Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Mission 15 - Belleau Woods - Semper Fi - 6 June 1918

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool OTTBE Mission 15 - Belleau Woods - Semper Fi - 6 June 1918

The Battle of Belleau Wood (1–26 June 1918) occurred during the German Spring Offensive in World War I, near the Marne River in France. The battle was fought between the U.S. 2nd (under the command of Major General Omar Bundy) and 3rd Divisions along with French and British forces against an assortment of German units including elements from the 237th, 10th, 197th, 87th, and 28th Divisions.[2] The battle has become a key component of the lore of the United States Marine Corps.
    On the evening of 1 June, German forces punched a hole in the French lines to the left of the Marines' position. In response, the U.S. reserve—consisting of the 23rd Infantry Regiment, the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, and an element of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion—conducted a forced march over 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) to plug the gap in the line, which they achieved by dawn. By the night of 2 June, the U.S. forces held a 20 kilometres (12 mi) front line north of the Paris-Metz Highway running through grain fields and scattered woods, from Triangle Farm west to Lucy and then north to Hill 142. The German line opposite ran from Vaux to Bouresches to Belleau.[3](pp107–108)

Attachment 231502
    Map showing location of the battle of Belleau Wood (U.S. Military Academy)

German advance halted at Belleau Wood.
    German commanders ordered an advance on Marigny and Lucy through Belleau Wood as part of a major offensive, in which other German troops would cross the Marne River. The commander of the Marine Brigade, Army General James Harbord, countermanding a French order to dig trenches further to the rear, ordered the Marines to "hold where they stand". With bayonets, the Marines dug shallow fighting positions from which they could fight from the prone position. In the afternoon of 3 June, German infantry attacked the Marine positions through the grain fields with bayonets fixed. The Marines waited until the Germans were within 100 yd (91 m) before opening deadly rifle fire which mowed down waves of German infantry and forced the survivors to retreat into the woods.[3](p108)

Having suffered heavy casualties, the Germans dug in along a defensive line from Hill 204, just east of Vaux, to Le Thiolet on the Paris-Metz Highway and northward through Belleau Wood to Torcy.[3](p109) After Marines were repeatedly urged to turn back by retreating French forces, Marine Captain Lloyd W. Williams of the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines uttered the now-famous retort "Retreat? Hell, we just got here".[4][5] Williams' battalion commander, Major Frederic Wise, later claimed to have said the famous words.[3](p109)

On 4 June, Major General Bundy—commanding the 2nd Division—took command of the American sector of the front. Over the next two days, the Marines repelled the continuous German assaults. The 167th French Division arrived, giving Bundy a chance to consolidate his 2,000 yards (1,800 m) of front. Bundy's 3rd Brigade held the southern sector of the line, while the Marine brigade held the north of the line from Triangle

Attack on Hill 142
    At 03:45 on 6 June, the Allies launched an attack on the German forces, who were preparing their own strike. The French 167th Division attacked to the left of the American line, while the Marines attacked Hill 142 to prevent flanking fire against the French. As part of the second phase, the 2nd Division were to capture the ridge overlooking Torcy and Belleau Wood, as well as occupying Belleau Wood. However, the Marines failed to scout the woods. As a consequence, they missed a regiment of German infantry dug in, with a network of machine gun nests and artillery.

At dawn, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines—commanded by Major Julius Turrill—was to attack Hill 142, but only two companies were in position. The Marines advanced in waves with bayonets fixed across an open wheat field that was swept with German machine gun and artillery fire, and many Marines were cut down.[3](p110)[6] Captain Crowther commanding the 67th Company was killed almost immediately. Captain Hamilton and the 49th Company fought from wood to wood, fighting the entrenched Germans and overrunning their objective by 6 yards (5.5 m). At this point, Hamilton had lost all five junior officers, while the 67th had only one commissioned officer alive. Hamilton reorganized the two companies, establishing strong points and a defensive line.[3]

