Ares Games

Thread: Seeking feedback on AA gun rules

Default Seeking feedback on AA gun rules

The rules say to draw a damage card if a plane overlaps the AA token when it explodes. I'm thinking that every plane within a half ruler of the token should have a 33% chance of drawing a damage card. Any thoughts?

If you're using it for a demo/participation game I'd say no Rodney. AA can be devastating, if you open up the range it will be more so. Flak can be taken quite personally by participants (as by real pilots) and measuring someone into range has a potential for creating arguments or ill feeling.
    I use the solitaire rules for flak hits - drawing from an A deck, scoring a hit on any special damage, then drawing a C deck card for effect. It seems less personal to the participants and creates tension & laughs when cards are being drawn, especially if they draw them themselves. It's quick & easy to understand. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Morning Chaps
    We restrict the AA to the firing angle on the card and the length of the fire stick and only use the A deck ‘one card’ and find this works?
    By using only one card this restricts the level of damage a plane can take at any one time you can of course kill a pilot but that is very rare.
    If an explosion card is drawn the plane looses 50% of its remaining points this means they abort their mission or go for death or glory.

Hope this helps Kev

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

When I do the flak in my games I pretty mich do it straight up, as the rules outline.

I do agree with flash on the point he makes especially when doing a demo game.

What are you going to do if a ringer shows up and you've changed the rules from what is in the RAP book? Some of these guys are rules brokers and can quote you where the rule is, what page and how far down the page it is. Chances are you will have an argument on your hands and that won't be good in front of people who have never played and are potential prospects to purchase Wings material.

I do my WWI OTT Missions at our local game store and have at least one person a session ask what I'm doing. I explain to them, show them some spare planes I carry in my pack, show them a copy of the original rule and then show them the RAP book from the latest boxed set. I then explain the difference in thickness of the books.

Good luck on your demo game and I hope you get a few converts.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Flash, my experience with AA has been exactly the opposite: Almost completely ineffective to the point where I don't even bother using them any more. Keeping track of the burst/reload process for a gun that rarely hits anything is more trouble than it's worth.

I have had great success with AA guns, particularly when you can accurately predict where your target will go..............very little use in a dogfight, but LETHAL when defending balloons or lone ground targets!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RCastro View Post
    Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Flash, my experience with AA has been exactly the opposite: Almost completely ineffective to the point where I don't even bother using them any more. Keeping track of the burst/reload process for a gun that rarely hits anything is more trouble than it's worth.
    In that case either dump it or use the solitaire option - at least you stand a chance of getting some hits

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I have had great success with AA guns, particularly when you can accurately predict where your target will go..............very little use in a dogfight, but LETHAL when defending balloons or lone ground targets!
    I can vouch for that having been on the receiving end it !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    In that case either dump it or use the solitaire option - at least you stand a chance of getting some hits

I can vouch for that having been on the receiving end it !
    Thanks again, Dave, I will give the solitaire rule a try.

I figure that using flack against bombers (multi engine) would be completely unbalancing, as the bomber's base is so big, and it's movement sufficiently predictable (and slow turning) that it would be almost impossible to miss. Although I admit I have never actually tried it, for exactly that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post
    I figure that using flack against bombers (multi engine) would be completely unbalancing, as the bomber's base is so big, and it's movement sufficiently predictable (and slow turning) that it would be almost impossible to miss. Although I admit I have never actually tried it, for exactly that reason.
    You should see my son fly. Last weekend he went 4 for 4 on bombing runs with his Caproni. Took exactly ZERO AA hits. I'll reiterate what I said before: "Completely ineffective and not worth the trouble."

Quote Originally Posted by RCastro View Post
    You should see my son fly. Last weekend he went 4 for 4 on bombing runs with his Caproni. Took exactly ZERO AA hits. I'll reiterate what I said before: "Completely ineffective and not worth the trouble."
    I'm assuming that didn't involve much in the way of flying straight, and did involve plenty of turns? I mean, if I know a bomber is going to spend the next two phases playing straights, I can pretty much guarantee I can predict its position well enough to score a hit. (It 'is' phases, right?)

I'm assuming that didn't involve much in the way of flying straight, and did involve plenty of turns? I mean, if I know a bomber is going to spend the next two phases playing straights, I can pretty much guarantee I can predict its position well enough to score a hit. (It 'is' phases, right?)
    Have a go with the Solitaire rules Brasel - hits are reliant on a card draw not by counter placement.

Similar Missions

1. Feedback on how to use Bombers
    By BobRoberts in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-04-2016, 14:38
  2. Feedback Needed
    By 7eat51 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-16-2016, 03:23
  3. Need feedback from you WGS players
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 16:24
  4. Seeking feedback: Scenario for play
    By wbfritze in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 12:21
  5. New House rules: skill system, altitude, etc. need feedback.
    By graysin1337 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 19:30