Ares Games

Thread: Newbie tactics help

Default Newbie tactics help

So, after a whole weekend of WoG dogfights I have a few questions to ask about tactics during battle.

1) My friend has two 2 seaters ( 1x german 1x english) of which both can immelman turn. Whilst running them in tandem with a fast fighter he often ends up doing race tracks of immelman after immelman and peeling off the fast fighter if one of my planes flies off to get distance and shoots me up the 'arris. I often use my little moraine (with a spad)and it cannot cope with the endless 2 seater racetrack or peeling off tailing fighter. Should I use a better fighter instead?

2) How do you deal with similar tactics?

3) My Germans found it better against this tactic as their slowest plane of the duo is a DR1 which I found is a menace due to its 90 turns and better speed. But the 2 seater is still a pain and normally i pick on it after dealing with his fast fighter. In basic rules games are the immelman racetrack tactics a powerful trick? Or am I just in need of tuition?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Popsical; 08-16-2017 at 13:06.

Hi Steven! I've got a couple of quick thoughts...

First, WoG works best (especially WGF) when each player flies a single kite... the level of coordination permitted by flying two at a time results in formation flying I find a little a-historical (no radios!). But flying multiple aircraft isn't strictly illegal, so I understand if that's not necessarily helpful.

More specific to your observations...

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    I often use my little moraine... Should I use a better fighter instead?
    Simple answer...? Yes. Without a doubt.

I'm assuming you're referencing a Morane-Saulnier N... the Morane should be outclassed by most two-seaters. It wasn't particularly well-armed, nor was it particularly fast. Only 49 were built, and their time at The Front was limited as it was quickly out-paced by newer designs. It can be argued that it was a better aircraft than the early Fokker 'E' series, but that's immaterial here. Against two-seaters, I'm not surprised that you find it inferior... it's both slower and out-gunned by the opposition. Find yourself a faster, two-gunned scout.

Whilst running them in tandem with a fast fighter he often ends up doing race tracks of immelman after immelman and peeling off the fast fighter if one of my planes flies off to get distance and shoots me up the 'arris.
    Ouch. Yeah... that's a tough one. No doubt... two-seaters are dangerous, especially those that can reverse. Despite this... they failed to dominate the skies over the Western Front (with the exception, perhaps, of the Bristol Fighter)... why? Blind spots, among other reasons. From your post, I can't be certain what optional rules you're using... but two-seaters are limited by a number of "optional" (I always use them) rules. First, (RAP, p23) Blind Spots. Observers can't shoot through their own tails. And this extends to any lower altitude (RAP, p24). If you're behind (and/or below), that two-seater is in a world of hurt. To complicate matters further for Franz und Emil (German names for pilot & observer), and according to rules concerning Immelmann turns... (RAP, p24), observers cannot "fire at a target in the rear firing arc immediately after using that maneuver card or the maneuver card played just before or after it." This is huge. In other words, when performing the three cards in an Immelmann sequence, the two-holer is prohibited from engaging targets in its rear arc. As a result, it's not all that different from a single-seat pursuit aeroplane... except it's usually slower. This lessens the effectiveness of the Immelmann loop/racetrack.

...a DR1 which I found is a menace due to its 90 turns and better (my emphasis) speed.
    If you're describing the Dr.1 as having better speed... then you need to find yourself better kites!

Seriously, it sounds as though your observations are based on a couple of things... the most important of which is that you're playing with a variety of aircraft from different time periods. This has a tendency to cause problems, as the pace of advancement was ridiculous. Aircraft that dominated the skies above the Western Front when they were introduced could find themselves hopelessly out-classed in a matter of months (or sooner!). Additionally, the rules as written (minus optional rules) favor two-seaters. They have all the advantages and none of the disadvantages... they can be flown as pursuit aircraft, but with a with a "sting" in the tail! Adding altitude and a number of additional optional rules balances the system... somewhat.

I hope my thoughts help... I'll think on this tomorrow and see if I can't give you something more substantial.

Cheers,

Christopher

I agree with what Christopher said. Another thing you could do, if you can afford them, is to buy some two-seaters of your own.

Cheers Christopher. My reference to the DR1's speed was in comparison to the Moraine N lol. Until later this week I only have 4 planes, that is changing fast tho as my folks have got me a few for my birthday! I will have a couple of 2 seaters (1 german and 1 allied) plus a Caproni soon! Im really looking forward to flying the big kite and seeing how she handles.

Maybe using the altitude rules is the solution to endless immelman racetracks. I will check out the rules.

Thanks for asking the questions, Steven. I've learnt something from the answers.

No worries Doug! Are you finding similar tactics that need dealing with?

No worries Doug! Are you finding similar tactics that need dealing with?
    Two things that I keep struggling with are 1) remembering in the planning phase that the opposing plane won't be in the same position as it is now for manoeuvres 2 & 3. I know it in my head, but it's hard actually picturing where it might be, and therefore where I should be.
    Secondly, 2) judging the turning circles of the different planes. I usually turn too far rather than not enough. It may be because unconsciously I don't take into account the length of the base which is part of each manoeuvre. The cure for this I think is practice, practice, practice, ... Fortunately, when life is reasonably normal, our little group plays quite regularly so it is possible to get practice.

I think I will apply the "blind spot" rules for two seaters in future games. Maybe that will mitigate the power of them in dogfights.

Don't worry Doug, I found that a problem too when I first started playing SoG. As you say, with practice you get a better idea of predicting planes locations through phases. After playing a lot of SoG I have found it has softened the difficulty of maneuvering in WoG.

Similar Missions

1. AAR Mission 2: Change of Tactics
    By rkwright in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 10:10
  2. Combat Tactics in the SWPA
    By Baldrick62 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 21:06
  3. Squad tactics?
    By Von Hinnebusch in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8