Ares Games

Thread: Japanese bombing mission

Default Japanese bombing mission

I met up with Dale (Setarius on the board) this past Monday night for a battle in Paducah. He came up with a scenario where Japan makes a surprise attack on a US airfield ala Pearl Harbor. 2xA6M5s and 2 D3As vs. 2xP-40s and 1x F4F Wildcat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 001.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 144.1 KB  ID: 230764" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

On the first turn the Japanese are winging their way in as I frantically try to get off the ground.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 002.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 149.2 KB  ID: 230765" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I gain some altitude and head straight at the Vals.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 003.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 179.0 KB  ID: 230766" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Well... crap. I went right past them, scoring some hits, but have left the way wide open for their bombing run.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 004.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 149.2 KB  ID: 230767" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The F4F has completed its turn and starts in pursuit of the Vals. The P-40s, having gone fast straight, are able to perform Immelmanns and try to get back into the fight. Meanwhile, the Zeros have come about and are about to make their presence known.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 005.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 175.0 KB  ID: 230768" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The bullets start to fly as they come to the merge...

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 006.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 166.1 KB  ID: 230769" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Success! My F4F and one of my P-40s take damage. But in return the Zero in the foreground is burning. Unfortunately, meanwhile the Vals are just about to their target.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 007.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 141.6 KB  ID: 230770" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Vals drop their bombs, and make their turns to clear the area. Hopefully I can at least be sure they don't make it back to their carrier. In the background the burning Zero is headed out to sea while the remaining one has performed an Immelmann and is heading back into the fight.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 008.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 145.1 KB  ID: 230771" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Val on the right takes a hammering, but is still flying. Meanwhile, the rear gunner manages to give my P-40 a rudder jam.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 009.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 138.1 KB  ID: 230772" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

My second P-40 tries to track down the 2nd Val. My F4f is right on the tail of the first one. My first P-40 is flying straight ahead trying to get the rudder to work. The Zero that caught fire goes into the drink, as his wingman continues to close to get back in the fight.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 010.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 139.2 KB  ID: 230773" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Zero tries to cut off the F4f to allow the Val to escape. My first P-40 pulls an Immelmann.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 011.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 142.9 KB  ID: 230774" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I missed taking a photo her, but my F4F got a shot at the Zero and splashed it. Now just a matter of running down the Vals.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 012.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 146.1 KB  ID: 230775" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

One down...

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 013.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 147.3 KB  ID: 230776" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8-21-17 014.jpg  Views: 50  Size: 190.4 KB  ID: 230777" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

And then the other.

I had a lot of fun with this scenario, though I'm disappointed that I didn't do a better job preventing the Vals from dropping their bombs on target. I still have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    I had a lot of fun with this scenario, though I'm disappointed that I didn't do a better job preventing the Vals from dropping their bombs on target. I still have a lot to learn.
    You did well to knock down all the enemy for no losses. Dale must have been cursing his luck!

Nice AAR!

If you Do not manage to appear right behind the dive bomber. It makes its way to the target.

Altitude makes it more difficult.

Experienced Pilots changes altitude the moment yo get in range. But this works only with a starting level of 4+, because the divers need 2 altitude levels to make the bombing run.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    You did well to knock down all the enemy for no losses. Dale must have been cursing his luck!
    I did draw a lot of 0 chits. I remember that the F4F took a total of 10 chits for a total of 9 points of damage. 5 of the chits were 0s. My luck usually goes the other way...

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nice write up Bob. I enjoyed the challenge of the scenario and a live opponent. I thought I would have been able to knock one of your guys out.
    I dropped the Vals from lvl 4 to lvl 2 and straight line bombed.
    We might break out some big bombers to see how we do with them.
    See you in a couple of weeks,

Thumbs up

Well played Chaps.
    Good to see the old USA come out on top for that one.

Nicely done ARR! Thanks for posting!!

Similar Missions

1. AAR: Day 1 - 266 Squadron Bombing Mission.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-17-2013, 19:47
  2. AAR Mission 9 Gun Ho AAR The bombing run Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 13:38
  3. Possible Mission: Japanese vs Americans
    By Royals in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 18:17
  4. New Years Eve Bombing Mission