Ares Games

Thread: Color on Merit models

Default Color on Merit models

I picked up some of the Merit aircraft, and I have a question. The color seems very light to me. The F4F in the game is quite a bit darker. I also have some 1/600 scale aircraft I've painted, and these seem much closer to the correct shade than this Devastator or the F4F. I'd like to get some opinions from those of you who know more than I do. The 1/600 in this photo is hard to see, but it's the best I can do. Any comments & advice is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paint test.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	230224

I have the Merit Dauntless and Devastator planes. I checked out the Osprey book I have on the Dauntless and the plates look about that color. More of a gray then a blue so I guess the color would be a gray/blue shade. I repainted some ARES Wildcats and used Prussian Blue. Closest color in the hobby shop I thought looked right. I guess for me what I think looks good is good for me.

The colour became darker as the war went on.

The Merit Wildcat/Dauntless/Devastator look fine to me for early/mid 1942.
    By 1943, a darker colour was in use (I have used "Oxford blue" for this in the past) on upper surfaces/sides; sources differ as to whether the undersides retained their earlier mid/pale blue, or were sometimes a pale blue/grey. Then, when the 3-colour scheme came in (late 1943-44) I used "Midnight blue" upper, "Intermediate blue" sides and white undersides.
    The very late war 1944-45 all-over-scheme I used "Midnight blue" alone.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I decided to try my hand at painting up on of the Merit TBDs I picked up. Before:

Name:	TBD001.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	230598

and after:

Name:	TBD002.jpg 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	230599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TBD003.jpg 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	230600

I used Polly's Ocean Gray 5-0. This is almost an exact color match to the F4F in the original starter set. My TBD ended up slightly darker because of the shading I added to it, so I'll use less ink next time.If you look at the tail you'll see the decals that come with the planes do not go to the bottom of the tail as they did historically. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to allow my CDO to urge me to paint striping down the rest of the tail.

Another question for anyone - what is the general thought as to painting up aircraft in pre-war paint schemes? I know they wouldn't look historically correct in a game, but I really like the yellow-winged paint jobs on the pre-war naval aircraft. Would doing that turn people off to using them in a game?

For those of you who have painted these up - did you leave the landing gear on or take them off. I decided to cut them off and glue back on in the "gear up" position - I figured that would make one (actually two) less thing to risk getting broken off.
    Last edited by Bobsalt; 08-20-2017 at 18:12.

Very nice Bob. A vast improvement in my eye.

As for the yellow pre-war colors, if you like it, do it. If I show up at a game you are running and these are present, I would definitely fly one.

I don't have any Merritt models but on the Maisto B-24s and B-17s I cut off the 'down' landing gear and modify for flying position.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    I decided to try my hand at painting up on of the Merit TBDs I picked up.

I used Polly's Ocean Gray 5-0. This is almost an exact color match to the F4F in the original starter set. My TBD ended up slightly darker because of the shading I added to it, so I'll use less ink next time.If you look at the tail you'll see the decals that come with the planes do not go to the bottom of the tail as they did historically. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to allow my CDO to urge me to paint striping down the rest of the tail.

Another question for anyone - what is the general thought as to painting up aircraft in pre-war paint schemes? I know they wouldn't look historically correct in a game, but I really like the yellow-winged paint jobs on the pre-war naval aircraft. Would doing that turn people off to using them in a game?

For those of you who have painted these up - did you leave the landing gear on or take them off. I decided to cut them off and glue back on in the "gear up" position - I figured that would make one (actually two) less thing to risk getting broken off.
    Great result!

Paint up some yellow-winged USN aircraft, and have them intervene in a 1939/1940 "China Incident" alongside the P-40 "Flying Tigers"?

When I get around to my Merit USN planes, I will definitely go 'gear up'.

I have 3 AIM Avengers and 4 Corsairs that I am waiting to paint. I was wondering what the correct color should be so I have to say thanks to Tim for that info. I did a repaint of 2 Wilacats with PRUSSIAN Blue and it looked dark but went with it because regular blue didn't look right. Have to get the colors Tim recommended.

Vallejo put out a great paint set, Air War - USN & USMC colors. I used it for my Hellcats. See them in the painting showcase with a full description of the paint set contents.

I am stopping buy the local hobby shop tomorrow so have to ask if they can order that se for me and I know of two other LFGS that can order. Thanks for the info.

Similar Missions

1. 1/200 scale Merit models!
    By clipper1801 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-25-2018, 12:46
  2. New Merit Models, Looking for tips/advice
    By Warhawk in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 11-06-2015, 22:14
  3. WGSF B-25J Merit conversion
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 40