Ares Games

Thread: Caproni crew hits

Default Caproni crew hits

So the rear gunner is more vulnerable than the other crew members and thus has two counters in the set to make it more likely he is hit.
    Now I maybe reading the rules wrong but when the rear gunner is hit you take another counter to see who else is hit too?
    Seems a bit harsh, sure he is easier to hit, but why does that mean another poor sod gets whacked as well?

Standard:
    As the Caproni has 3 crew use the crew casualt chits with Roman numerals I,II & III.
    These refer to the positions as marked on the Caproni crew control card.

When the aircraft suffers a crew hit:
    1. Pick a random choice from counters with pilot head on one side and Roman numerals on the other. This indicates position of wounded crew member.
    2. If the position is the pilot mark pilots position on card with a casualty marker (Grey pilot chit) and return counter to the pile. If the pilot could fire a gun then he cannot do so. If the gunner, and he has multiple choice of positions, then mark each with a casualty marker and remove this (Roman numeral) chit from the random choice. This position cannot be used again.
    3. It takes two crew hits on the pilot to kill him.

Advanced.
    Take the green chits with a 1-3 on one side (within a white explosion) and single or multiple heads on reverse.
    1. For each crew hit draw one of these to indicate how many crew hits have been sustained.
    2. Draw from the Roman Numeral counters as in the standard above for which crewman takes which hit. Remember only replace the pilot counter in the random mix and remove any gunner hits as above.

Download Caproni rules here:
    http://www.aresgames.eu/4222
    See you on the Dark Side......

The rules there state that the Caproni has 4 crew: front gunner, pilot 1, pilot 2 and rear gunner. Its says take 5 hit counters and I-IV are the crews hits plus V is an extra one for the rear gunner (due to him being exposed). It then says: if the V counter is drawn then the rear gunner is hit and choose another counter from I, III and IV to see who else is hit.
    I guess its just a draw back to the plane.

My apologies Steven I read this from a generic multi crew rule from the book. I have 2 Caproni's but neither are Ares models I just thought the rules were the same. Reading through the sheet on the site then yes you are correct.

No problems Neil, it's a bit of a bummer rule but those is the rules it would seem.
    Are your Caproni's diecast?

Yes picked both of them up for Ł8 ea and got the bases from the Aerodrome Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    So the rear gunner is more vulnerable than the other crew members and thus has two counters in the set to make it more likely he is hit. Now I maybe reading the rules wrong but when the rear gunner is hit you take another counter to see who else is hit too?
    Seems a bit harsh, sure he is easier to hit, but why does that mean another poor sod gets whacked as well?
    These are optional rules Steven - if you look at the ares info sheet that came with the Caproni it says [For use with crew damage optional rule].
    Of course it doesn't tell you what that is but it's in the RAP on p20 under extended crew damage or if you don't have the RAP you will find it in the Flight of the Giants rules which are linked here on the site in the files section and I have quoted below.
    These rules take into account a burst of fire possibly hitting one or multiple crewmen when a wound card is taken.

"Expanded Crew Damage Optional Rule:
    The Expanded Crew Damage Optional rule allows you to use an even more accurate system to keep track of the wounds suffered by the crewmen, improving the realism level of the game. This symbol [wounded crew card] means that one of the crewmen is wounded. This special damage must be revealed.
    If you decide to use the Expanded Crew Damage optional rule, you will still use the airplane management card to help you to keep track of the wounds suffered.
    If special crew damage is suffered by a plane and if the crew comprises three members, take three green crew tokens (with “1–3” on the backs), two of which have a picture of one crewman and one of which has a picture of two crewmen on the fronts, mix them face down, and choose one at random. The drawn token indicates the number of crewmen hit.
    If the crew is composed of four or more members, take six yellow crew tokens (with “4+” on the backs), three of which have a picture of one crewman, two of which have a picture of two crewmen, and one of which has a picture of three crewmen, mix them face down, and choose one at random. The drawn token indicates the number of crewmen hit.
    Once you have determined how many crewmen have been hit, you have to check to see who has been hit, so take as many wounded crewman tokens (with consecutive numbers starting from “1”) as there are crewmen on the airplane and then put them face down on the table. Draw one of those wounded crewman tokens at random and reveal it.
    Now you know the first crewman who is hit, so you have to put a casualty marker on his role circle on the airplane management card and then repeat the procedure if there are any other crewmen hit."
    That being the case the standard rule where just one crew member takes a hit then on a II or V the rear gunner gets chopped; if using the optional rule above where multiple crewmen may be hit, should you draw a V the rear gunner and another get chopped.
    Last edited by flash; 08-22-2017 at 10:41.

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dave. That is all the info I need. You are a star.

We aim to please

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Crew Hits
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2017, 09:49
  2. Caproni crew
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-12-2016, 14:29
  3. Extended crew damage (for multi-crew aircraft)
    By Prodromoi in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-19-2015, 12:07
  4. Multiple Crew Hits on Two Seaters
    By EhindsVCS in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2014, 01:13
  5. Observer Hits and Rudder Hits
    By bstuck in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2011, 06:32