Ares Games

Thread: Pfalz D.III Re-paints

Default Pfalz D.III Re-paints

Almost finished re-painting my 6 Pfalz D.IIIs.

The first was an easy choice. Good old Berthold of JG2. The same paint job as my Berthold Fokker D.VII and I even used the same decal from Dom's Jasta 15 sheet:

I've started using the Peter Pig pilots and have given him a red scarf to match the nose and struts

Next I turned to Jasta 10 and a re-paint of Kleins plane using the colours in the Osprey book. The black stripes along the fuselage are my first ever home made decals. Simple but effective and I'm very proud if them and have a couple of spare sets (if anyone wants them PM me):

Klein has a nice yellow scarf to match the tail of his plane. This became a theme with the pilots as you will see.

Next a simple Klein re-paint into Aloys Heldmann's plane with a blue tail (and scarf):

Then on to a third with 2 black bands around the fuselage and a green tail (and scarf) for Vfw Hecht. This one is thought to be a later re-paint of Verner Voss's plane:

Then another plane for Aloys Heldmann from the Osprey book. This is an earlier paint scheme with purple and green camo (and purple scarf):

All planes are still in gloss awaiting the final spray of matt one the sixth one is completed. To complete the last one I'm waiting on some white decal paper to make another of my own decals. More of that later as it's my bed time now

Nicely done as always Tony - do you ever get time to fight them ??!

"He is wise who watches"

Very well done, especially the pilots!

Tony you are definitely the man! Very Very Nice!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Good looking repaints Tony. Also a first I think. I have not seen any previous Pfalz repaints.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Must be nice playing with them on the table, good job.

Very nice,
    You beat me to it as I have a few Jasta 15 decals left and I was just waiting for a plane from Dom to repaint.
    I do like the Aloys Heldmann plane as well I might try that one.
    Don

Thank you all very much for the excellent comments I love to share my work on here.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nicely done as always Tony - do you ever get time to fight them ??!
    No not much. The modelling is the biggest part of the hobby for me and now that I've started making my own parts and decals it's getting even better

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Good looking repaints Tony. Also a first I think. I have not seen any previous Pfalz repaints.
    Rob.
    Cool. I was hoping to steal a win on these.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Very nice,
    You beat me to it as I have a few Jasta 15 decals left and I was just waiting for a plane from Dom to repaint.
    I do like the Aloys Heldmann plane as well I might try that one.
    Don
    Just couldn't resist it. If you look through my album you'll see that I've done Fokker D.VII's, Albatros D.Va's and now Pfalz D.III's in Jasta 15 colours using Dom's sheet and I plan to do at least a couple of SSW D.III's in it to.

I'm happy to supply details of the colours that I used if you're interested?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    Just couldn't resist it. If you look through my album you'll see that I've done Fokker D.VII's, Albatros D.Va's and now Pfalz D.III's in Jasta 15 colours using Dom's sheet and I plan to do at least a couple of SSW D.III's in it to.

I'm happy to supply details of the colours that I used if you're interested?
    Just what I was planning to do, I do like the Jasta 15 colours red/blue.
    I have only done some Fokker DVIIs and an Albatros DVa so far.
    Details of the colours would be great.

Burt

Default from ronald

nice job what kind of pant did you use?

Someone....tell me about these "Peter Pig" pilots that Tony mentions. Where are they available? We'd love to fill some of these empty seats that some of the WoW aircraft come with! Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    Someone....tell me about these "Peter Pig" pilots that Tony mentions. Where are they available? We'd love to fill some of these empty seats that some of the WoW aircraft come with! Walt
    Go to www.peterpig.co.uk and click on 'Heads and Odds'. They are near the bottom listed as:
    72. 144th scale pilots for WW1 planes (6 strips of 4 = 24 pilots).

They also do:
    77. 144th rear gunners (German)(12 in a pack)
    78. 144th rear gunners (British)(12 in a pack)

Very nice Tony ( and not a light blue body in sight).

Nice job! I really loved the pilots!! Are they very difficult to place into the planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Very nice Tony ( and not a light blue body in sight).
    Exactly, thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Nice job! I really loved the pilots!! Are they very difficult to place into the planes?
    No not really. I paint them while still on the sprue and then pop them in with a spot of super-glue. Good idea to test fit first for cockpit depth if you've remove a 'blob'. Thanks.

Tony, how did you get your blobs out?