Set Up:
    Bulldogs and Eagles

Bulldogs set up at near end of gaming area, Eagles set up at far end of gaming area.
    You are to use 6 planes appropriate to June 1918.
    You will need 4 scouts and 2 two seaters
    You may only fly 3 planes, for each side, in any combination you choose, at the start.
    Example:
    3 scouts
    2 scouts 1 two seater
    1 scout 2 two seaters
    Your other 3 planes will wait off board until one of the following conditions occur, when all three will then enter play:
    A) one of your planes gets shot down
    B) one of your two seaters drops his full bomb load
    C) one of your planes is forced to exit due to ENG, PILOT WOUND, FIRE DMG

You can use 3 maps if you have room for them or a 4ft x 6ft playing area.
    Belleau Woods needs to be close to center of the map turned so that a corner is 2 ruler lengths from each side. The Woods should be approximately 1 ruler wide by 2 rulers long.
    Position 3 "A" firing mg positions in the woods. These will take 8 points to destroy or a direct hit from a bomb.
    Opposite the woods 1 ruler width place 3 infantry positions.
    Your airplanes will come on the board from 1 of 3 positions at opposite ends of the board.
    Position 1--1 ruler from the right side, roll a 1 or 2
    Position 2--Center of your end of board, roll 3 or 4
    Position 3--1 ruler from the left side, roll 5 or 6
    Face any direction you choose.
    Two seaters get 2 bombs per plane, they can be dropped full load or 2 half loads
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170825_173703.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	231501

Mission Objectives:

Bulldogs and Eagles you are to provide close ground support to your side.

Bulldogs you are to bomb and neutralize 2 of the 3 mg nests in the woods, failure to do so will mean a larger loss of life for your side. Mg positions need 8 pts of dmg or a direct hit to destroy.

Eagles you are to bomb and neutralize 2 of the 3 infantry positions, failure to do so will result in the eventual taking of the woods by the Entente. Infantry positions will take 5 pts dmg or direct hit to destroy.

Bombs falling long are considered misses if they do not cover the dot on the card.
    Bombs falling short have a good chance of hitting your own troops, even if they cover the enemy red dot.
    Bombs covering the dot on the card will be considered as destroying the target.

Ground units can only shoot while you overlap that particular card.

The opposition force should be composed of purely scouts.
    They must meet the same starting conditions and reinforcement conditions as you do.
    If you choose to you can run both sides and see which one comes out ahead in VP.

Victory Points:

This ground is to be considered NO MANS LAND for purposes of C&W and E&E.
    Destroying enemy target: 5pts
    Shooting down Scout: 2pts per plane
    Shooting down 2 seater (Before dropping bomb): 4pts per plane
    Shooting down 2 seater (After dropping bomb): 2pts per plane
    Forcing plane to exit board early: 1pt per plane
    Bombing Friendly units: -5pts per unit

For future reference, and this is only for after everyone posts their AARs:
    The bomb load of each two seater will be only one bomb each.

SEMPER FI
    Last edited by flash; 09-13-2017 at 01:03. Reason: Addendums and clarifications

Great scenario Dale, well done. I will have to go back and watch that movie 'The Lost Battalion' again to get the claustrophobic feel of the fighting (full movie on youtube here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyJwtC8kwJM).

Have you considered limiting ground fire to aircraft overlapping the AAMG and trench cards only due to the dense woods?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

No I hadn't Carl. I forgot to mention ground fire , Thanks for reminding me. I'll go back and add that.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Attachment 231502
    Here is a map of the area around Belleau Woods. I couldn't get it to load in the brief.

Looks interesting Dale. I hope to get to it this weekend if possible.

What determines if you hit your own troops? If you fly parallel to the lines a short drop won't necessarily hit your own side.
    Are the ground targets the normal 5 points that strafing can knock out?

Need some clarification, Dale.

Are we to have 6 planes for the enemy side available as well?
    And are we supposed to attempt to achieve the enemy objective for them as well?

Based on the victory conditions it appears so.

