Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviresco Sopwith Camel Build Project

Default Reviresco Sopwith Camel Build Project

It is 3:00 AM and I spent most of the day in bed with a sinus infection... I want to start airbrushing my two other builds, but I can't run my really loud compressor without risking waking my 80 yr. old Pop... so I decided to start on the Camel!

1. Clean off any flashing on the model
    2. Fill any cavities and rub down.

There was a bit of flash on the wings of this kit... but it is not in too terrible shape! Took me about an hour to clean up the parts and define some of the details so they would not get lost after priming.

Before Flash Removal:

After Flash Removal:

On to basic assembly!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    There was a bit of flash on the wings of this kit... ]
    Could be worse. They could have just sent you a block of metal and told you to cut away any parts that don't look like a Sopwith Camel.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Could be worse. They could have just sent you a block of metal and told you to cut away any parts that don't look like a Sopwith Camel.
    Harsh but fair

Ken, loathe though I am to admit it, the castings don't look half bad after you've had your way with them.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Oh mercy would that turn out scary!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Looks like you're on the way to a nice build...send us a pic or two as you progress please.

Keep us posted on your progress, so far so good.

Step 3: Glue together fuselage halves.
    Step 4: Glue on front cowling.
    Step 5: Glue on bottom wing.
    Step 6: Fill seams with white putty and sand as needed.

No real trouble with any of these steps at all. I will let the pictures do the talking.

So on to the next steps... the tail assembly...

oh wait.... hmmmmmm something seems to be missing...

The lovely folks at Reviresco have managed to send me yet another kit missing a part!! This time no horizontal tail fins. Just priceless... WELL that puts this build partially on hold 'til I get on the phone with Reviresco and... well you can imagine... GRRRRRRRR.

I guess I will have to concentrate on getting those other two WIPs painted and finished now.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

"The lovely folks at Reviresco have managed to send me yet another kit missing a part!!"

Who'da thunk it

How are Reviresco like in replacing parts? Would have thought they'd have had enough practice to be pretty good at it now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    "The lovely folks at Reviresco have managed to send me yet another kit missing a part!!"

Who'da thunk it

How are Reviresco like in replacing parts? Would have thought they'd have had enough practice to be pretty good at it now.....
    I spoke to Mr. McEwan at Reviresco today... he was very cordial and said he would be more than happy to send me the missing parts. He asked me to send the request in an email (I assume so he would not forget). I will detail my other concerns in that email as well, and let you know what kind of reply I get!

In the meantime I am working on mounting the struts and top wing... but I may be replacing the struts with brass, as the ones that came with the kit are very soft!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Step 8: Measure, Cut and attach flat brass struts. File, putty and sand wings at strut holes.

I have now received my replacement parts from Reviresco. I measured and cut four flat brass struts and glued them in place to the bottom wing, lining them up carefully. I then filed down the burrs from the cuts and filed down and puttied imperfections created by altering the wing holes to fit the new struts. With this build I am going to hold off on attaching the top wing until an appropriate point during the painting process. This will allow me better access to the fuselage and bottom wing.

I also puttied a few spots I missed on the fuselage.

Next comes the tail assembly.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Looking ok Ken keep it going

Enjoy following your builds..keep up the good work.

You have alot patience and skill. It is looking good. Can't wait to see it all painted up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    You have alot patience and skill. It is looking good. Can't wait to see it all painted up.
    Thanks... Neither can I!!! But all this darn Holiday Hooplah keeps sapping away my modeling time!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Thanks... Neither can I!!! But all this darn Holiday Hooplah keeps sapping away my modeling time!
    Tell me about it Ken. I've got this Staaken in its box, and for some unknown reason my games room has been magically changed into a dining room until New Years Day. So no flying or modding till 2011. Bah, Christmas, humbug. I blame the change to the room on that Fairy Godmother from Cinderella. You know where fairies end up in my house.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

looking good! keep up the good work!!

Where does this project stand now?

Still under construction. Just been busy with the Holidays and lopping off body parts...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

1-2-2011

Update: Thumb is feeling better ( have not slammed it in any doors recently.) I will be priming the current parts for preliminary painting tomorrow, doing said painting, and then moving on to final assembly, detail painting and touch up after that. Should have a finished product and some pics by Friday or Saturday!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

9: Prime parts to prepare for preliminary painting before assembly.

Parts Primed:

On to fuselage, cockpit, and under wing painting
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Delays, Delays, Delays!!!

Gentlemen (and Ladies??? where are the Ladies?!?!?), I wanted very much to show you a finished product on both this and the Tripe project for my upcoming tourney... however I hit a couple of small snags (Imagine that!)

Between not being able to hold anything tiny (like landing gear parts) with the big bandage on my left thumb; and having broken all my tiny Pin Drill bits, I find myself unable to continue until I can acquire both some new bits and a set of reverse action tweezers... hopefully both at my FGLS when I run the tournament there tomorrow. Its always something!!! Hopefully in a couple of days... hang with me!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Okay Ken, we want progress! [grovel, grovel]

Default Well Whatya Know... I am makin' a new Post!

