Ares Games

Thread: Could it be done?

Default Could it be done?

Ever since joining the Aerodrome I've thought of what it would be like to have a get together where the Aerodrome members could meet face to face and fly together (or against each other). We've all made friends here and it would great to some day meet some of them. A sort of Aerodrome convention, if you will. I know the logistics of this would be mind numbing, but it's fun to dream. Maybe mini conventions for countries or regions . . . you never know . . .

I think it could be done! Maybe not every active member would be able to afford a trip... and making it a stand-alone convention might make it pricey... but there are plenty of conventions out there that could be used for the purpose of getting together... I know that Origins (as an example) provides a discounted Con rate for gaming groups... I am betting other Cons might do the same...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Have a look at this thread. It is still something I've got on the back, back burner for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Have a look at this thread. It is still something I've got on the back, back burner for ideas.
    I'm game! Sounds like a great place to meet up!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    If that doesn't work out there's also Wright Pat. AFB in Dayton, OH??

...or a trip to DC @ the Smithsonian...those planes don't fly now but they are on display....

...or to KC at the national WW1 musuem. Besides planes, they have a great mock-up of WWI trenches...just some ideas...

GenCon in Indianapolis? (Might give a much-needed break from being The BOFH and having to club A&AM animals over the heads every few minutes...)

Heck, maybe if we could sync up with NHMGS's annual "Game Day" there we could do something at the Museum of Flight in Seattle... or it's rather out-of-the-way, but maybe Evergreen in McMinnville (the Spruce Goose people) could put up with us.

*imagines an "every plane ever printed with custom minis where needed" WoW Mother Of All Battles in the Spruce Goose's hold*
    Last edited by Diamondback; 12-04-2010 at 14:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    GenCon in Indianapolis?

Heck, maybe if we could sync up with NHMGS's annual "Game Day" there we could do something at the Museum of Flight in Seattle... or it's rather out-of-the-way, but maybe Evergreen in McMinnville (the Spruce Goose people) could put up with us.

*imagines an "every plane ever printed with custom minis where needed" WoW Mother Of All Battles in the Spruce Goose's hold*
    Sounds good to me.

I'd suggest we "piggyback" with NHMGS (http://nhmgs.org/) one year, and then see if we can get a referral from them to the Museum's "Events" people to see if we could get a slot of our own later, like maybe as part of their next WWI-oriented weekend. (Of course, if a few folks were to show in WWI or WWII aviator gear and do some "Living History/Reenacting" guide-duty when not at the "Pilot's Lounge" table, that might help too...)

I could get on-board with this -- mainly as the H-4 is only about 20 minutes away from my house. :)

I'd suggest we "piggyback" with NHMGS (http://nhmgs.org/) one year, and then see if we can get a referral from them to the Museum's "Events" people to see if we could get a slot of our own later, like maybe as part of their next WWI-oriented weekend. (Of course, if a few folks were to show in WWI or WWII aviator gear and do some "Living History/Reenacting" guide-duty when not at the "Pilot's Lounge" table, that might help too...)
    So we are talking about May 2011? At the last enflade, May 2010, there were two WoW tables. Do you want me to see if I can set up our own table?

I may not make Enfilade '11 (and even if I do I may be busy with A&A demos for a contact @ WOTC), but it seems that if us Dromies could get in first on the WoW events and have one be "WoW.org members get first dibs but anyone's welcome", that'd be a good time to meet the movers 'n' shakers--then see if they'll get us a table or two at the Museum's Game Day in November (IIRC usually the weekend before Veterans' Day) and introduce us to somebody there who we can pitch the idea to.

I'd give you the email for one of my contacts, but it's in my offlined Outlook from before my web-host borked over my site and email, so I'll have to snag it while offline and get back to you.

Sometimes, it really is who you know, and even who they know... lol