Dave: please send me 4 Bulldog scout pilots a.s.a.p.
    On second thought, maybe I will use 4 Americans for the scouts. They can go into a 'pool' like the Belgians afterward (?)
    I will have 3 Bulldogs back after this mission - seems silly to have to get more.
    It will also give me a chance to use some of my Yankee aircraft.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Your right, if you fly parallel to your troops you should miss them. If you fly any other way you run the risk of hitting them. It will all depend on how many scouts are on the board when you make your run and whether you are being shot at by one.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Need some clarification, Dale.

Are we to have 6 planes for the enemy side available as well?
    And are we supposed to attempt to achieve the enemy objective for them as well?

Based on the victory conditions it appears so.

On second thought, maybe I will use 4 Americans for the scouts. They can go into a 'pool' like the Belgians afterward (?)
    I will have 3 Bulldogs back after this mission - seems silly to have to get more.
    Pete, that is the way I thought it up. But, now that I think about it more the opposition force should be purely scouts. There is no need for you to run both sides.
    But, if someone wants to go that way they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Pete, that is the way I thought it up. But, now that I think about it more the opposition force should be purely scouts. There is no need for you to run both sides.
    But, if someone wants to go that way they can.
    Thanks, Dale. I hope to play this Friday.

This looks superb Dale, I think I have added your map image into the BRF now. Uncle will be along later this morning to take care of the admin side of things.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Given your mission title I will share this photo of the entrance of the local high school. It was opened in 1942 and as you might guess there was a USMC presence in Brisbane at the time.

Name:	IMG_1657.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	231503
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 09-01-2017 at 06:05.

Four US scout pilots for Pete:
    Lt William Koch
    2Lt Harold Badham
    2Lt Sydney Callahan
    2Lt Lawrence Boyson

More American Bulldogs appear below the Belgians - Hun pilots for the use of !

As the guns are KO'd by direct hits only, how many goes will a two seater get at hitting its target Dale ? ie how many part bomb loads does it have ?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

I've made a couple adjustments, due to questions about the mission, and have highlighted them in bold print.

Carl, Thanks for the picture.

Dave, I have given each 2 seater 2 bombs and made the MG nests 8 dmg points, due to being in the woods and entrenched. The infantry positions should be 5 points as they were originally attacking by walking through a wheat field and are not entrenched.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Four US scout pilots for Pete:
    Lt William Koch
    2Lt Harold Badham
    2Lt Sydney Callahan
    2Lt Lawrence Boyson

More American Bulldogs appear below the Belgians - Hun pilots for the use of !
    Thanks, Dave - you da man!

Uncle: I need two German scout pilots please. I have rather a lot out wounded at present I'm flying all six eagles as scouts.
    They are only out until the next mission, so if you prefer, we could try out the two "two seater" pilots, to see how they get on, although their reactions may not be quick enough I guess! Otherwise may I help myself to the first two available from the training camp list?
    All set to go once the pilots are present.

Name:	IMG_20170902_160504.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	231587

Thanks in advance.

Played mine yesterday - or should I say "Yesterday & Today" *
    (Beatle fans in North America will get that reference)

I started around 11:00 am Friday and finished after 2:00 am Saturday!
    There was about a 45 minute break for dinner.

I guess I need to set a time-limit (or turn limit - this one went 27)
    The replacement aircraft kept this one going and going to "The Bitter End".

As usual there were cock ups - some discovered during the game and some when sorting things out this morning.
    I forgot to pay attention to the fact that ground fire could only take place against a plane touching the card, for one ...

Speaking of ground fire .... the rules in the RAP seem a little off.
    The opposite of AA where the C card special damage is ignored - "take an A card ignore the damage points on the card and count only special damage results."
    If I misread that it cost me a Hannover ...

