Ares Games

Thread: Why are there 12 zones in the solo rules?

Default Why are there 12 zones in the solo rules?

I think the solo rules are a great contribution to the game and community, and thank you to all contributors.

Excuse my question, but may I ask what the purpose is of having 12 different zones when the charts only specify 6?
    For example, according to the charts, I take the same action if the enemy plane is in zone 12 as I do in zone 1.
    Zone 2 & 3 are the same, zone 4 & 5 are the same, zone 6 & 7 are the same, 8 & 9 and 10 & 11.
    In reality there are only 6 zones, not 12. And if I just remember there really are only 6, then it is easy to remember them and I can easily just eyeball it without a template:

Eye an imaginary line from my stand to the enemy plane stand. If the line passes through:

The front edge of my base: zone 12/1 (I'd rather just say zone 1)
    The front half of the right edge: zone 2/3 (I'd rather just say zone 2)
    The back half of the right edge: zone 4/5 (I'd rather just say zone 3)
    The back edge of my base: zone 6/7 (I'd rather just say zone 4)
    The back half of the left edge: zone 8/9 (I'd rather just say zone 5)
    The front half of the left edge: zone 10/11 (I'd rather just say zone 6)

In my opinion, a template is only needed when I'm trying to figure out of the enemy plane is in (for example) zone 8 or zone 9, but it's pointless to split hairs at that level because the resulting chart is the same!

I used to wonder if there were 12 zones so one could use a clock to describe the position, "enemy fighter, 6:00!" but that isn't right because 12 is not straight ahead and 6 is not straight behind.
    Does 12 zones just allow for future expansion of the rules? (the possibility of finer grained positioning?)

I'd love some insight on the 12 zone rationale...

Hi, the 12 zone template was due to some experimentation on my part, where I tried to make the solo system work differently for different planes by making it possible to have different play arcs, for example, heavy bombers could use zones 11-2 as one arc and 5-8 as another, with 3-4 and 9-10 as the flank sectors.
    I still have a thought that asymmetrical sectors could make an interesting variant. Especially with planes with a single tight torque turn.
    Its not come to anything yet. Really, the current 6 play sector is working fine for me. I just wanted a single template for all planes, and haven't yet done one with the paired zones (12-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-11)- which could make it easier to see?
    The base insert would be a simple way for me to do this, as it could be tailored for each plane.

I briefly looked at this when I did my D8 charts, I thought that I could have variable overlapping zones eg 12/1; 1/2; 2/3 & so on but I found most the manoeuvre decks are not really up to that level of refinement and it makes it over fussy. I might look at it again though.

"He is wise who watches"

I have wondered that myself since I started playing solo two years ago.
    I was going to work on a variation that better took into account facing and direction of travel, as well as utilizing each of the 12 sectors but have not been able to find the time.
    Still on my to-do list ....
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 08-02-2017 at 14:34.

So it sounds like the 12 zones are for possible additional features or detail that are so far unrealized.

Thanks guys, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I have wondered that myself since I started playing solo two years ago.
    I was going to work on a variation that better took into account facing and direction of travel, as well as utilizing each of the 12 sectors but have not been able to find the time.
    Still on my to-do list ....
    One problem I keep coming across in trying to make it more variable is finding the space on an A4 sheet, making the icons and text smaller just seems to make it difficult to read.
    I did once try a more detailed version, but found the game no better really. Having 3 options of Manoeuver seemed to me to give sufficient unpredictability in the solo plane.
    I am also strongly of the opinion that a solo system that is too complex is often tiring to run and slows the game. Even in its present form, playing solo and opposed games shows that solo games take nearly twice as long to play.

...and where can I find this chart? I tried searching the files for solo rules and struck out....any help on this would be very much appreciated.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    One problem I keep coming across in trying to make it more variable is finding the space on an A4 sheet, making the icons and text smaller just seems to make it difficult to read.
    I can see where that could be a problem for printed sheets.
    I modified Flash's D8 version so that it works in Excel and brings up the 3 cards to be played, so I don't have to worry about the size of the type etc.
    If I expand it will be using that format as I hate rolling dice and looking up results.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    ...and where can I find this chart? I tried searching the files for solo rules and struck out....any help on this would be very much appreciated.
    Bill
    The solo rule charts are here Bill, kept in the scenarios file.
    Richards are here on his blog
    Last edited by flash; 08-02-2017 at 23:26.

"He is wise who watches"

I did once try a more detailed version, but found the game no better really. Having 3 options of Manoeuver seemed to me to give sufficient unpredictability in the solo plane.
    I am also strongly of the opinion that a solo system that is too complex is often tiring to run and slows the game. Even in its present form, playing solo and opposed games shows that solo games take nearly twice as long to play.
    Me too, it started to get a bit squeezed with the D8 but was worth the effort - the reason I did it was to use all the cards available in as many options as I could so where a plane has three cards of a particular manoeuvre it will get to use them eg three side slips; three sharp turns. I think if I went any further I'd have to go double sided !
    Solo games only take longer because we have to do it all - if every player in a game had a chart it would speed up the decision process of many !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The solo rule charts are here Bill, kept in the scenarios file.
    Richards are here on his blog
    Thank you, Dave!
    Bill

Richard, I play the advanced solo rules often and enjoy them immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Richard, I play the advanced solo rules often and enjoy them immensely.
    Hi, I am always grateful for the kind comments and suggestions that appear here on the Hairy-drome. If there is a consensus, I would be quite willing to redo the solo rule zones on all the files. My suggestion would be to have 6 zones as at present, but the forward would be 12, the rear 6, front right 2, rear right 4, rear left 8, and front left 10. this is so it would fairly accurately replicate historical bearings.
    If its wanted I will do it, though it might take a little time!

betwysch

Hello all.
    I improved my Base insert file (which was thankfully uploaded by Richard Bradley). In this new version there are 4 12-sector-base-inserts and 4 6-sector.base inserts. I will upload the file soon.