Thats right Gentlemen (and Ladies) after only 4 months of yet more Delays, Delays, Delays due to sickness, injury, surgery, and preperation for the Origins Games Fair... I am finally posting something new to this project.

Since Origins starts in less than two days, and we need as many minis as we can get for that World Record Attempt, I have been taking the time to finish up the Camel (amongst the dozens of other minis I have been working on, and the bazillion projects I have to finish in the next 36 hours or so...

As such:

Step 10: Do preliminary painting mentioned in Step 9

Pretty self-explanatory... and here is what I have accomplished this evening/morning, with just a "bit" of touching up remaining before I begin assembly:

Assembled product coming tomorrow. Decals of some sort to follow!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Good to find you back in the saddle Ken. It looks as if your plane is coming on well. Don't take any risks now, Origins needs you in one piece. Good luck on the day.
    Rob.

Looking good Ken!

Thumbs up

Ken!

You better get a MOOOVE on with this project! They need this thing at the front!

Rich

Hmmmm must be the Sopwith Holstein. Looking great so far!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I have to be honest, Ken, at first the Reverisco kit looked horrible. I thought, no way are you going to make that Cowmel look decent. But, your pre-assembly pictures and paint job...well, you've turned a sow's ear into a cool looking cowplane! Brian is correct, I believe that is the Sopwith 5F.1 Holstein, is it not? Can't wait to see the finished build out on the tarmac.
    Last edited by Hunter; 06-23-2011 at 18:41. Reason: spelling

I want to see a whole squadron of Sopwith Holsteins now

First time i've seen a silk purse made out of a cows ear Ken. well done that man. I award you the of the month award, although it is a bit of a wrench for me to do it.( I said wrench not wench)
    Kyte.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 06-24-2011 at 01:03.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I prefer wench.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I prefer wench.
    I expected as much!
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    First time i've seen a silk purse made out of a cows ear Ken. well done that man. Kyte.
    Looking good Ken. Contrary to the popular view Ken shows you can actually polish a turd

Hey Ken I hope you kept all that flashing. Make two aircraft and you will have metal left over to make a third.
    Looking good.
    Linz

Steve!

That is what Ken has named that plane! Patti which is short for COW PATTI!

Rich

OK.... so most of you probabaly forgot that this project existed... but my arm has finally started recovering enough from the surgery to allow me to do fine motor skill work for short periods of time. As Such:

Step 11: Let the Construction Continue

Next Step: Final assembly, detailing, and decals (in a few days with luck.)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Good to hear that you are one step nearer to a full recovery Ken. This will get me out of having to do a "How to" on a Camel. Great stuff Ken, milk it for all you are worth.
    Rob.

Great to see you working on things again Ken! Don't feel to bad bout the slow progress buddy... I've still not finished off those last few details on the Gothas you gave be back in June

As for Rob's comments... I think I'm going to have to have Alan make me up a smiley beating a drum and cymbals. Badoom doom tsss!

Keep at it Ken.
    Don't feel bad about taking so long to complete it, it takes me months just to slap a bit of paint on.

Good to hear that you are one step nearer to a full recovery Ken. This will get me out of having to do a "How to" on a Camel. Great stuff Ken, milk it for all you are worth.
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Great to see you working on things again Ken! Don't feel to bad bout the slow progress buddy... I've still not finished off those last few details on the Gothas you gave be back in June

As for Rob's comments... I think I'm going to have to have Alan make me up a smiley beating a drum and cymbals. Badoom doom tsss!
    LOL two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff... and Keith I would have figured you to have had those completely repainted by now... they were not my best work.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Glad to hear your getting better, it's been an "udderly" tough year for you!

Step 12: Final assembly, detailing, and decals

Assembled and attached the undercarriage. Touched up a few rough spots of paint. Added decals (BGIF theme.) Clearcoated and let dry.

...and so ends a very long and drawn out build. Enjoy!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken that is GREAT!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adrian
    Sorties Flown

Awesomely awesome, congrats Ken!

Adrian

Great piece of work Ken. Obviously back in the Moowd for painting then. Like your Buckeye logo on the fuselage.
    Rob.

Thanks gents... and yes my right arm is now able to Mooooove much better thanks to the surgery and recovery.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Thanks gents... and yes my right arm is now able to Mooooove much better thanks to the surgery and recovery.
    Good to hear your right arm can now reach your mouth again Ken. To the bar.
    Kyte.

Good to hear your right arm can now reach your mouth again Ken. To the bar.
    Kyte.
    WOOOOOHOOOOOO!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

That must be one of the longest builds to date. Well done for getting it finished. Great job.
    Just thinking how long did it take TS to acturally make the Camel? And there was a war going on to. Oh that's right it's still going on just in miniature form.
    Glad to hear your arms better
    Guess Kytes been giving it som exercises so here are some more
    Linz

You've done an amazing job! Great finish. Thanks for teaching me that repainting a Nexus mini is the way to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Sopwith Pup
    By sucklingpig in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 02:44
  2. Reviresco Sopwith Triplane Build Project
    By The Cowman in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 22:32
  3. Anyone want to build me a Gotha?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room