Interesting scenario, Dale. Thanks for the chance to try my N.28s and SPAD XIIIs
    More shrink wrap in the garbage

Pete, I'm gagging to read your AAR but I dare not, yet! But 27 turns - That's a real mammoth. Well done for finishing it already. Must have been a hard day's night that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Uncle: I need two German scout pilots please. I have rather a lot out wounded at present....
    Nearly missed this - Note to all, PM me if you want additional crew please.
    Fwbl's Adolf Backhaus und Franz Tinschert have been assigned Mike - good luck !

Nearly missed this - Note to all, PM me if you want additional crew please.
    Fwbl's Adolf Backhaus und Franz Tinschert have been assigned Mike - good luck !
    Where did you find Tinschert? On a yellow brick road somewhere perhaps!

Thanks Uncle. Noted - Shall PM in future requests.

Looks a cracker Dale but might not be able to get it played before the end of the month what with Doncaster and holidays away from home.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Looks a cracker Dale but might not be able to get it played before the end of the month what with Doncaster and holidays away from home.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Mike,
    Your terrain looks awesome.
    Can't wait to see what happens with it and everyone elses AARs.
    The Paris-Metz highway looks to be a long and winding road.
    Play them when you can guys and post when you can.

One more question for you, Dale:

This ground is to be considered NO MANS LAND for purposes of C&W and E&E
    Is that the whole 3 maps or just the center one?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

I was considering the whole area, all 3 maps or the 4x6 area, as NML.
    The reasoning behind this was there was eventually quite a bit of movement of troops in the area that day.

Probably just as well.
    I might have had difficulty sorting out exact spots of 'oo killed 'oo where.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Probably just as well.
    I might have had difficulty sorting out exact spots of 'oo killed 'oo where.
    Exactly!! Good Luck to your guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Where did you find Tinschert? On a yellow brick road somewhere perhaps!
    Not quite. Found a site that just gave the surname as a pilot who had 3 unconfirmed victories so I thought I'd use it as it was such a good name !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Not quite. Found a site that just gave the surname as a pilot who had 3 unconfirmed victories so I thought I'd use it as it was such a good name !
    Agreed, great name!

Exactly!! Good Luck to your guys.
    Picked up these dice last month (couldn't resist) for the C&W and E&E rolls.
    WW II but what the hey ...

Name:	Dice.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	231784

Reasonably pleased with the results dealing with 10 aircraft in this AAR.

Thumbs up

Picked up these dice last month (couldn't resist) for the C&W and E&E rolls.
    WW II but what the hey ...

Name:	Dice.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	231784

Reasonably pleased with the results dealing with 10 aircraft in this AAR.
    Ooo! Nice Dice!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nice dice Barry

Nice dice Barry
    Actually Barry was commenting on my post, Dale

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Actually Barry was commenting on my post, Dale
    Either way Pete, I still like the dice.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

When I play this with a group I think I will limit the bomb load to one bomb per plane.

When I play this with a group I think I will limit the bomb load to one bomb per plane.
    If you use the bomb load outs from the rules sticky Dale you could dictate what is carried, eg Bristol's & RE8's have a 12pt full load / 6pt half load, with 8pts per target you could say they need to be direct hit twice with a half load to knock them out ?

BTW PM me if you would like a copy of the Belleau Wood map I made for the mission.
    I saved it as jpg and pdf.

Name:	Belleau Wood Aerial View.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	232165

Thumbs up

BTW PM me if you would like a copy of the Belleau Wood map I made for the mission.
    I saved it as jpg and pdf.

Name:	Belleau Wood Aerial View.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	232165
    Very Nice mate!
    I think I can download it from this image!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

It looks great Pete.

True Dave, I have a tendency to forget about that chart due to not using bombloads or load limits on planes. I rarely get to bomb things when playing and have more dogfights than anything else.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT ED Mission 18: Intercept the Bombers - June 13th 1917
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 18:10
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 07:12
  3. On this day 5 June - the B-29's first combat mission
    By 7eat51 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 15:20
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 05:33
  5. WGFO: German Fighter Units; June 1917-1918 (Osprey)
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 13:59