Ares Games

Thread: Series 5: Ammo & fuel revisited.

Default Series 5: Ammo & fuel revisited.

After checking out sources (both historical and here) I've pretty much come to the conclusion that fuel and ammo aren't really major issues that need tweaking in our game. KotA and a few other House Rules posted here already do a very nice job of addressing these areas.

HOWEVER......has anyone considered the fact that the additions of the DH.2 and the Fokker E.III (as well as other future releases of very early war aircraft) may make this an even more appealing issue for review? As I recall, some of these planes only carried 50 rounds of ammo or so.....and, of course, fuel capacity would have been really limited as well.

When meeting other aircraft in the air that would eventually make them obsolete, these differences would be very pronounced.

Just wondering.......

I don't think they carried that little ammo. You might be thinking of the 47-round drums used by the Lewis gun (until Lanoe Hawker developed the 97-round "double drum"). The DH2 carried up to 5 of the lower capacity drums, including the one on the gun. Pretty sure the Eindecker generally used a ~500 round belt. The really early aircraft likely carried much less ammo, but I don't think you'll be seeing them in the game anytime soon.

The 47-round drum would be a real handicap in-game for those using ammo house rules. You'd only get 1-2 shots off before being forced to reload in most versions, even worse in versions which limit in your card choices when reloading. Surprised to read that the RNAS didn't use the 97-round drum (at least not officially) until they were amalgamated with the RFC.

BTW, did you ask about performance changes for aircraft loaded with bombs ? Seem to recall someone asking anyway. The reason I mention it is that I downloaded a copy of the Flight of the Giants rules from FFG last night and there's an optional rule for it in there (and bomb load capacities). Roughly, while fully loaded you increase climb rate by 1, can't do Immelmanns and have to do two non-steeps between steeps.
    Last edited by IRM; 12-03-2010 at 08:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    After checking out sources (both historical and here) I've pretty much come to the conclusion that fuel and ammo aren't really major issues that need tweaking in our game. KotA and a few other House Rules posted here already do a very nice job of addressing these areas....

When meeting other aircraft in the air that would eventually make them obsolete, these differences would be very pronounced.

Just wondering.......
    BINGO! I think limited fuel and ammo rules, in general, would really slow down the play without a significant increase in enjoyment.

I've been using ammo rules in all but pick-up games for quite a while. Wouldn't say it slows things down much, we just use dice of the appropriate size (D12 to D3) placed on the control board to count shots (and as many spare dice as needed next to the board to represent reloads).

Similar Missions

1. Limited ammo
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 19:50
  2. Limited Fuel
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 16:11
  3. Fuel
    By Raffvantye in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 2