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    Good question - the ones I tried to remove steadfastly refused to play ball. In the end I had to carve the blob down then stick a Revirsco pilot on top of it.

Nice paint jobs by the way.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I use a dremel and carefully grind the old pilot/blob down to a stump then stick a peter pig pilot on top of the stump.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    Now that's a bit personal George

I use my Mini-craft drill in a drill stand with a flat faced milling tool. Hope that makes sense?

Excellent work!

I've just finished my sixth and last Pfalz D.III. It's Hans Bohning of Jasta 79b.

I'm particularly proud of this one as the HB and cross on each side is my second ever set of home made decals. As I can't print in white, I got a bit clever here by printing the black onto white decal paper as a rectangle containing the required white detail (HB +) as background colour. Cut it out and the black blended with the black paint on the plane.

I was so chuffed I can tell you as I waited over a week for the white decal paper to arrive.

Notice the signature white scarf -

That was a nice work-around with the white decals...love the scarf by the way!!

I have been toying with getting some white decal paper myself. Now that I have seen the superb job that you have done, i will splash the cash far more happily.
    Thanks for yet another great contribution to our fast growing hobby.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Now thats just plain ....superb

Default Good Job

Good job steady hand.

Those are fantastic, Tony, and the Pfalz is my favorite plane. Great Work!!

Excellent job. Thanks for sharing...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Spot on! It's certainly inspired me to do a few Pfalz repaints when I can afford a few more planes!

Tony you have inspired me to have a go at the Green & Purple Aloys Heldmann, wil post a pic when completed.
    Have you finished your repaints yet? Would love to see them in their finished states

Great work Tony!
    Those pilots really add to the appearance especially with the Scarfs. I too like the Pfalz, very pretty Aircraft.

Congratulations! Great job and nice minis.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Tony you have inspired me to have a go at the Green & Purple Aloys Heldmann, wil post a pic when completed.
    Have you finished your repaints yet? Would love to see them in their finished states
    Yes they are all finished now. I haven't taken any photo's yet. I'll try and do one with all 6

Tony

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Thumbs up Very inspiring!

At the risk of stating the obvious, what needs to be said is that even at such a close view, the work is crisp and clean. Very inspiring!

Thanks for sharing.

Erin

Tony your inspiration caused this

Very nice again Chris and I'm so glad that I've added to your impulsive behaviour. Oh and your re-painting confidence too. Well done for giving it a go. The results speak for themselves

Between this thread and the Osprey book, I went out and bought 3 more Pfalzs for repainting.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I use my Mini-craft drill in a drill stand with a flat faced milling tool. Hope that makes sense?
    I use a hammer and a "wrecking screwdriver" unless restrained.

On everything.

Much cheaper than proper tools ;-P

Fortunately my canvas overcoat with the wraparound sleeves keeps me out of too much trouble and when I get a scheme for another repaint on the cat my wife has a cricket bat.

Then another plane for Aloys Heldmann from the Osprey book. This is an earlier paint scheme with purple and green camo (and purple scarf):
    Can purple really be considered camo?

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Can purple really be considered camo?
    When the enemy use black and white cameras yes. After all the idea is just to break up the outline.

I didn't think that the Germans were bothered about camouflaging their planes.

Those are great paint jobs.

Great work. Was not a big fan of the Pfalz for a repaint, but I am now.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

Very nice, I wasn't keen on the Pfalz colour schemes so it's good to see what can be done.

Now if we can only convince Tony to do repaints for hire he can quit his day job!

I'd love to, but you just couldn't afford me.......

....but if there is a millionaire out there who wants someone to build kits and paint them, or just re-paint WoW models, just PM me

I'd love to, but you just couldn't afford me.......

....but if there is a millionaire out there who wants someone to build kits and paint them, or just re-paint WoW models, just PM me
    Actually Tony, I was thinking that when I hit the Lottery next weeek I would ask about buying your current collection for 500 British Pounds Sterling per model. I would of course have to ask for free shipping... I mean I can't get carried away and all...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Actually Tony, I was thinking that when I hit the Lottery next weeek I would ask about buying your current collection for 500 British Pounds Sterling per model. I would of course have to ask for free shipping... I mean I can't get carried away and all...
    Sold! I'll start packing them right away.....

Similar Missions

1. Pfalz D.III Decals
    By tonyc206 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 11:51
  2. Pfalz Pfun
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 18:28
  3. Flying the Pfalz
    By Pooh in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 3