaning up the small puddles here and there I went to bed, since I did not see how they were going to stitch it at the ER, and it was 3 AM. The next day I visited my local ER, and after 4 hours of waiting was able to have the tip of my thumb superglued back into place (They call it Dermabond... but it is superglue with a clotting agent...) One pressure bandage and a prescription for antibiotics later and I was on my way home.

Since I am required to wear this bandage for at least 24 hours, I have chosen to decorate it. It is my badge of stupidity... I am thinking of making a dunce cap for it as well!
    Does it talk to ya too? hehe

Yep... but all it can say right now is Throb Throb Throb Throb....we will have to work on increasing the vocabulary!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Wot! No cow spots on it yet? I'm ashamed of you Ken.
    Still It's good to know that they could re attach you to your appendage. The pain will decrease with a strong intake of alcohol, after you complete your antibiotics of course.
    Rob.

Yep... but all it can say right now is Throb Throb Throb Throb....we will have to work on increasing the vocabulary!
    Don't let it pick up any bad language. That middle finger is a bad influence.

Oh my!
    Remember kids, knives are sharp! Work the blade away from you!
    A lesson that I have had ro relearn time after time after time. In fact, I preferr not to use Xacto knives anymore after breaking the tips off several of them over the years.

Sometime in highschool an old modeler that had taken me under his wing showed me how to make hobby knives from old straight razors. I have made several over the years, and used them on everything from wood carving to balsa and tissue planes to 40K pewter minis. I have even used one from time to time modeling on a 1:1 scale (auto restoration.) I have never had one of these knives break, can use better leverage when clearing flash and can sharpen them enough to shave with if needed. And, best part, the raw materials to make one of these costs LESS then a pack of Xacto blades. Old razors can usually be found for under a buck around me, and the handles are made from scrap wood around my shop.

If you don't want to make a hobby knife, I have also found that box cutters work WAY better then Xactos, especially in trimming hard plastics and metals.

Zach

Right Zach, details of how to make and pictures please. You may save a Cowman for posterity, or at least from posterior pain.
    Rob.

I'll do a write up tomorrow if I have time. They are dead simple to make if you have a bench grinder (or some sort of grinder - even a dremel would work but take a lot longer) and some basic tools. The biggest key is to keep the steel COOL while grinding it, or you will kill the temper and have a knife that won't hold an edge. Keep dunking the steel in water while grinding, and that will be avoided. Don't wear gloves when grinding. If the metal is warm you your fingers, dunk it in the water to keep it cool. If it ever gets red, that part of the metal has lost its temper and may be problematic.

Basically, all you are doing is removing the handle from the straight razor, snapping or cutting the blade down to size (I like a 1.5 inch blade and the full tang) and then grinding to your desired shape (I like a sheep foot tip). Make a simple handle using two pieces of scrap wood - one side relief cut to hold the tang of the blade. Glue the blade and handle halves with 2 part epoxy, and then shape the handle to how it fits your hand best. You end up with a simple yet very strong knife that can be sharpened to razor sharp - that also happens to perfectly fit your hand.

Zach

Right Zach, details of how to make and pictures please. You may save a Cowman for posterity, or at least from posterior pain.
    Rob.
    "Tis true! I believe wholeheartedly after the day I have had today that it would be completely possible for me to slip while working on a model and end up having stitches in my cow heiney... One of my ex wives put a curse on me or something... anyone know a good witch doctor or voodoo priestess???
    Last edited by The Cowman; 02-07-2011 at 06:40. Reason: typo
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Similar Missions

1. Flash game
    By Gargoyle in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 21:43
  2. Skytrex/Reviresco kits
    By Dutchy in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 15:03
  3. Reviresco Kits
    By Mackenzie in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 29