Willy
    Last edited by betwysch; 08-04-2017 at 08:55.

Hi there!

As there was no club today, it being August, I redid the solo rules as a six zone system! It took less time than I thought!
    I added a line in the written part of the rules after successfully introducing it in my Sails of Glory and X-Wing solo rules, this makes planes running out of the battle less likely by the simple expedient of replacing the diced manoeuvre with a card combination that turns the plane towards its nearest enemy!
    If anyone wants to try it, please contact me at richardbradley5@gmail.com and I will send you the PDF's

This is a scan of the new template...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	229800

If its ok I may replace the older version on our website!

I hope you like it.
    Last edited by Herkybird; 08-06-2017 at 00:56.

Hi there!

As there was no club today, it being August, I redid the solo rules as a six zone system! It took less time than I thought!
    I added a line in the written part of the rules after successfully introducing it in my Sails of Glory and X-Wing solo rules, this makes planes running out of the battle less likely by the simple expedient of replacing the diced manoeuvre with a card combination that turns the plane towards its nearest enemy!
    If anyone wants to try it, please contact me at richardbradley5@gmail.com and I will send you the PDF's

I hope you like it.
    Thanks for this.
    Bill

Yes, and thank you for your efforts to develop and provide rules for a solo system!

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Thanks for this.
    Bill

Hi there!

I hope you like it.
    Now Keith [Oberst Hajj] will have to do up a new template, too!

Name:	solotemp-8265.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	229830

Link: Aerodrome Accessories.com - Solo Play Template
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

...If its ok I may replace the older version on our website!
    Don't replace it Richard - add it !

"He is wise who watches"

And I just received my 12 zone template from Keith last week...

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Now Keith [Oberst Hajj] will have to do up a new template, too!

Name:	solotemp-8265.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	229830

Link: Aerodrome Accessories.com - Solo Play Template

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarflord22 View Post
    And I just received my 12 zone template from Keith last week...
    I have asked our website guy to put the new version on the website, possibly as a variant, and leave the older 12 zone rules up. If this isn't possible I am keeping the old rules on my laptop so they can be got by e-mailing me.

Sorry for making the lovely acetate version redundant! It can still be used, of course just by ignoring odd numbers and using the number to the left of it.

Sorry for making the lovely acetate version redundant! It can still be used, of course just by ignoring odd numbers and using the number to the left of it.
    Simples!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by betwysch View Post
    Hello all.
    I improved my Base insert file (which was thankfully uploaded by Richard Bradley). In this new version there are 4 12-sector-base-inserts and 4 6-sector.base inserts. I will upload the file soon.

Willy
    Did this 6 sector version ever get uploaded?

betwysch

Name:	base_inserts_6_sec.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	230067

If someone wants to try my version of the 6_sector base insert please contact me at willy_schneider@t-online.de and I will send a pdf-file.

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    Did this 6 sector version ever get uploaded?
    Hi again, at the mo, I am still waiting for our tech guy to upload them onto our website. I am getting them uploaded onto the Aerodrome files section too.
    Until they are approved, you still need to contact me direct and I will send them direct to you. See post #15 above.
    Last edited by Herkybird; 08-09-2017 at 13:56. Reason: Updated

Email sent.

If someone wants to try my version of the 6_sector base insert please contact me at willy_schneider@t-online.de and I will send a pdf-file.

Willy

Willy
    More lovely work there Sir

LoL, after just two beers I read: Why are there 12 zombies... "

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    LoL, after just two beers I read: Why are there 12 zombies... "
    No, just the one Zombie that wrote the rules!

I just uploaded the new version solo rules to the files section here, its in the moderation queue at present.
    Last edited by Herkybird; 08-09-2017 at 13:54. Reason: Update

Hi again, at the mo, I am still waiting for our tech guy to upload them onto our website. I am getting them uploaded onto the Aerodrome files section too.
    Until they are approved, you still need to contact me direct and I will send them direct to you. See post #15 above.
    Sorry, I was referring to the 6 section base insert by Willy (betwysch). I already have the 6 version solo rules, now I just need to email Willy for the base insert.

Thanks all

Our web guy is back from his holiday now, and the updated 6 zone system is up on our website! http://herkybird.tynesidewargames.co.uk/wofg.html

Similar Missions

1. Attention SoG Players - Solo Rules and Solo Campaign
    By 7eat51 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 09:46
  2. AAR - 1st Solo - Trying out the Rules
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 14:50
  3. Help With Solo Rules
    By flyerneil in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 6